1 Million Voices for Irish Unity

Started by Feckitt, October 01, 2013, 10:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2013, 01:48:04 PM
I'd like to see how the United Ireland would be funded.
Fair play to the Brits for sponsoring NI, btw.

They've had to sponsor the 26 fairly heftily of late too, lest ye forget.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Rossfan

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 01, 2013, 12:28:30 PM
.....and as such I am not a member. I really am sorry if that is a disappointment to you.
I'm absolutely shattered at that news.  :'( :'(
There I was  for years waking up every morning and thinking how great a place the world was with Nally Stand being a member of Sinn Féin.
To have all that taken away from me in one go is too much for any man to bear. :-\

Get over yerself buicín - No one gives a hoot whether you're a Shinner or not. You just seem to know an awful lot about them and their activities and are forever defending them here. If it walks like a duck and all that.
I presume you are also well versed in the doings of the SDLP, UUP, DUPes etc etc and can give chapter and verse of their activities too ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Nally Stand

Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2013, 03:25:00 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on October 01, 2013, 12:28:30 PM
.....and as such I am not a member. I really am sorry if that is a disappointment to you.
I'm absolutely shattered at that news.  :'( :'(
There I was  for years waking up every morning and thinking how great a place the world was with Nally Stand being a member of Sinn Féin.
To have all that taken away from me in one go is too much for any man to bear. :-\

Get over yerself buicín - No one gives a hoot whether you're a Shinner or not. You just seem to know an awful lot about them and their activities and are forever defending them here. If it walks like a duck and all that.
I presume you are also well versed in the doings of the SDLP, UUP, DUPes etc etc and can give chapter and verse of their activities too ;)

I'd love to believe you don't care, but your last two or three posts directed at me, over two different threads, are all about me supposedly being a member of SF. I've told you about a week ago that I'm not a member yet here you are still whining about it....move on like a good man  :)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

seafoid

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 01, 2013, 03:20:41 PM

When is the last time the wee 6 ran a surplus ?

Nally Stand

Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2013, 04:02:48 PM

When is the last time the wee 6 ran a surplus ?

A long time. It's a failed political entity. It shouldn't exist as it's own entity. My only point in the previous post was that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...no point in making jibes about the six counties being funded by the brits when they are having to help bail out the other 26 too.

Feckitt

Lads all this talk about the ecomony is bollocks and ye all know it.  The partitionists both north and south, didn't agree with a United Ireland during the boom, and they don't agree with it now in the recession.  It has to be about more than the economy.  I wouldn't want a United Ireland if my only reason was an extra fiver in my pocket.  Uniting the country is about so much more, and the way to do it is one piece at a time. 

Giving all Irish citizens a vote in the next Presidential election is a move towards uniting the country.  It may only be a small step, but it is an important one.  And that is how the country will be united, one small step at a time.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Feckitt on October 01, 2013, 04:12:15 PM
Lads all this talk about the ecomony is bollocks and ye all know it.  The partitionists both north and south, didn't agree with a United Ireland during the boom, and they don't agree with it now in the recession.  It has to be about more than the economy.  I wouldn't want a United Ireland if my only reason was an extra fiver in my pocket.  Uniting the country is about so much more, and the way to do it is one piece at a time. 

A point I have raised before on here....

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 15, 2011, 05:07:00 PM ---Question 16. Is "cost" just the standardised excuse for apathy towards Irish Unity, in the 26 counties? During the Celtic Septic Tiger years, I didn't hear much mass outpouring of support for Irish Unity south of the border. People just seemed to blissfully forget about the issue... the party was in full swing and everyone was too preoccupied living like kings. It just begs the question - if when times were good, many in the south didn't care about the north, and when times are bad, they say it's just too expensive to unite the nation,.... when will people care?
--- End quote ---

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=19037.20;wap2

Hardy

Really? When did that happen?

deiseach

Quote from: Feckitt on October 01, 2013, 04:12:15 PM

Giving all Irish citizens a vote in the next Presidential election is a move towards uniting the country.  It may only be a small step, but it is an important one.  And that is how the country will be united, one small step at a time.

There are logistical obstacles to a united Ireland. The NHS is a big one for me. Nordies would get quite a shock if they found themselves having to deal with the VHI.

However, where there's a will there's a way. There's a simple response to those banging on about the shocking cost of dealing with the cost of the North and why it means they must reluctantly spurn the joys of reunification. If the Brits agreed to take on our debt burden in exchange for rejoining the Union, would they take it?

Feckitt

Correct, and conversely NS, I assume that yourself like me supported unifying Ireland during good times and bad.  Therefore the economy isn't anywhere nearly as important as people are making out.

Last year I went to a SF 'Uniting Ireland' conference, and they spent hours talking about the economic benefits.  Some of it made sense and some of it was fairly dubious, However I think that they are missing the point.  It isn't about the economic benefit, it's more about every other benefit, not least a sense of pride in yourself, and your country.

I honestly think that the continual small step approach is the best way to get us there.  Now that the Presidential thing is sorted, let's get another bit built.

tyronefan

armaghniac

QuoteIt has to be about more than the economy.  I wouldn't want a United Ireland if my only reason was an extra fiver in my pocket.  Uniting the country is about so much more, and the way to do it is one piece at a time.

It is about unity, which requires both parts to play a full part, not one part be less than the other.

QuoteCorrect, and conversely NS, I assume that yourself like me supported unifying Ireland during good times and bad.  Therefore the economy isn't anywhere nearly as important as people are making out.

That's not what the polls show.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

That link is about a loan at 5.9% - a couple of points above average UK bond yield.

So, back to the question - when "of late" did the UK "sponsor" this country?

Feckitt

Quote from: armaghniac on October 01, 2013, 04:34:52 PM
QuoteIt has to be about more than the economy.  I wouldn't want a United Ireland if my only reason was an extra fiver in my pocket.  Uniting the country is about so much more, and the way to do it is one piece at a time.

It is about unity, which requires both parts to play a full part, not one part be less than the other.

QuoteCorrect, and conversely NS, I assume that yourself like me supported unifying Ireland during good times and bad.  Therefore the economy isn't anywhere nearly as important as people are making out.

That's not what the polls show.

Polls my arse.  If suddenly joining meant that we would all be millionaires, then Tom Elliot and all still wouldn't want it.  Therefore the idea of holding a referendum and then suddenly joining a united Ireland is nonsense.

The only way to do it, is to create it, by joining one piece and then another, and then another, until before you know it, the country is more and more united.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Hardy on October 01, 2013, 04:35:43 PM
That link is about a loan at 5.9% - a couple of points above average UK bond yield.

So, back to the question - when "of late" did the UK "sponsor" this country?

Ah right, just a loan. Not that any loans were needed sure.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9813358/British-taxpayers-funded-Irelands-14bn-bail-out.html
"Almost one pound in every four injected into the two state-backed banks by the Government has gone directly into the Irish economy, the two lenders' subsidiary accounts show.
Between 2009 and 2011, RBS made "capital contributions" totalling €9.13bn (£7.6bn) to its Dublin-headquartered subsidiary Ulster Bank Ireland. Over the same period, Lloyds transferred £6.41bn to its Irish operation, Bank of Scotland (Ireland), before dissolving the business.
The total – £14bn – amounts to more than a fifth of the £65bn UK taxpayers injected into RBS and Lloyds in 2008 and 2009, and is expected to rise further. Analysts estimate that RBS transferred another £2bn last year.
RBS and Lloyds used the funds to write off billions of pounds of debt loaned to Irish commercial property developers and households in the "Celtic Tiger" boom years.
After the bubble burst, Ireland's banks brought the country to its knees and forced the government into a €67.5bn (£56.5bn) international rescue, including £7bn from the UK Government. Since the financial crisis, Dublin has injected €80bn into its banks and nationalised or part-nationalised six of them. Together with the bank bail-outs, the UK taxpayer has propped up the Irish economy with at least £20bn."