10 Years Ago Today. Tyrone 0-12 Armagh 0-9.

Started by ONeill, September 28, 2013, 09:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

The analysts all felt mats den needed the early bath.

sensethetone

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 07, 2013, 12:16:34 AM
Jordan lay down and got him sent off, was the case 10yrs ago, still the same now nothing changed, nearly as bad as the day wee pete ran in Mike McCarthy and lay down, the kerry man getting booked for nothing, Greg McCartan getting the same after Brian McGuigan lay down  from sniper fire after been hit by a ball, combine that with Ryan Mc  knee to John Mc, Paul Donnelly throwing James McC into the crowd, Gormley cheap shot into the stomach of Tomas OSe, is it a wonder Mike Sheedy and bennycake are giving Tyrone so much grief on here, outside of Dublin who i cold name a no of accidents in the minus box, no other team has brought the unsavory element out in the open, Tyrone were a great team but their manager should have come down hard on some repeat offenders on his team, instead of trying to get players off suspensions, cut out the diving and playacting and i think they would had country wide respect.

derry played monaghan few years ago - couple of sendings of and video evidence used to get more supensions it waqs unsavory- wouldn't you agree?

armaghniac

QuoteSo, if someone runs over to you on a football pitch, the standard response is to raise your hand and punch him in the face?

If someone charges at someone,  anyone's natural instinct is to put their hands in front of their face to parry the blow.

QuoteAs for someone bringing the "Marsdens a lovely bloke he wouldn't do something like that" argument into, grow up, ffs! Jordan's career isn't exactly littered with red cards but you are happy to assume he was on his way to assault Marsden.

Given his success in getting the innocent party sent off instread, no wonder Jordan's career isn't exactly littered with red cards.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyHarp

Quote from: armaghniac on October 07, 2013, 09:46:57 AM
QuoteSo, if someone runs over to you on a football pitch, the standard response is to raise your hand and punch him in the face?

If someone charges at someone,  anyone's natural instinct is to put their hands in front of their face to parry the blow.

QuoteAs for someone bringing the "Marsdens a lovely bloke he wouldn't do something like that" argument into, grow up, ffs! Jordan's career isn't exactly littered with red cards but you are happy to assume he was on his way to assault Marsden.

Given his success in getting the innocent party sent off instread, no wonder Jordan's career isn't exactly littered with red cards.

What blow was he parrying? Players run into disputes all the time during games - a pushing and shoving match occur and the thing calms down. The natural reaction is not to lift your hand and throw it into someones face - though at least you are now admitting Marsden lifted his hands so thats a step forward in your rehabilitation process.

Your second comment makes no sense to me - so I cant respond to it.
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

Quote from: BennyCake on October 06, 2013, 08:43:06 PM
However, you were able to use that Ulster defeat to your advantage when meeting in the semi. And like I said before, even with Canavan/O'Neill being sent off, you were able to regroup and go on in the championship. That's something we were not afforded in 2003. The Marsden red card basically put an end to any hope of us regaining Sam. Marsden might not have been as influential as McConville or McDonnell, but he was still a very useful player. So, who knows.

So, you should understand how Armagh fans felt cheated that day. And it's nothing to do with being v Tyrone, it would've been the same had it happened v Kerry/Dublin or anyone. You obviously were hurting, and probably rightly so after the Ulster defeat, so you can understand Armagh fans unhappiness with a ref decision that ultimately lost us the biggest prize of all.

For 10 years I couldn't really understand how anyone could say Marsden was not guilty of hitting Jordan and getting him sent off. Having read Benny's post above I can understand it now a lot better for the first time.
If my understanding of what you're saying is right then you are saying that tensions were high for this game anyway and a lot was at stake. Tyrone had already been accused of being a bunch of divers & with players like Jordan & the other Moy lads so near to the Armagh border and haven't went to school in Armagh then there was extra spice in the mix. So the whether or not there was contact when Marsden "raised his hands", the Armagh way of looking at it was that here comes one of the local boys from the enemy side charging at him looking out of control and possibly about to charge & maybe strike Marsden. So naturally he put his hands up (or swung his arms out) to defend himself. But the true gripe is that Jordan's actions to charge at Marsden caused him to defend himself in some manner that allowed Jordan to over-react with the collision and thus CHEAT his way to an AI victory.
I can truthfully understand the Armagh opinion a bit more now actually that Marsden wasn't the instigator of the offence. He was only reacting to Jordan's actions and so they feel wronged and cheated that a player got sent off for just defending himself.
If the roles had been reversed and Marsden was charging at Jordan I wonder how Jordan would have reacted. I suspect the same would have happened.

The main question I have for all the Armagh fans that feel Marsden was wrongly sent off is what would you have done as the ref. There was definite raising of the hands and a striking motion in most people's eyes. Where a lot of Armagh fans differ is that did he actually connect. Is that fair to say?
The rule states that if there is a striking action then it's a red card no matter what. If you raise your hands to a man's face then its red. That's why a lot of players since then actually tend to push lads in the chest and not up the face.

I know I would have been pissed off had any of our forwards have been sent off in an AI final after reacting to someone charging at them looking like he wanted revenge.
I'm always interested to hear what the neutrals who saw the incident felt about it.

I asked before but why was his red card rescinded? What was the judgement on that?

rrhf

blanketattack

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 07, 2013, 10:30:12 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 06, 2013, 08:43:06 PM
However, you were able to use that Ulster defeat to your advantage when meeting in the semi. And like I said before, even with Canavan/O'Neill being sent off, you were able to regroup and go on in the championship. That's something we were not afforded in 2003. The Marsden red card basically put an end to any hope of us regaining Sam. Marsden might not have been as influential as McConville or McDonnell, but he was still a very useful player. So, who knows.

So, you should understand how Armagh fans felt cheated that day. And it's nothing to do with being v Tyrone, it would've been the same had it happened v Kerry/Dublin or anyone. You obviously were hurting, and probably rightly so after the Ulster defeat, so you can understand Armagh fans unhappiness with a ref decision that ultimately lost us the biggest prize of all.

For 10 years I couldn't really understand how anyone could say Marsden was not guilty of hitting Jordan and getting him sent off. Having read Benny's post above I can understand it now a lot better for the first time.
If my understanding of what you're saying is right then you are saying that tensions were high for this game anyway and a lot was at stake. Tyrone had already been accused of being a bunch of divers & with players like Jordan & the other Moy lads so near to the Armagh border and haven't went to school in Armagh then there was extra spice in the mix. So the whether or not there was contact when Marsden "raised his hands", the Armagh way of looking at it was that here comes one of the local boys from the enemy side charging at him looking out of control and possibly about to charge & maybe strike Marsden. So naturally he put his hands up (or swung his arms out) to defend himself. But the true gripe is that Jordan's actions to charge at Marsden caused him to defend himself in some manner that allowed Jordan to over-react with the collision and thus CHEAT his way to an AI victory.
I can truthfully understand the Armagh opinion a bit more now actually that Marsden wasn't the instigator of the offence. He was only reacting to Jordan's actions and so they feel wronged and cheated that a player got sent off for just defending himself.
If the roles had been reversed and Marsden was charging at Jordan I wonder how Jordan would have reacted. I suspect the same would have happened.

The main question I have for all the Armagh fans that feel Marsden was wrongly sent off is what would you have done as the ref. There was definite raising of the hands and a striking motion in most people's eyes. Where a lot of Armagh fans differ is that did he actually connect. Is that fair to say?
The rule states that if there is a striking action then it's a red card no matter what. If you raise your hands to a man's face then its red. That's why a lot of players since then actually tend to push lads in the chest and not up the face.

I know I would have been pissed off had any of our forwards have been sent off in an AI final after reacting to someone charging at them looking like he wanted revenge.
I'm always interested to hear what the neutrals who saw the incident felt about it.

I asked before but why was his red card rescinded? What was the judgement on that?

Because any sane person could see that Diarmuid Marsden was completely in the right and Philip Jordan was completely in the wrong.

Fuzzman

Good argument blanket.
I never considered that and very concise in your explanation.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 03, 2013, 02:39:53 PM
This thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. A platform for both Mike Sheehy and the entirety of Armagh posters to repeatedly go out of their way to show us Tyrone folk just how much our successes got under their skins. Ahhhhh...  ;D

Five or six more pages since I posted that!

Best. Thread. Ever.  :)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

Marsbar is clearly shoutin/sneerin "take that ye Moy hoor".
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Wildweasel74

got a handful of jersey, trying to grap his throat, looks like self defense to me lol

Sidney

Funny how the all same people who saw a "punch" by Marsden are the same ones who didn't see the eye gouge on the Gooch in 2005.

Tyrone supporters are as one eyed as what their players tried to make the Gooch.