10 Years Ago Today. Tyrone 0-12 Armagh 0-9.

Started by ONeill, September 28, 2013, 09:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 30, 2013, 10:47:48 PM
Lets be honest though. They are fading fast from the memory. Canavan, Mugsy (what was his real name  anyway?)..who else ?

Ten years from now nobody will remember Tyrone, yet the names "Gooch", Brogan, Moynihan, MDMA, Dara O'Se , Aidan O'Shea will echo through the ages. Not because these men were perfect, by any means. Rather they strove for perfection against those whose only aim was to stop them. That nobility means something to those south of the border.

Will echo through the ages as members of the team incapable of beating teams from up north in All-Irelands. Can't you get over the fact Kerry were second best to Tyrone and Armagh in the 00's.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 30, 2013, 11:24:52 PM
Quote from: sensethetone on September 30, 2013, 10:57:27 PM
didnt one of the kerry players fail some sort of test after playing an AI final, maybe its not not that things are forgotten maybe some people don't want to remember

This shows the disgraceful levels that Tyrone are willing to descend to. Impugning the character of an asthmatic who was cleared of any offence.

Breathtaking Sensethetone breathtaking.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

It was a poor game but I don't think anybody from Tyrone cared. We should have had Armagh well beaten that day, there were some terrible misses from goal chances. Tyrone were the best team that year though and deserved their All-Ireland, the fact that the second half against Kerry and the final against  Armagh were pretty turgid doesn't change that.

The belief that came from making that breakthrough in 2003 was key to the team going to another level in 2005 - that was a truly exceptional team. But for injury they would surely have won more titles but it was testimony to Harte and those lads that they re-grouped and with a team not IMO at the same level individually as 2005 still won another All-Ireland in 2008. Add in the off field tragedies that hit that group and it makes the achievements all the greater. F*ck the begrudgers ;D.

Oh, and Armagh were a fine team too and their 2002 success was well deserved ;)

nrico2006

The Tyrone team by 2005 were on top of their game but injuries effectively destroyed the team.  I remember the 2006 game against Derry when Tyrone were missing the majority of their best players, that year and 2007 were two years where you wondered if there was any luck in the County as everyone seemed to be hit badly.  Was there ever a squad/team decimated by injuries as badly?  2008 was the last hurrah but by then injuries had robbed the team of the real Brian McGuigan and Steven O'Neill.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Estimator

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 01, 2013, 10:32:15 AM
The Tyrone team by 2005 were on top of their game but injuries effectively destroyed the team.  I remember the 2006 game against Derry when Tyrone were missing the majority of their best players, that year and 2007 were two years where you wondered if there was any luck in the County as everyone seemed to be hit badly.  Was there ever a squad/team decimated by injuries as badly?  2008 was the last hurrah but by then injuries had robbed the team of the real Brian McGuigan and Steven O'Neill.

Tyrone: P McConnell; R McMenamin, C McGinley, C Gourley; D Harte (0-01), C Gormley, P Jordan; C Holmes; P Donnelly (0-01 (1 '45)); B Dooher (capt), S Cavanagh, R Mulgrew; R Mellon, K Hughes, O Mulligan (0-02 (2f)).
Substitutes: J McMahon (0-01) for Holmes, M Penrose for Mulgrew, E McGinley for Penrose, D Carlin for Gourley, B Meenan for Cavanagh.

Apart from the two players mentioned, what other players would have been included in this majority?
Ulster League Champions 2009

nrico2006

Quote from: Estimator on October 01, 2013, 10:47:06 AM

Tyrone: P McConnell; R McMenamin, C McGinley, C Gourley; D Harte (0-01), C Gormley, P Jordan; C Holmes; P Donnelly (0-01 (1 '45)); B Dooher (capt), S Cavanagh, R Mulgrew; R Mellon, K Hughes, O Mulligan (0-02 (2f)).
Substitutes: J McMahon (0-01) for Holmes, M Penrose for Mulgrew, E McGinley for Penrose, D Carlin for Gourley, B Meenan for Cavanagh.

Apart from the two players mentioned, what other players would have been included in this majority?

Gerard Cavlan, Mickey McGee, Joe McMahon, Enda McGinley and Martin Penrose didn't start that day as well as the two others mentioned.  But the fact alone that McGuigan and SON were missing that day was huge as they were our two best players. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mike Sheehy

Its comical how overrated Tyrone are by their own followers.
That Tyrone team would not have lasted 5minutes in the new more positive era.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 01, 2013, 12:26:57 PM

If that Tyrone team is overated what would you call the Kerry side of 00's who couldnt beat them?

nrico2006

That Tyrone team would have no bother against this years winners.  Great work ethic, strong defense and lots of great individual players.

Estimator

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 01, 2013, 11:54:07 AM

Gerard Cavlan, Mickey McGee, Joe McMahon, Enda McGinley and Martin Penrose didn't start that day as well as the two others mentioned.  But the fact alone that McGuigan and SON were missing that day was huge as they were our two best players.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the players in Blue played/started in 1 All Ireland final and the players in red played/started in 2 All Ireland finals. Which just leaves 3 players who had featured yet.  Hardly a side devoid of experience and talent!
Ulster League Champions 2009

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: SkillfulBill on October 01, 2013, 12:32:57 PM

If that Tyrone team is overated what would you call the Kerry side of 00's who couldnt beat them?

The heart of that Kerry team are still going and showed last month that they would dominate this era as well if they still had the legs.

Thats the point. Tyrone were , first and foremost, a negative defensive team who could not survive in the modern game whereas Kerry had all the skills to prosper in these new, more enlightened times.

nrico2006

Quote from: Estimator on October 01, 2013, 01:12:21 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 01, 2013, 11:54:07 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the players in Blue played/started in 1 All Ireland final and the players in red played/started in 2 All Ireland finals. Which just leaves 3 players who had featured yet.  Hardly a side devoid of experience and talent!

Of the team that started against Derry in 2006 Tyrone were missing SON, Brian McGuigan, McGee, Enda McGinley, Joe McMahon, Cavlan and Penrose.  Of course there are other players who ended up playing who had big game experience but they would not have been first choice.  Tyrone were severely depleted in 2006 and you are the first I have ever came across to argue against that fact.  I can even remember the Derry manager and star man acknowledging the fact in the run up to the game. 

armaghniac

QuoteThats the point. Tyrone were , first and foremost, a negative defensive team who could not survive in the modern game whereas Kerry had all the skills to prosper in these new, more enlightened times.

Did Kerry's legs age faster than Tyrone's legs? Was it all the rain?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nrico2006

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 01, 2013, 01:18:18 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on October 01, 2013, 12:32:57 PM

The heart of that Kerry team are still going and showed last month that they would dominate this era as well if they still had the legs.

Thats the point. Tyrone were , first and foremost, a negative defensive team who could not survive in the modern game whereas Kerry had all the skills to prosper in these new, more enlightened times.

What prospering have Kerry actually achieved?  Is getting to an All Ireland semi final an achievement now?  Did Tyrone not exit at the same stage? 

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 01, 2013, 01:18:18 PM

Just like the previous decade the Kerry team of 2013 couldn't stand the heat when up against a rival who actually believed they could beat them. Crumbled when it really mattered, again.