Dublin's Cynicism in the AIF

Started by StGallsGAA, September 26, 2013, 11:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

Quote from: Main Street on September 27, 2013, 11:15:59 AM
There's little doubt that the Dubs are just petty cynics compared to Tyrone. The Cavanagh "grab and drag" in the QF which got a free and yellow card for Hughes, deserves the 'cynic tackle of the year' award.

I see the Cavanagh's "grab and drag'" was used by Pepe of Real Madrid  to great effect in the last minute of added time in their game against Elche, in order to win a penalty and win the game. However, its use has shocked Spain to the core. And Spain would be one of the countries that invented cynicism in football, and Pepe would be one of the most cynical players in Spain.
Pepe, blueshirt nr 3 drags down a defender in the penalty area
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJMe-1lPmFE

Possibly Cavanagh's 'grab and pull down', can become a force of good in the world of sport? Maybe Sean could undergo some withdrawal therapy in a clinic and become a reformed cynic. Then he could help transform Tyrone football to be cynic free from the age of 6 onwards. With those Just Say No slogans and sanctions for PE teachers who continue to teach the kids the dark arts.
Perhaps he could become a sort of sporting ambassador, traveling to serious areas affected areas in the world, like Uruguay and Argentina and show them that if they don't reform their game, their sport could end up looking like Tyrone 2013.

You hadn't seen the grap and drag until Cavanagh did it? Seriously??  :o

deiseach

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 27, 2013, 11:43:07 AM
I just feel he plays this goody two shoes attitude too much and his wee jibes about playing the game like it should be played was surely an attempt to get those at the GAA top tables to like him and back him. There's almost an attitude of we need to stop the cancer spreading sort of attitude and with Gavin & Co winning the AI then football was the true winner this year.

I think Gavin started believing the hype being spouted that Dublin were winning playing the 'right' way. So when he found some dissent from the assembled hacks in the aftermath of ultimate glory, he didn't like it. He didn't like it one bit. I think he'll come to regret not going Arsene Wenger on it.

blewuporstuffed

There's little doubt that the Dubs are just petty cynics compared to Tyrone. The Cavanagh "grab and drag" in the QF which got a free and yellow card for Hughes, deserves the 'cynic tackle of the year' award.

I see the Cavanagh's "grab and drag'" was used by Pepe of Real Madrid  to great effect in the last minute of added time in their game against Elche, in order to win a penalty and win the game. However, its use has shocked Spain to the core. And Spain would be one of the countries that invented cynicism in football, and Pepe would be one of the most cynical players in Spain.

Possibly Cavanagh's 'grab and pull down', can become a force of good in the world of sport? Maybe Sean could undergo some withdrawal therapy in a clinic and become a reformed cynic. Then he could help transform Tyrone football to be cynic free from the age of 6 onwards. With those Just Say No slogans and sanctions for PE teachers who continue to teach the kids the dark arts.
Perhaps he could become a sort of sporting ambassador, traveling to serious areas affected areas in the world, like Uruguay and Argentina and show them that if they don't reform their game, their sport could end up looking like Tyrone 2013.

How was cavanaghs tackle any more cynical that either of the mcmenemin one or the o'gara one????
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Cold tea

screenexile

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on September 27, 2013, 12:21:25 PM

How was cavanaghs tackle any more cynical that either of the mcmenemin one or the o'gara one????

It isn't... they're all bad and the powers that be need to put a stop to it!

EC Unique

Dublin did what ever was required to get over the line and fair f*$ks to them.

The only sour note is Gavin's comments. He should have kept his mouth shut and enjoyed the win.

rrhf

Yes but the people deserve honesty from Gavin and his team about this.  You can talk about Sean Cavanagh all you want but at least he is honest.
With Gavin the emperor wears no clothes. 

Zulu

Quote from: rrhf on September 27, 2013, 02:16:01 PM
Yes but the people deserve honesty from Gavin and his team about this.  You can talk about Sean Cavanagh all you want but at least he is honest.

Mickey Harte is no better.

Quote from: EC Unique on September 27, 2013, 01:01:06 PM
Dublin did what ever was required to get over the line and fair f*$ks to them.

The only sour note is Gavin's comments. He should have kept his mouth shut and enjoyed the win.

Rubbish, this carry on is an embarrassment to the game and needs to be cut out now before too many people think like you do.

reddgnhand

Quote from: Syferus on September 27, 2013, 12:17:13 AM
At least Dublin played football for 60 minutes. Y'see, that tends to soften the blow when a team commits a cynical foul or two. Mickey, make some notes.

And what about the 3 fantastic points S Cavanagh had kicked prior to the infamous tackle.? Did that not soften the blow for you?

INDIANA

Well said Michael Schmeichal. I like your honesty in most of your posts.

All managers have their own agenda and spread their own propaganda but my estimation of Gavin has gone down a little as the year has wore on. (as it has for Mickey Harte too over the years)

I just feel he plays this goody two shoes attitude too much and his wee jibes about playing the game like it should be played was surely an attempt to get those at the GAA top tables to like him and back him. There's almost an attitude of we need to stop the cancer spreading sort of attitude and with Gavin & Co winning the AI then football was the true winner this year.

In my eyes Dublin have played quite open attack minded football all year but in the final it certainly was a very physical and at times cynical game. Dublin knew they had to do what they had to do to get over the line but its annoys be that Gavin turns a blind eye to this.
I'd say he'll be more annoyed next year when everyone is out to take them down a peg, even in the league.
I actually used to hate league games the year after Tyrone won the AI as every game was a war of attrition. Could we see another battle of Omagh?
I hope McQuillan is ref for that one.  :o

I'd say he won't give a shite with Sam in the bag. Next year can't take that away from him ever. I think you have a funny perspective on what people actually worry about on a daily basis

deiseach

Quote from: INDIANA on September 27, 2013, 02:27:55 PM

All managers have their own agenda and spread their own propaganda but my estimation of Gavin has gone down a little as the year has wore on. (as it has for Mickey Harte too over the years)

In my eyes Dublin have played quite open attack minded football all year but in the final it certainly was a very physical and at times cynical game. Dublin knew they had to do what they had to do to get over the line but its annoys be that Gavin turns a blind eye to this.
I'd say he'll be more annoyed next year when everyone is out to take them down a peg, even in the league.
I actually used to hate league games the year after Tyrone won the AI as every game was a war of attrition. Could we see another battle of Omagh?

I'd say he won't give a shite with Sam in the bag. Next year can't take that away from him ever. I think you have a funny perspective on what people actually worry about on a daily basis

If he didn't care, he would have said as much. The fact that he felt the need to come up with this c0ck-and-bull story suggests he does care.

deiseach

Quote from: Zulu on September 27, 2013, 02:20:57 PM

God love him, but Mickey Harte's comments after the Dublin-Kerry game were borderline deranged.

Tubberman

Quote from: INDIANA on September 27, 2013, 02:27:55 PM

You seemed to care when James Horan questioned his comments though.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Zulu

Quote from: deiseach on September 27, 2013, 02:39:56 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 27, 2013, 02:20:57 PM

God love him, but Mickey Harte's comments after the Dublin-Kerry game were borderline deranged.

We seem to be past masters at the 'hear no evil see no evil' policy in the GAA. Time to call out any pundit or manager on their BS or both games could find themselves in a tough spot in a few years.

Drummerboy

Don't think Horan said too much about the cynical fouling towards the end. But then again, after last year's semi final, he couldn't.