Dublin's Cynicism in the AIF

Started by StGallsGAA, September 26, 2013, 11:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Rois on September 27, 2013, 12:51:09 AM
Quote from: Canalman on September 27, 2013, 12:26:26 AM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on September 26, 2013, 11:52:31 PM
I scoured the GAA sports pages all week but not much mention of it.  Why not?

Don't know what papers you are reading  but plenty of mention of it alright. In fairness done at the end of the game / season when down to 13 fit players and 2 of them carrying knocks.

Yep, that excuses it. How many on here think that it was "fair"? Ok Syfillis does, anyone else?

Post of the week  ;D ;D Good on ye Rois!!!

sheamy

Jim Gavin was a disgrace at the end of that game. He proved himself a hypocrite after all his previous pontificating about maintaining standards of play. Worse still were his comments towards the referee: "Not only were we playing Mayo but we were playing the referee". If any other manager came out with that level of accusation he'd be taken to the cleaners.

INDIANA

Quote from: sheamy on September 27, 2013, 09:09:31 AM
Jim Gavin was a disgrace at the end of that game. He proved himself a hypocrite after all his previous pontificating about maintaining standards of play. Worse still were his comments towards the referee: "Not only were we playing Mayo but we were playing the referee". If any other manager came out with that level of accusation he'd be taken to the cleaners.

But the other managers aren't All-ireland winning managers- you know what I mean?

sheamy

Quote from: INDIANA on September 27, 2013, 09:10:53 AM

But the other managers aren't All-ireland winning managers- you know what I mean?

That's irrelevant. He more or less accused the referee of total bias and essentially aiding the other team. Talk about Respect initiatives. If the GAA doesn't act on those comments they might as well bin the whole thing. People look to All-Ireland winners and rightly so. If Gavin's comments are let go then every club and county manager up and down the country have a license to give refs a roasting in the media.

Bensars

I dont know why all  the hysteria over this.

You would expect ANY county in the final minutes of and All Ireland final to use experience/cynicism to run the clock down and get over the line.
Also bear in mind they were under severe pressure with only a kick of the ball between the sides, and knowingly out of substitutes for injured players still on the field.

Yes, Tyrone were highlighted and scapegoated to an extent, but all counties use it to varying degrees.

It would in no way reflect how Dublin have played throughout the year. All good sides with have a mix of attacking flair and experience/cynicism. There has never been all ireland champions who dont have that mix within a team.

INDIANA

Quote from: sheamy on September 27, 2013, 09:16:05 AM

That's irrelevant. He more or less accused the referee of total bias and essentially aiding the other team. Talk about Respect initiatives. If the GAA doesn't act on those comments they might as well bin the whole thing. People look to All-Ireland winners and rightly so. If Gavin's comments are let go then every club and county manager up and down the country have a license to give refs a roasting in the media.

Dublin have been disappointed with the free count against them this year but instead of making a song and a dance about it like other managers- we preferred to wait until Sam was secure in our hands. The right way to do it IMO.

sheamy

Quote from: INDIANA on September 27, 2013, 09:17:57 AM
Quote from: sheamy on September 27, 2013, 09:16:05 AM

Dublin have been disappointed with the free count against them this year but instead of making a song and a dance about it like other managers- we preferred to wait until Sam was secure in our hands. The right way to do it IMO.

He referred directly to Joe McQuillan. That's not 'all year'.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Show me a team that aren't cynical when there noses are in front..................................look Mayo buckos I feel your pain but in last years semi the cynicism and the blonde physio, I think some of our lads remembered that........................ In general both Dublin and Mayo are fairly clean teams but when your 5 mins away from a celtic cross Id say the instincts take over

sans pessimism

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 27, 2013, 09:23:38 AM
Show me a team that aren't cynical when there noses are in front..................................look Mayo buckos I feel your pain but in last years semi the cynicism and the blonde physio, I think some of our lads remembered that........................ In general both Dublin and Mayo are fairly clean teams but when your 5 mins away from a celtic cross Id say the instincts take over
eh...think Mayo bys aren't arsed bout this thread.More driven by the nordies methinks
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Main Street

There's little doubt that the Dubs are just petty cynics compared to Tyrone. The Cavanagh "grab and drag" in the QF which got a free and yellow card for Hughes, deserves the 'cynic tackle of the year' award.

I see the Cavanagh's "grab and drag'" was used by Pepe of Real Madrid  to great effect in the last minute of added time in their game against Elche, in order to win a penalty and win the game. However, its use has shocked Spain to the core. And Spain would be one of the countries that invented cynicism in football, and Pepe would be one of the most cynical players in Spain.
Pepe, blueshirt nr 3 drags down a defender in the penalty area
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJMe-1lPmFE

Possibly Cavanagh's 'grab and pull down', can become a force of good in the world of sport? Maybe Sean could undergo some withdrawal therapy in a clinic and become a reformed cynic. Then he could help transform Tyrone football to be cynic free from the age of 6 onwards. With those Just Say No slogans and sanctions for PE teachers who continue to teach the kids the dark arts.
Perhaps he could become a sort of sporting ambassador, traveling to serious areas affected areas in the world, like Uruguay and Argentina and show them that if they don't reform their game, their sport could end up looking like Tyrone 2013.

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: INDIANA on September 27, 2013, 09:17:57 AM
[

I disagree Indiana. I thought Gavin's comments lacked class and were disrespectful to Mayo. Even if he believes  ref's have been hard on us this year (and I don't think they have) he should of kept them to himself. I dread to think what he will come out with when we lose a big match.

Cold tea

Quote from: Rois on September 27, 2013, 12:51:09 AM
Quote from: Canalman on September 27, 2013, 12:26:26 AM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on September 26, 2013, 11:52:31 PM
I scoured the GAA sports pages all week but not much mention of it.  Why not?

Don't know what papers you are reading  but plenty of mention of it alright. In fairness done at the end of the game / season when down to 13 fit players and 2 of them carrying knocks.

Yep, that excuses it. How many on here think that it was "fair"? Ok Syfillis does, anyone else?

Post of the year.

Fuzzman

Well said Michael Schmeichal. I like your honesty in most of your posts.

All managers have their own agenda and spread their own propaganda but my estimation of Gavin has gone down a little as the year has wore on. (as it has for Mickey Harte too over the years)

I just feel he plays this goody two shoes attitude too much and his wee jibes about playing the game like it should be played was surely an attempt to get those at the GAA top tables to like him and back him. There's almost an attitude of we need to stop the cancer spreading sort of attitude and with Gavin & Co winning the AI then football was the true winner this year.

In my eyes Dublin have played quite open attack minded football all year but in the final it certainly was a very physical and at times cynical game. Dublin knew they had to do what they had to do to get over the line but its annoys be that Gavin turns a blind eye to this.
I'd say he'll be more annoyed next year when everyone is out to take them down a peg, even in the league.
I actually used to hate league games the year after Tyrone won the AI as every game was a war of attrition. Could we see another battle of Omagh?
I hope McQuillan is ref for that one.  :o

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 27, 2013, 11:43:07 AM

.......I'd say he'll be more annoyed next year when everyone is out to take them down a peg, even in the league

In fairness Fuzzman, I think that would happen anyway no matter what Jim Gavin might have said.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

imtommygunn

Disappointed in gavin's comments. No one likes poor losers but no one likes poor winners either.

Fair play to james horan in not getting sucked in too. He has put up with some crap this year from mcguinness and now gavin and has handled himself well.

Dublin did what they had to do. If your own team were winning by a point you'd want them to do whatever it took to slow the game down.