Referees Section (All Queries on Rulings Welcomed) No Smart Arses/Tyre Kickers

Started by Offical Line, November 17, 2006, 04:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloc Mor

You sure?  Thought that a defender receiving the ball inside the 21, whether he was there before the ball was kicked or not, was always a hop ball on 21.

No such thing as lifting a rolling ball.  Foot must ALWAYS be under the ball for a legal pick up.

Cloc Mor

My understanding was that he can kick the ball on the ground again, after fluffing a kick out, but cant lift the ball - same as  in hurling.  The defending team receiving the ball the ball inside the 21 would be a hop ball on 21

MacE why would anyone kick a ball off their own post anyway.  This seems a very stupid question and the fact that most teams have probems putting the ball between the posts, never mind hitting the posts, that this might seem problematic.

vengaboy

Quote from: Cloc Mor on November 19, 2006, 01:44:05 PM
You sure?  Thought that a defender receiving the ball inside the 21, whether he was there before the ball was kicked or not, was always a hop ball on 21.

No such thing as lifting a rolling ball.  Foot must ALWAYS be under the ball for a legal pick up.

Nope as long as the ball traveled 13m and all other players were outside 21 at the time of the kick it is play on.

Cloc Mor

So the ball can be played 13m to the wing and still be inside the 21 and its ok?

Cloc Mor

Sorry, McE.  Its was a really stupid question.  Obviously not from someone who knows the rules.  I could surmise about the origins about his birth, but wouldn't want to offend anyone.

OakLeaf

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on November 18, 2006, 01:22:14 PM
However, the offence to which Oakleaf refers falls under the Dissent Rules, which state:

Rule 6.2
To show dissent with the referee's decision to award a free kick to the opposing team.
<b>PENALTY - The free kick already awarded shall be taken 13m more advantageous than the place of original kick - up to opponents' 13m line.</b>

THEREFORE, in the case of Dissent the ball CANNOT be moved 13m.

You're right that if someone questions the referee that he can't move it forward. The point I was trying to make (rather badly) is that there's more than one type of dissent. If I ask a player to move back from a sideline and they don't then that's dissent in my book and I'll move the ball forward 13m (esentially because they are interferring with the kick being taken. If they failed to move the next time I would book them for dissent. You're quite right about the specific question that was asked. The point I'd like to make is that most people (especially players) are of the opinion that you can't ever move a sideline forward 13m, which is not the case.

Cloc Mor

I take it from the gist of your response that you are are referee.  If  the players you referee are as confused as me about your interpretation of the rules, God help you.

OakLeaf

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on November 18, 2006, 01:55:42 PM
1) Forward hits marker off the ball. 
2) referee awards free kick to attacking team still unaware of incident.  Umpire raises flag and walks 2 yards onto field.  Opposition stops.
3) Unmarked Forward runs for quick free kick slots the goal past umpire and Goalkeeper (umpire still on field of play)
4) Referee consults with umpire sends goalscorer off, then allows goal and 14 man team wins by 3 points. 
Were the rules correctly applied here or what should have happened differently, to protect a team that dosent strike?

Many rules in play here, I'm not going to bore you with the details, but:

(1) The umpire should not have entered the field of play. He must move along the line and signal with his hand up for the referee's attention.
(2) As the referee was unaware of the incident he should not stop play until there is a break in play, in this case it was when the score was taken. The fact that the defenders stopped defending is irrelevant, we are taught from a young age to play until the whistle.
(3) Sending the goalscorer off, no problem there.
(4) He should allow the goal as play had not been stopped.

I disagree with point 4 because according to the post, the play had been stopped after the incident but was re-started again before the umpire was able to get the referee's attention. We had this exact situation in Derry a couple of years ago (except that a point resulted) and our referees co-ordinator got clarification from Croke Park as to what should have been the outcome. They said, that because play had been stopped after the incident but had been re-started (when it shouldn't have been) then the goal should not have stood.

OakLeaf

Quote from: Cloc Mor on November 19, 2006, 08:28:43 PM
I take it from the gist of your response that you are are referee.  If  the players you referee are as confused as me about your interpretation of the rules, God help you.

Yes, I am a referee. There's no doubt about it there are places where the rules are open to interpretation. hardly anybody gets 100% in the National referee's exam so what would that tell you!

OakLeaf

Quote from: Cloc Mor on November 19, 2006, 04:55:58 PM
So the ball can be played 13m to the wing and still be inside the 21 and its ok?

Yep. As long as it travells 13m and everybody was outside the 20m line when the kick was taken.

Cloc Mor

So,you are telling me that a player can receive the ball inside the 14yard line as long as he was 14 yards away when the ball was kicked.

OakLeaf

Quote from: Cloc Mor on November 19, 2006, 08:51:49 PM
So,you are telling me that a player can receive the ball inside the 14yard line as long as he was 14 yards away when the ball was kicked.

What I'm saying is that provided the ball travels 13m (in any direction) and that the player was outside the 20m line when the ball was kicked then yes, they can pick it up (even it goes to the corner flag, which I seen happen in a Mac Rory cup match a few years back, because of the wind). This rule definitely surprises a lot of people but its true.

Another weird one. I can set the ball up on the 20m line for a kick out and begin to dribble it out the field provided I don't pick it up. I could do that the length of the field if I want. I wouldn't recommend it of course! You probably wouldn't get very far  ;)

MacDanger

QuoteIt is also possible to fist the ball with the same hand the ball was in, also as long as there is a clear striking action.

Is that true?? I remember being taught that it had to be a two-handed operation

Offical Line

Just popping in, the interest is excellent, Oakleaf, its great to see another referee in to help out, i actually seen that scenario with the kick out in a game in Dublin i officiated at just recently.

Lads it just highlights how little knowledge is out there with our National Game Rules! ???

off the laces

here one that happened to us recently,
What constitutes a free on the goalkeeper in a game a high ball was launched into our square the keeper went up to catch it at the same time the corner forward ran into the square and crashed into the keeper as he was about to hold the ball the ball went into the net the ref who was standing just inside the fifty give the goal without consulting with his umpire who said it was a foul but he could do nothing as the ref give the goal.
Keeps 'er' straight