Dubs and their poor GAEILGE

Started by Orchardman, September 24, 2013, 10:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: hardstation on September 25, 2013, 03:48:33 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 25, 2013, 03:45:26 PM
If a player isn't a strong gaeilge speaker then he shouldn't feel the need to bother.
"Ta an athas orm" is as bad as "hip hip hooray"

If a player is going to say a cupla focail, he should say what he actually feels rather than rhyme off a couple of hackneyed phrases as a preamble. One Sean Og, Michael Connolly or Dara O Cinneide winning speech is worth a million others smirking through a cliché.

Which is half the problem with the teaching of the language. Not enough focus on the conversational and too much emphasis on the formulas and repetition.
When I think back to the productive school hours we spent chanting:
"Liom, Leat, Leis, Lei, Linn, Libh, Leo."
"Aris!"
"Liom, Leat, Leis, Lei, Linn, Libh, Leo."
"Aris!"
Ahh FFS!!
;D

Eh?

deiseach

Quote from: hardstation on September 25, 2013, 03:57:16 PM
I was taught nominative singular after cúpla?

Cúpla duine.
Cúpla pionnta.
Cúpla focal.

No?

Oh right. You could have just said that.

Bord na Mona man

Cúpla duine.
Cúpla pionnta.
Cúpla focal.

No?
Don't start doubting yourself if you're claiming it's something hilarious!

deiseach

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 25, 2013, 04:02:59 PM

Cúpla duine.
Cúpla pionnta.
Cúpla focal.

No?
Don't start doubting yourself if you're claiming it's something hilarious!

;D in any language.

balladmaker

QuoteHe said "LISTEN! LISTEN! LISTEN! LISTEN! LISTEN! GET BACK!"

I know the history of the occasion probably got to him, but I always thought it was a shame that the greatest day for my county was marred a little by that intro, I find it hard to watch to this day. Once he started talking he wasn't too bad though.

I don't blame McGeeney on the speech, I blame Paddy Og Nugent for standing behind him, arms around McGeeney's waste, interrupting and telling McGeeney what to say.  The biggest moment in McGeeney's sporting life, lifting the Sam Maguire, the speech, and Nugent getting in the middle of it.  That's what pisses me off the most anytime I watch McGeeney lifting the cup.  I thought Paddy Og was going to try to receive the cup himself!

Bord na Mona man

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 03:49:59 PM

I fixed your post as the young people would say.

You keep spouting your vile anti Dublin propoganda and we'll keep winning All Irelands. Maybe not 7 million of them but lots and lots. Meanwhile Laois will contue to wallow in its own mediocrity, blaming everyone else for their own inadequacies.

Dont Matter

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 25, 2013, 04:20:25 PM
You keep spouting your vile anti Dublin propoganda and we'll keep winning All Irelands. Maybe not 7 million of them but lots and lots. Meanwhile Laois will contue to wallow in its own mediocrity, blaming everyone else for their own inadequacies.

Dublin haven't won an All Ireland since 1995, they've bought 2 however and I agree there will be more on the way.
Laois may be useless but at least we're competing with honour and integrity.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

BennyCake

Ha ha, steady on there. It took you 16 years to even get back into a final after 95. The last 2 AIs you fell over the line, like a drunk slapper with her knickers around her ankles.

When you blow teams out of the water continually, or win 5 in a decade like Kerry did recently or better, then you can talk.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 04:32:43 PM

Dublin haven't won an All Ireland since 1995, they've bought 2 however and I agree there will be more on the way.
how much did Laois pay Justin Mc Nulty ?

Dont Matter

7 million, oh no wait, it was just a couple of thousand.
Peter Quinn

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 04:56:42 PM
7 million, oh no wait, it was just a couple of thousand.

Hope those lemons taste nice.

Just remember where you'll have to go to get a look at Sam.

Dont Matter

It must be such a let down, you want to celebrate winning 2 All Irelands in 3 years but always the reality of knowing you were bought them hits you.
Peter Quinn

Michael Schmeichal

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 25, 2013, 04:32:43 PM

Would you say it was an act of honour and integrity for half the Laois football panel to piss of to America after the first rd of the Leinster Championship? Leaving the rest of their teammates and mananagement to face into the qualifiers without them.

Dont Matter

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 25, 2013, 05:17:11 PM
Would you say it was an act of honour and integrity for half the Laois football panel to piss of to America after the first rd of the Leinster Championship? Leaving the rest of their teammates and mananagement to face into the qualifiers without them.

It was only 4 and not all counties can hand out pretend jobs and have them paid for.
Peter Quinn