HILL16 Should it be a Dubs only area ?

Started by SkillfulBill, September 23, 2013, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: BennyCake on September 23, 2013, 11:09:08 PM
The Dubs only think they own the Hill. Remember when Whelan led them up to the Hill in 06 v Mayo, as if they owned the place. Bunch of fuckwits.

You're the fuckwit here pal!!

BennyCake

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on September 23, 2013, 11:16:34 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 23, 2013, 11:09:08 PM
The Dubs only think they own the Hill. Remember when Whelan led them up to the Hill in 06 v Mayo, as if they owned the place. Bunch of fuckwits.

You're the fuckwit here pal!!

That incident sums up the Dubs thinking towards the Hill. As I said, the Dubs like to think they own it. They don't.

SkillfulBill

I understand the economics argument and the neutrality issues.  But why after almost a 100 years of counties respecting this tradition within the GAA was it necessary to change it. Did the Mayo county board think they had something to gain from holding on to their greater allocation for the hill.

BennyCake

I've heard many reports of disgusting incidents from Dubs on the Hill directed to other fans. So I would imagine some counties fans don't want to go near the Hill for such reasons, so they leave it to the knackers Dubs.

Wildweasel74

The hill aint Dublin by right though you read Paul Bealin in the Irish Star you think it is. Paul says "it may sound arrogant but i think the hill should belong to Dublin" Sorry Paul, Arrogant i think describes you to a tee, croke park belongs to all the gaa counties not Dublin alone

sans pessimism

Dublin team didn't show much respect to it's people on Hill 16 when they broke away from the parade before they even got as far as it.Mind you when you hear the booing/jeering of opposition freetakers coming from that place its hardly a surprise they didn't parade past them
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

moysider

Quote from: sans pessimism on September 24, 2013, 12:27:36 AM
Dublin team didn't show much respect to it's people on Hill 16 when they broke away from the parade before they even got as far as it.Mind you when you hear the booing/jeering of opposition freetakers coming from that place its hardly a surprise they didn't parade past them

Noted that. My interpretation of that was it was a deliberate gesture because they would not march in front of a hill with bogmen in it. I suspected it was a deliberate and the Dublin supporters around me agreed. I ve no problem with that and sure the Dublin board will be happy to pay the fine. The point has been made. Dublin s homeground is Croke Park and The Hill is it s soul. Parnell Park is as relevant as a Tesco carpark. For the Galways and Rossies and Sligos that are smirking about Mayo s loss yesterday, and think that they would have done better, think about taking on the Dubs on Ai final day.

I thought McQuillan was spooked at times and it was a factor - hell the venue and occasion is always a factor but when Dublin are involved it s stacked against the opposition. The last 3 AIs that Dublin have won have been by 1 point. They lost a couple narrow ones as well of course but playing Dublin in an AI final in CP you have to be a lot better than them. Kerry were better in 2011 imo and lost. I honestly believe we were the best team in country this year. But Dublin in CP were a bridge too far.

BennyCake

Moysider, you make it sound as though Mayo fans had no right to be standing on the Hill. How twisted and arrogant is that?

And if what you say is true, that the Dublin team didn't parade near the hill because Mayo fans were on it, that says all you need to know about Dublin GAA.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on September 24, 2013, 02:01:40 AM
I honestly believe we were the best team in country this year. But Dublin in CP were a bridge too far.
You could make a case for how Mayo could have won the game however over the seventy minutes and all year the best team won the All Ireland. Croke park home games is what it is and Mayo were good enough to beat Dublin in front of full house last year and 2006 however on Sunday after few minutes of the second half it was clear this was another final that was a bridge too far.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 24, 2013, 03:01:26 AM
I honestly believe we were the best team in country this year. But Dublin in CP were a bridge too far.
You could make a case for how Mayo could have won the game however over the seventy minutes and all year the best team won the All Ireland. Croke park home games is what it is and Mayo were good enough to beat Dublin in front of full house last year and 2006 however on Sunday after few minutes of the second half it was clear this was another final that was a bridge too far.

People try to play this fatalistic card but Dublin for their part were severely limited, with only Brogan making much of an impact on the score-sheet. They were far from all conquering against a Mayo side hampered by injuries up front. Andy's goal may have been 'against the run of play' but how many times have we seen goals like that turn games on their head? Had Dublin not immediately responded with a goal they would have been in serious trouble when their team broke down in the final ten minutes with injuries and no remaining subs, they were in no shape to chase even a slender lead.

Dublin edged it but this was Mayo's golden opportunity. Mayo supporters should feel almost as sick as they did in 1996 as that game was there to be won.

Aristo 60

Ah they'd it thought through alright - putting the Mayo young'uns onto the hill was like taking the first line troops out of the war - risk of potential pitch invasion greatly reduced

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: sans pessimism on September 24, 2013, 12:27:36 AM

Noted that. My interpretation of that was it was a deliberate gesture because they would not march in front of a hill with bogmen in it. I suspected it was a deliberate and the Dublin supporters around me agreed. I ve no problem with that and sure the Dublin board will be happy to pay the fine. The point has been made. Dublin s homeground is Croke Park and The Hill is it s soul. Parnell Park is as relevant as a Tesco carpark. For the Galways and Rossies and Sligos that are smirking about Mayo s loss yesterday, and think that they would have done better, think about taking on the Dubs on Ai final day.

I thought McQuillan was spooked at times and it was a factor - hell the venue and occasion is always a factor but when Dublin are involved it s stacked against the opposition. The last 3 AIs that Dublin have won have been by 1 point. They lost a couple narrow ones as well of course but playing Dublin in an AI final in CP you have to be a lot better than them. Kerry were better in 2011 imo and lost. I honestly believe we were the best team in country this year. But Dublin in CP were a bridge too far.

Yeah, it was definitely deliberate but doubt the reason was because there was a sizeable Mayo contingent on the Hill. IMO Dublin were trying to upset Mayo's preparation by taking the ground they would have been expecting to stand on for the anthem. Like Wexford in 96 and Cork in 10 they weren't fazed, they finished the parade and made much the better start. The organised circle of exercises worked well for Mayo as well, whereas Dublin after looking at this for a minute attempted something similar but it looked as disorganised as it probably was.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

deiseach

Quote from: SkillfulBill on September 23, 2013, 11:29:29 PM
I understand the economics argument and the neutrality issues.  But why after almost a 100 years of counties respecting this tradition within the GAA was it necessary to change it. Did the Mayo county board think they had something to gain from holding on to their greater allocation for the hill.

100 years? Do you seriously think the Hill was thronged with Dubs for the 1921 final?

screenexile

Fcuk Dublin! They have the largest pool of players... the most money available... the best facilities... get to play all their matches at home... the most supporters etc. etc.

Croke Park IS NOT Dublin's home pitch and should therefore be a neutral venue. If the game isn't sold out and most of the Dubs want to go to the Hill then let them at it but on the occasions when it's full both teams should be equally afforded low cost options to go watch their team play an All Ireland Final. It's only fair and tradition should have nothing to do with it!

squire_in_navy_slacks

jesus how archaic is this .............................. Mayo got 7000 tickets for hill16 and fair play to them, it looked great with all the fans inter mingled and getting on with it