Neighbourly love

Started by AZOffaly, September 23, 2013, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: muppet on September 24, 2013, 07:15:15 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on September 24, 2013, 04:56:07 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2013, 04:51:17 PM

Playing the All-Ireland-less neighbours (somethings never change, eh?) in the Connacht final,

In 1946??? You might want to check your history there

I think he would need to check out a lot of history. Matches were frequently subject to objections going way back.

Look at the 1925 Championship for example.

A yes even win Mayo are All-Ireland Champions the GAA take it away.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2013, 09:26:10 PM
Quote from: maddog on September 24, 2013, 09:19:06 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 24, 2013, 09:15:25 PM
Quote from: maddog on September 24, 2013, 08:39:18 PM
Quote from: Feckitt on September 24, 2013, 03:01:04 PM
Quote from: maddog on September 24, 2013, 02:30:41 PM
From Armagh

Happy to support any ulster county bar Down. Its their arrogance that I struggle with. Tyrone we love to beat but at same time will support them when they are playing a non ulster county. Out of all the other counties the only ones that I really had a bad experience with was Laois. Go home british b**tards etc in the 1994 league final. Same thing again in 03 1/4 final. Some of the best fans I have met were the Dubs, great craic and get a bad press for some reason.

I forgot about Laois.  The 2005 All Ireland Quarter Final is long forgotten because it was such a one sided game.  Basicly Armagh (at their peak) absolutely just stuffed Laois.  It was like boys against men.  At no point in the game was it even close, and Armagh who were famed at that time for hard hitting football never really had to up the ante.

This description of the match and circumstances makes the atmosphere at the game all the more remarkable.  The Laois fans were horrible, bitter, and aggressive.  They were foul mouthed and partitionist.  I've never seen the like of it before or since.

Had one fella giving out to my (at the time) 6 year old nephew outside the hoganstand bar saying f**k off back to Britain. Seems to be a thing with them. Anyway you cant let yourself be dragged down to the their level. On a more positive note best fans I think are Roscommon. The craic out of them is deadly. Plus it helps I have some friends from the disputed territory of Ballagh and the one sided town of Loughlynn. Cork fans I like for their stoutness, its like defeat is not an option but can take it when it doesn't work out for them.
Mayo I feel for. Jesus what is it gonna take.

If you have friends from Ballagh then you have friends from Mayo.

No Ballagh is inside the Roscommon border is it not ?

Basic geography isn't Mayo GAA peoples' strongest suit, God help the poor things.

Always liked the craic out of Armagh lads, by the way. Derry and Down tend to be good too but I haven't had many occasions to see our counties play.

What about history? History is more important than Geography.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2013, 09:26:10 PM
From Armagh

Happy to support any ulster county bar Down. Its their arrogance that I struggle with. Tyrone we love to beat but at same time will support them when they are playing a non ulster county. Out of all the other counties the only ones that I really had a bad experience with was Laois. Go home british b**tards etc in the 1994 league final. Same thing again in 03 1/4 final. Some of the best fans I have met were the Dubs, great craic and get a bad press for some reason.

I forgot about Laois.  The 2005 All Ireland Quarter Final is long forgotten because it was such a one sided game.  Basicly Armagh (at their peak) absolutely just stuffed Laois.  It was like boys against men.  At no point in the game was it even close, and Armagh who were famed at that time for hard hitting football never really had to up the ante.

This description of the match and circumstances makes the atmosphere at the game all the more remarkable.  The Laois fans were horrible, bitter, and aggressive.  They were foul mouthed and partitionist.  I've never seen the like of it before or since.

Had one fella giving out to my (at the time) 6 year old nephew outside the hoganstand bar saying f**k off back to Britain. Seems to be a thing with them. Anyway you cant let yourself be dragged down to the their level. On a more positive note best fans I think are Roscommon. The craic out of them is deadly. Plus it helps I have some friends from the disputed territory of Ballagh and the one sided town of Loughlynn. Cork fans I like for their stoutness, its like defeat is not an option but can take it when it doesn't work out for them.

Basic geography isn't Mayo GAA peoples' strongest suit, God help the poor things.

Always liked the craic out of Armagh lads, by the way. Derry and Down tend to be good too but I haven't had many occasions to see our counties play.

Athlone expanded to take in the Hyde yer?  ;)

maddog

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 24, 2013, 09:26:25 PM
From Armagh

Mayo, the GAA and Ballagh true natives to not recognise this British imposed occupation.

If it wasn't for the British would we even have counties? When I was in Ballagh last it felt Rossie to me anyway and the locals up in Bolands in ferrymount defo felt that way. By the way that is one of the wildest spots I ever set foot in. Some craic.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: maddog on September 24, 2013, 09:42:52 PM
If it wasn't for the British would we even have counties?
Unlikely and what have the Romans ever done for us?

Syferus

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 24, 2013, 09:26:25 PM
From Armagh

Mayo, the GAA and Ballagh true natives to not recognise this British imposed occupation.

If it wasn't for the British would we even have counties? When I was in Ballagh last it felt Rossie to me anyway and the locals up in Bolands in ferrymount defo felt that way. By the way that is one of the wildest spots I ever set foot in. Some craic.

Fairymount! I got confirmed there.

In the church, not the pub. That was afterwards.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 24, 2013, 09:49:32 PM

No the English gave us counties, the feckn British fucked up Ballagh.

Rossfan

. On a more positive note best fans I think are Roscommon. The craic out of them is deadly. Plus it helps I have some friends from the disputed territory of Ballagh and the one sided town of Loughlynn.
You are one intelligent decent  individual who recognises class when you see it.
For the record Mayo starts about 4 miles west of Ballagh.

Of the Counties that don't border Ros - I always like to see the 6 Co teams doing well( although Tyrone have gone down a good bit now) - with Armagh and Fermanagh fans being the nicest of them.
I like the 3 Ulster teams in the 26 Cos, Sure the 4 minnows in Munster couldn't care less about football so no use counting them or Kilkenny or Wexford.
You couldn't have anything against Carlow, Wicklow, or Louth. Kildare went down a bit but as my in laws live there I still love them.
I've always liked the Biffs. Laois have no support as they prefer knocking lumps out of each other ( 2 clubs in Arles FFS !!).
Meaths very hard to listen to but I still have good time for them and Cork as we need them to keep Kerry and Dublin in their boxes from time to time. I always shout for whoever plays Kerry or Dublin.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 24, 2013, 09:58:59 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 24, 2013, 09:49:32 PM

No the English gave us counties, the feckn British fucked up Ballagh.

Thats like saying the Mexicans think the Americans fucked up Texas.

reddgnhand

Don't really dislike or like any other team. Met some great people from different counties on my travels. If we ever have to be segregated is the day I'll stop going to the games.

gwan-ye-boy-ya

County : Monaghan

Fermanagh : Support them
Tyrone : Support them, Got over Cavanagh in AIQ and cheered them against Mayo.
Armagh : Support them
Louth : Support them
Meath : Love it when they get bate. just love it.
Cavan : Support them. Love to bate them though. just love it.

BennyCake

Quote from: gwan-ye-boy-ya on September 24, 2013, 10:42:22 PM
County : Monaghan

Fermanagh : Support them
Tyrone : Support them, Got over Cavanagh in AIQ and cheered them against Mayo.
Armagh : Support them
Louth : Support them
Meath : Love it when they get bate. just love it.
Cavan : Support them. Love to bate them though. just love it.

Calm down there, Keegan  ;D

The Boy Wonder

I'm bemused by of the vitriol being spewed by some Armagh supporters against Laois. Having attended most of Armagh-Laois matches in Championship and league over the past 20 years I've not witnessed the behaviour complained of - I can't say it didn't happen but I would contend that a tiny minority of Laois "supporters" were to blame. I think any county supporters who carry grudges against other counties and broadcast such prejudices on a forum such as this are just small-minded, juvenile and immature.

At recent Laois games Vs Kildare, Meath and Longford I listened to terrible abuse towards Laois players from a small handful of opposition supporters - again these were tiny obnoxious elements and you just can't smear any county for the ignorance of a few.

Back to the neighbourly love theme - I always had grudging admiration and jealousy of Offaly's achievements in hurling and football down the years - oh that it could have been my county instead. Nor would I have begrudged Kildare had they made the breakthrough.

maddog

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on September 25, 2013, 12:11:28 AM
I'm bemused by of the vitriol being spewed by some Armagh supporters against Laois. Having attended most of Armagh-Laois matches in Championship and league over the past 20 years I've not witnessed the behaviour complained of - I can't say it didn't happen but I would contend that a tiny minority of Laois "supporters" were to blame. I think any county supporters who carry grudges against other counties and broadcast such prejudices on a forum such as this are just small-minded, juvenile and immature.

At recent Laois games Vs Kildare, Meath and Longford I listened to terrible abuse towards Laois players from a small handful of opposition supporters - again these were tiny obnoxious elements and you just can't smear any county for the ignorance of a few.

Back to the neighbourly love theme - I always had grudging admiration and jealousy of Offaly's achievements in hurling and football down the years - oh that it could have been my county instead. Nor would I have begrudged Kildare had they made the breakthrough.

I wouldn't call it vitriol. You are right though every county has them, you just have them in spades. Thank god there is the like of Budweiser among ye. Ask yourself why we might be small minded juvenile and immature towards a county that we have no rivalry with.

reddgnhand

Quote from: maddog on September 25, 2013, 12:25:51 AM
Quote from: The Boy Wonder on September 25, 2013, 12:11:28 AM

I wouldn't call it vitriol. You are right though every county has them, you just have them in spades. Thank god there is the like of Budweiser among ye. Ask yourself why we might be small minded juvenile and immature towards a county that we have no rivalry with.

Maddog

How do you work that out did you count them?