Neighbourly love

Started by AZOffaly, September 23, 2013, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 24, 2013, 02:40:03 PM
Quote from: maddog on September 24, 2013, 02:37:57 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 24, 2013, 02:32:34 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2013, 02:55:25 PM
A comment on another thread made me think. Would you support your neighbours/greatest rivals in a game like an All Ireland, or would that be a step too far? In what circumstances would you shout for them?

I know there is a strong Ulster and Connacht tradition of wishing their 'representatives' well, but I get a sense that is diluting a little bit in Ulster's case as they've gotten more successful individually. It's never really been a Leinster thing, although I'd have always shouted for Kilkenny in hurling on the basis that I wanted everyone else to see what we had to deal with. In the football I'm not sure I've ever shouted for a Leinster team just because they are Leinster. I've leant towards Meath in a couple of big games because I admire their tradition and the fact that you used to be able to hit and get hit without a war crimes tribunal being called for.

So, in a Vox Pop, state your county, your rival neighbour(s) and if you would support them in an All Ireland against a county other than your own (or if there are special circumstances)

In a county like Offaly, we have several neighbours and depending on your location within the county you may or may not be that affected by the rivalry. I'm from the West, so our local Football rivals would be Westmeath. I'd never have even considered supporting them in the past, unless a relation was playing, but I think these days I've softened to them and I would wish them well at this stage.

In hurling Galway would be closest to ourselves, and I have no problem shouting for Galway unless they are playing someone with a painful history like Limerick or Waterford.

I know lads in Gracefield that will never shout for Laois, Edenderry for Kildare, Coolderry for Tipp, etc.  What about in yer neck of the woods?

I don't understand this provincial camaraderie shite. Would Cork be shouting for Kerry? Would the Royals be backing the Dubs?

The answer is NO and NO. Full stop.

I'm from Down, I support Down. Sin é.

(Apart from a wee sneaking admiration for Kerry ;))

We know 5 sams, you fancy yourselves as somehow similar. :o

I call it mutual respect.

Id call it a fanciful crush.

Throw ball

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 24, 2013, 04:15:29 PM
I didn't realise there was such antipathy from Armagh to Laois

As an Armagh man I would have to agree with others about Laois. The 2005 match was the worst experience I ever had at Croke Park.

maddog

Quote from: Feckitt on September 24, 2013, 03:01:04 PM
Quote from: maddog on September 24, 2013, 02:30:41 PM
From Armagh

Happy to support any ulster county bar Down. Its their arrogance that I struggle with. Tyrone we love to beat but at same time will support them when they are playing a non ulster county. Out of all the other counties the only ones that I really had a bad experience with was Laois. Go home british b**tards etc in the 1994 league final. Same thing again in 03 1/4 final. Some of the best fans I have met were the Dubs, great craic and get a bad press for some reason.

I forgot about Laois.  The 2005 All Ireland Quarter Final is long forgotten because it was such a one sided game.  Basicly Armagh (at their peak) absolutely just stuffed Laois.  It was like boys against men.  At no point in the game was it even close, and Armagh who were famed at that time for hard hitting football never really had to up the ante.

This description of the match and circumstances makes the atmosphere at the game all the more remarkable.  The Laois fans were horrible, bitter, and aggressive.  They were foul mouthed and partitionist.  I've never seen the like of it before or since.

Had one fella giving out to my (at the time) 6 year old nephew outside the hoganstand bar saying f**k off back to Britain. Seems to be a thing with them. Anyway you cant let yourself be dragged down to the their level. On a more positive note best fans I think are Roscommon. The craic out of them is deadly. Plus it helps I have some friends from the disputed territory of Ballagh and the one sided town of Loughlynn. Cork fans I like for their stoutness, its like defeat is not an option but can take it when it doesn't work out for them.
Mayo I feel for. Jesus what is it gonna take.

Throw ball

Quote from: laoislad on September 24, 2013, 08:17:55 PM
As for non neighbours I would say Armagh Tyrone and Dublin I hate with a passion.
Ignorant shower of supporters as well,some of them.

I should add that the Laois supporters at met in Portlaoise the last two years at league matches were very pleasant. Will take a while to lose the 05 memories though!

Laois will get a great welcome in the Athletic Grounds next year. Probably get two point too. :(

laoislad

I blame Billy Sheehan.He upset the little scrots something fierce ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

maddog

Quote from: laoislad on September 24, 2013, 08:48:10 PM

I blame Billy Sheehan.He upset the little scrots something fierce ;D

who?

theticklemister

So we are all agreed......................Tyrone are the biggest shower of bastards in the GAA followed by Derrytresk?

ONeill

Haha - I think you're spot on there.

At the Mayo game I heard a young Tyrone lad behind me ask his ma 'Is it ok to boo?'.

He was told by the ma to go right ahead. I think they were from the west.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

maddog

Quote from: ONeill on September 24, 2013, 08:54:57 PM
Haha - I think you're spot on there.

At the Mayo game I heard a young Tyrone lad behind me ask his ma 'Is it ok to boo?'.

He was told by the ma to go right ahead. I think they were from the west.

Strabane?

ONeill

Aye, possibly related to FoSB.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lar Naparka

My County- Mayo, God help us!
Inclined to back any other Connacht county when playing against "outsiders."
Within the province, hmmm...

Galway- I respect them and never, ever take them for granted but I'd cheer for any of the others (Sligo, Roscommon, Leitrim) if they were playing the heron chokers.
Roscommon- I'd back them against Galway and probably Sligo.
I quite like the Rossies by and .large but they do have a greater than average amount of laitchekoes amongst the supporters. Still, they are my favourite neighbours.
Leitrim- I know next to nothing about that county but since it's the one with the least resources, I tend to back them regardless of the opposition.
Sligo- I used to like them a lot but I'm not so sure now. Back in 2010, they beat the worst Mayo team I have ever seen and you'd think from the gimp of the average supporter that they had won the All-Ireland.
That's not just the usual suspects on this board but a few others I know as well. They'd go outa their way to brag about their achievement and felt they had the Connacht title in the bag. Roscommon, fair play t them, caught them napping in the Connacht Final and some of the hoors I know have recovered from the shock yet.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: maddog on September 24, 2013, 08:39:18 PM
From Armagh

Happy to support any ulster county bar Down. Its their arrogance that I struggle with. Tyrone we love to beat but at same time will support them when they are playing a non ulster county. Out of all the other counties the only ones that I really had a bad experience with was Laois. Go home british b**tards etc in the 1994 league final. Same thing again in 03 1/4 final. Some of the best fans I have met were the Dubs, great craic and get a bad press for some reason.

I forgot about Laois.  The 2005 All Ireland Quarter Final is long forgotten because it was such a one sided game.  Basicly Armagh (at their peak) absolutely just stuffed Laois.  It was like boys against men.  At no point in the game was it even close, and Armagh who were famed at that time for hard hitting football never really had to up the ante.

This description of the match and circumstances makes the atmosphere at the game all the more remarkable.  The Laois fans were horrible, bitter, and aggressive.  They were foul mouthed and partitionist.  I've never seen the like of it before or since.

Had one fella giving out to my (at the time) 6 year old nephew outside the hoganstand bar saying f**k off back to Britain. Seems to be a thing with them. Anyway you cant let yourself be dragged down to the their level. On a more positive note best fans I think are Roscommon. The craic out of them is deadly. Plus it helps I have some friends from the disputed territory of Ballagh and the one sided town of Loughlynn. Cork fans I like for their stoutness, its like defeat is not an option but can take it when it doesn't work out for them.

If you have friends from Ballagh then you have friends from Mayo.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

maddog

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 24, 2013, 09:15:25 PM
From Armagh

No Ballagh is inside the Roscommon border is it not ?

Syferus

Quote from: maddog on September 24, 2013, 09:19:06 PM
From Armagh

Basic geography isn't Mayo GAA peoples' strongest suit, God help the poor things.

Always liked the craic out of Armagh lads, by the way. Derry and Down tend to be good too but I haven't had many occasions to see our counties play.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: maddog on September 24, 2013, 09:19:06 PM
From Armagh

Mayo, the GAA and Ballagh true natives to not recognise this British imposed occupation.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.