Mayo - You're Only A County But You Mean The World To Me

Started by ONeill, September 23, 2013, 01:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on September 24, 2013, 10:34:00 AM
Please leave Mayo alone.

Here are some facts about Mayo:

It is a county with a rich and varied landscape, stretching from Lough Corrib and Killary Harbour, Ireland's only fjord, in the south, to Killala Bay in the north, and from the Atlantic to the west to counties Sligo and Roscommon in the east.

From east to west the landscape of Mayo ranges from relatively flat terrain interspersed with the island-studded lakes of Lough Conn, Lough Carra, and Lough Mask, to the rugged cliffs and islands of the Atlantic coast.

The blanket (freeflowing, attractive, eye-pleasing, almost Dublinesque) bogs in the north give way to the Nephin Beg range of mountains.

The famous Croagh Patrick (765m) lies to the south, and just above Killary harbour lies Mweelrea which, at 819m, is the highest peak in Connaught.

Mayo's chief rivers are the Moy, Deel, Palmerstown, Ballinglin, Glenamoy, Owenmore, Owening, Owenduff, Newport, Bunowen, and the Erriff.

No blankets in Mayo!
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

I'll climb the Reek bare-foot for ye next year, lads.

Chimley

Quote from: muppet on September 24, 2013, 01:03:09 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 24, 2013, 10:34:00 AM
Please leave Mayo alone.

Here are some facts about Mayo:

It is a county with a rich and varied landscape, stretching from Lough Corrib and Killary Harbour, Ireland's only fjord, in the south, to Killala Bay in the north, and from the Atlantic to the west to counties Sligo and Roscommon in the east.

From east to west the landscape of Mayo ranges from relatively flat terrain interspersed with the island-studded lakes of Lough Conn, Lough Carra, and Lough Mask, to the rugged cliffs and islands of the Atlantic coast.

The blanket (freeflowing, attractive, eye-pleasing, almost Dublinesque) bogs in the north give way to the Nephin Beg range of mountains.

The famous Croagh Patrick (765m) lies to the south, and just above Killary harbour lies Mweelrea which, at 819m, is the highest peak in Connaught.

Mayo's chief rivers are the Moy, Deel, Palmerstown, Ballinglin, Glenamoy, Owenmore, Owening, Owenduff, Newport, Bunowen, and the Erriff.

No blankets in Mayo!

We've Foxford rugs though.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: God14 on September 24, 2013, 08:22:29 AM
Why was the original 'no sympathy' thread taken down? I appreciate that it was a sore spot for a few of the mayo ones, but it wasn't offensive and they don't have to read the thread if they don't want to - as the title was self explanatory?
I thought there was some good debate & banter on it.

Nothing wrong with the original thread, it gave me a laugh on Sunday evening. He should put it back up again, now that some of the Mayo boys are reappearing.

deiseach

Quote from: FL/MAYO on September 24, 2013, 01:17:12 PM
Why was the original 'no sympathy' thread taken down? I appreciate that it was a sore spot for a few of the mayo ones, but it wasn't offensive and they don't have to read the thread if they don't want to - as the title was self explanatory?

Nothing wrong with the original thread, it gave me a laugh on Sunday evening. He should put it back up again, now that some of the Mayo boys are reappearing.

I'm guessing he took it down himself.

ONeill

"There's a green and red rainbow over the Reek"

Sketch
Áine Ryan

HIGH Street Westport and the blackboard outside McGings pub says: "Mayo vs Dublin: 3.30pm." Shortly after 5pm three small children, like green and red rainbows, are meticulously rubbing out the 'Dublin' on the board. It is time to retreat, refocus on Mayo. Get back across the Shannon. Forget about  Dublin, Croke Park. The elusive Sam Maguire is back inside the Pale for another year. As one circumspect fan says: "We've waited 62 years for you, what's another year."

In the immediate moments after the painful one-point loss, there is little comfort in the heroic victory of the Minors who beat Tyrone in their level of the championship, the first time to bring home the Tom Markham cup since 1985. Two hours earlier there was a carnival atmosphere inside that had dribbled out to the sun-soaked yard bar at the back during the interval since the successful completion of the minor match.

Minutes later the on-screen singing of Amhrán na bhFiann fails to dull the hum of excitement as the sea of green and red in the packed pub prepares to surge and dance with every forward move of the Mayo team. There is a roar when a snapshot of a huge flag in the Croke Park crowds appears momentarily on the giant screen: "Aghamore GAA Club. Come Back Sam."

Four minutes in and the ceiling is undoubtedly warped by the roars: 'C'mon Mayo. That's it Mayo.. over the bar,' as Andy Moran scores the first point of the match. Hawkeye's earlier thumbs-down for that valiant first effort at scoring is easily forgiven in the frenzy of unbridled hope. Fifteen minutes in and we were leading 0-4 to 0-1.

Ominously, a frisson of fear chills the atmosphere when Bernard Brogan flicks his first goal over Robbie Hennelly's head. Hennelly would make some heroic saves but this is a body-blow and there is a communal intake of breath until Andy Moran drags Mayo back into the game with a goal. But it is 20 minutes from the final whistle. Even though it is now 1-9 each, the atmosphere has been more muted right throughout the second-half.

Dublin's increased use of rugby-style tackles causes colourful language. "Get off him you blue f***er. Where are ye ref when you are needed?."   

The clock is ticking, the bar is silent, Cillian O'Connor's final point propels through the air in slow-motion. A haemmorhage of green and red bodies leaves the bar. Over in the corner the blue chorus from Croke Park is muted as jazz band The Hip Pocket Trio sets up. Their upbeat riffs and feel-good beats are the perfect antidote for some not-so-sober reflection.

"We did only lose by one point and the Minors won. Somebody told me a minute ago that there's a green and red rainbow over the Reek. Now will you get up there to the bar and get another round."

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18608:theres-a-green-and-red-rainbow-over-the-reek&catid=23:news&Itemid=46
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Cold tea

This is embarrassing now!  It's worse than Paul Grimley apologizing for Armagh's performance against Cavan.

Aristo 60

Quote from: Cold tea on September 24, 2013, 03:20:50 PM
This is embarrassing now!  It's worse than Paul Grimley apologizing for Armagh's performance against Cavan.

Grimely had no Plan B. We are currently in O'Neill's Plan B.

ONeill

Farewell to Mayo

When the schools got out for summer I got started
On the long awaited journey to the west.
I was feeling so excited and light hearted
I was heading for the place that I loved best.

And the bus said "Sligo" on the destination
On down through Barnsmore Gap and Billintra,
Then you got another bus at Sligo station
And the Freestate writing spelt out Ballina.

At Enniscrone the broad Atlantic
Meant that you hadn't far to go
And when you saw the top of Nephin
You knew you'd landed in Mayo,
God bless Mayo

Friendly hands to take you hand and say he's bigger
Hefty arms to hoist you high and hug you hard.
Take the road through Crossmolina to the river
And the sideroad takes you back to Garranard.

And I knew every windy corner
Of the little fields below
And every ripple of that river
Cross the stepping stones I'd go,
There in Mayo.

When the day came to go back my heart was bleeding
With a grief that seems relentless when you're small,
They say every child should have his share of Eden
But a city child needs Eden most of all.

Back to the darkening streets of Tyrone
Broken hearted I must go,
Far from the splendour and the silence
And the wonder of Mayo,
Farewell Mayo.

ONeill

Just a thought here - that Criost Linn on the crest - would there be some non-Chrisians on the side and maybe they're a bit pissed off and not maybe giving it 100%?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ONeill on September 24, 2013, 09:07:37 PM
Just a thought here - that Criost Linn on the crest - would there be some non-Chrisians on the side and maybe they're a bit pissed off and not maybe giving it 100%?

It's am improvement on Dia is Muire linn. Ath least Criost actually existed. Any Mayo atheist, agnostic would have to see that as progress. Green and Red is all that matters.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: FL/MAYO on September 24, 2013, 01:17:12 PM

Yeah me too...f**king hell the things that have been said about the team are way worse than what Shane O'Neill from Glenavy put up.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Shane O'Neill or Steven O'Neill? It would explain his form this season.