Centers of excellance

Started by The Insider, September 12, 2013, 09:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on November 12, 2013, 09:07:10 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 12, 2013, 05:21:47 PM
Trueblue - this is the "connacht" center of excellence. While the rooms might be all great ideas who is going to use them. Only Roscommon and maybe south mayo probably. Sligo and Leitrim started working on their own centers of excellence so obviously don't think much of the idea of doing their gym work or physio in Ballyhaunis. I tend to agree that this is largely a waste of money.

It's mainly for underage teams and day trips by county teams, not for going back and down every week. Strange that you didn't even mention Galway (Tuam is a 25 minute drive from Ballyhaunis) or East Mayo, where Ballyhaunis is. South Sligo is within easy driving distance of the centre and the Sligo senior team has made more than a few training trips to Bekan over the past two years or so.

The day of the second round of the Tedd Webb this year alone had eight U16 games in the morning and then an underage hurling blitz was coming in when the football had ended.

It's getting plenty of use. Costly, but the location is hard to argue with.
Yes and a fair number of Sligo clubs are using the place as well.  That's what I read in the Connacht Tribune when it covered the appointment Of John Tobin, the former Galway footballer to the coaching staff.
The press release stated that, in fact, Sligo clubs appeared to be more interested in the place than those of any other county. As far as I know, Cathal Cregg, works there also. I'd say clubs in North and East Galway make use of the facilities there also as it's within easy reach of all that region.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 12, 2013, 11:08:58 PM
Trueblue - this is the "connacht" center of excellence. While the rooms might be all great ideas who is going to use them. Only Roscommon and maybe south mayo probably. Sligo and Leitrim started working on their own centers of excellence so obviously don't think much of the idea of doing their gym work or physio in Ballyhaunis. I tend to agree that this is largely a waste of money.

It's mainly for underage teams and day trips by county teams, not for going back and down every week. Strange that you didn't even mention Galway (Tuam is a 25 minute drive from Ballyhaunis) or East Mayo, where Ballyhaunis is. South Sligo is within easy driving distance of the centre and the Sligo senior team has made more than a few training trips to Bekan over the past two years or so.

The day of the second round of the Tedd Webb this year alone had eight U16 games in the morning and then an underage hurling blitz was coming in when the football had ended.

Yes and a fair number of Sligo clubs are using the place as well.  That's what I read in the Connacht Tribune when it covered the appointment Of John Tobin, the former Galway footballer to the coaching staff.
The press release stated that, in fact, Sligo clubs appeared to be more interested in the place than those of any other county. As far as I know, Cathal Cregg, works there also. I'd say clubs in North and East Galway make use of the facilities there also as it's within easy reach of all that region.

Cregger's the Strength and Conditioning officer for Connacht GAA working out of Bekan alright. Was smart of the lads, for all the maligning we give them, to see the talent they had at their fingertips and got him right after he finished his Master's in DCU.

neilthemac

Quote from: fearglasmor on November 12, 2013, 08:56:08 PM
If you give someone a degree in something they have to be able to make claims to justify their existence. Sports Science is a self serving self promoting industry following what every other profession does by taking simple common sense ideas and building a mystique and language around them to make people believe it is more complicated than it actually is.

Who benefits most from the sports science industry ? Sportsmen, the watching public or sports scientists ?

Its amazing how all the great teams and players down the years could function without centres of excellence.
Different times
Thats cause numbers of kids playing the game were smaller

Don't belittle those past players and teams for their ignorance of relevant areas of sports science

trueblue1234

I know. I don't know much about the location or whether there was better sites available. But my point is that I don't see such a development as being a waste of money. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Crete Boom

Quote from: Syferus on November 12, 2013, 11:43:31 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 12, 2013, 11:08:58 PM

Cregger's the Strength and Conditioning officer for Connacht GAA working out of Bekan alright. Was smart of  the lads, for all the maligning we give them, to see the talent they had at their fingertips and got him right after he finished his Masters' in DCU.

Cathal also worked for a while with Connacht Rugby team under Elwood while he was finishing his masters. I would know a couple of the lads in the squad and they rated him highly from his time with them. Seems to be a good asset to have here in Connacht.

Zulu

If you give someone a degree in something they have to be able to make claims to justify their existence. Sports Science is a self serving self promoting industry following what every other profession does by taking simple common sense ideas and building a mystique and language around them to make people believe it is more complicated than it actually is.

Who benefits most from the sports science industry ? Sportsmen, the watching public or sports scientists ?

Its amazing how all the great teams and players down the years could function without centres of excellence.

You shouldn't really highlight your ignorance on a subject, best to say nothing on topics you know little about.

Rossfan

Quote from: Zulu on November 13, 2013, 11:46:09 AM

You shouldn't really highlight your ignorance on a subject, best to say nothing on topics you know little about.

Jaysus but there'd be some reduction in the number of postings on GAABoard if that maxim was followed  :-X
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

fearglasmor

"There were lot of fools at the conference – pompous fools – and pompous fools drive me up the wall. Ordinary fools are alright; you can talk to them and try to help them out. But pompous fools – guys who are fools and covering it all over and impressing people as to how wonderful they are with all this hocus pocus – THAT, I CANNOT STAND! An ordinary fool isn't a faker; an honest fool is alright. But a dishonest fool is terrible!"

― Richard P. Feynman

muppet

Quote from: fearglasmor on November 13, 2013, 06:48:54 PM

"There were lot of fools at the conference – pompous fools – and pompous fools drive me up the wall. Ordinary fools are alright; you can talk to them and try to help them out. But pompous fools – guys who are fools and covering it all over and impressing people as to how wonderful they are with all this hocus pocus – THAT, I CANNOT STAND! An ordinary fool isn't a faker; an honest fool is alright. But a dishonest fool is terrible!"

― Richard P. Feynman

Feynman has some good quotes:

Quote"There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers."
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Jaysus muppet, give it a rest :)

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 13, 2013, 08:07:05 PM
Jaysus muppet, give it a rest :)

If we just pretend it didn't happen.......
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

― Richard P. Feynman

Don't go putting yourself down fearglasmor, I wouldn't say you're a fool, pompous or otherwise, you just shouldn't confidently state something mind boggingly incorrect on a subject you are not knowledgeable on. No man is an expert on everything so no need to beat yourself up.

fearglasmor

Quote from: Zulu on November 13, 2013, 10:31:46 PM

― Richard P. Feynman

Don't go putting yourself down fearglasmor, I wouldn't say you're a fool, pompous or otherwise, you just shouldn't confidently state something mind boggingly incorrect on a subject you are not knowledgeable on. No man is an expert on everything so no need to beat yourself up.

Ok, so instead of a statement that I should only post on issues I am knowledgeable or expert in, maybe you could help me out here by posting an insight into your expertise on the issue and maybe more than me would benefit from your post. I always thought that was the general idea behind discussion forums, though I am no expert on that subject either, so maybe I shouldn't  say that.

Zulu

Your absolutely right, we can all post whatever we want on whatever topic we want but would you not agree that we should temper our comments on topics we have limited knowledge on? Would you not regard a poster as a bit of an idiot if he came on here and said the following?;

1. I know nothing about football but that Dublin crowd are useless.

2. I've never even held a guitar but that Hendrix lad was pure shite.

3. I was in San Fran last year and that Golden Gate bridge is some piece of rubbish, I don't know what's keeping it up. I'm no engineer but the lad who designed that doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

I presume you'd agree the above comments are untrue and anyone saying them would not know much about football, guitar playing and engineering? Well you came out with the same kind of nonsense. You dismissed the science of human performance as.....

Quotea self serving self promoting industry following what every other profession does by taking simple common sense ideas and building a mystique and language around them to make people believe it is more complicated than it actually is

......that is patently nonsense and to come out with such a dismissive comment you should have a strong argument to support it and not just a "it's a free country so I can say whatever mad bollocks I like" defence.

You followed this with the daftest supporting argument I've ever heard.....

QuoteIts amazing how all the great teams and players down the years could function without centres of excellence.

If that's a reasonable argument you could argue that society functioned just fine when we all wore buffalo skins, lived in caves and hunted wild animals for our food. Humans functioned but few would argue that we haven't made some improvements. Centres of excellence are a great idea if they can be funded and built in the correct location.

fearglasmor

Quote from: Zulu on November 14, 2013, 02:22:14 PM
Your absolutely right, we can all post whatever we want on whatever topic we want but would you not agree that we should temper our comments on topics we have limited knowledge on? Would you not regard a poster as a bit of an idiot if he came on here and said the following?;

1. I know nothing about football but that Dublin crowd are useless.

2. I've never even held a guitar but that Hendrix lad was pure shite.

3. I was in San Fran last year and that Golden Gate bridge is some piece of rubbish, I don't know what's keeping it up. I'm no engineer but the lad who designed that doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

I presume you'd agree the above comments are untrue and anyone saying them would not know much about football, guitar playing and engineering? Well you came out with the same kind of nonsense. You dismissed the science of human performance as.....

Quotea self serving self promoting industry following what every other profession does by taking simple common sense ideas and building a mystique and language around them to make people believe it is more complicated than it actually is

......that is patently nonsense and to come out with such a dismissive comment you should have a strong argument to support it and not just a "it's a free country so I can say whatever mad bollocks I like" defence.

You followed this with the daftest supporting argument I've ever heard.....

QuoteIts amazing how all the great teams and players down the years could function without centres of excellence.

If that's a reasonable argument you could argue that society functioned just fine when we all wore buffalo skins, lived in caves and hunted wild animals for our food. Humans functioned but few would argue that we haven't made some improvements. Centres of excellence are a great idea if they can be funded and built in the correct location.

Well at least that's a response that opens up a discussion rather than shutting it down.

Regarding professions. As a fully qualified card carrying member of one and having gone through years of education and training equal to somewhere between a degree and a masters, I am convinced that what professional bodies do is as I stated. Take core principles, based in common sense approaches and build a language and theoretical framework around them so as to preclude the uninitiated and make the basic ideas more complicated than they are. I am not qualified in Sports Science but I do not expect their profession to be any different. To back that up I can rely on my own experience with excellent coaches long before anyone had considered sports science.

As for the original argument which was I think about centres of excellence being a waste of money, I would argue this. One of my own professional pre occupations is with cost benefit analysis. For an individual sportsman I have no problem in accepting that the cost and effort expended on forensic analysis of movement and working on changing or improving that movement has a direct relationship to the output of that sportsman. A golfer is probably a prime example where maybe a 1% improvement in distance, for example, might have a direct result in lower scores over a tournament. So in that case minute improvements can be justified. And maybe I'm wrong in this, but at the top level in any sport you are only talking about minute differences. For a team sport and especially an amateur team sport, I think the cost benefit relationship is completely different. If we start talking about small differences at an individual level, the impact of those differences are diluted by the fact that it is a team sport and so performance depends on the interaction of 20 individuals. There is further dilution by the fact that there are 20 opposing individuals who ave a direct impact on the teams performance. The officals in football are another active participant that impact the performance achieved. So it makes sense that the link between individual improvements and team output are much more diluted than they are in individual sports. 
So if the benefits are diluted, is the cost warranted for an amateur sports team ? To go back to my own vintage, would sports science make Matt Connor a better footballer, I don't think so. Would sports science have made a Matt Connor out of a John Guinan, I don't think so.
So what does it do. Maybe if guys believe it gives them an edge, then it does, but does that justify the cost?

I've lost track a bit on where I'm going now, and havent any more time to spend on it so Im gonna click post.