Sinead O'Connor

Started by Shamrock Shore, September 10, 2013, 12:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2013, 02:01:56 PM

I think she was way ahead of her time. She invented text speak with Nothing compares 2U even before there were mobile phones!

I thought U2 came up with it first

muppet

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on September 10, 2013, 02:56:48 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2013, 02:01:56 PM

I think she was way ahead of her time. She invented text speak with Nothing compares 2U even before there were mobile phones!

I thought U2 came up with it first

That is Bad but is only One of their Mysterious Ways.

MWWSI 2017

Dougal Maguire

Careful now

Itchy

I don't think it is very nice to describe her as mad. She is clearly troubled and suffers from bi polar disorder. I don't think that's too funny myself.

J OGorman

Poor woman having to deal with whats going on in her head. .Shes clearly unwell

Puckoon

Maybe she is mad, or maybe she is mad. Either way there's evidence there to underline the hypothesis that people with celebrity and money when allowed to run unchecked in how they choose to live their life by peers, friends, or family often end up in weird sad situations. Like having B and Q tattooed on their faces.

From the Bunker

A decent, loving person! An above average voice. Not afraid to ruffle feathers for what she believes in. In fairness she has got a lot of platforms on RTE to air her view over the years. I think she likes being in the lime light and craves attention. Various stunts such as her internet Love, Vegas wedding, becoming a Priest, Various partners, row with Shane McGowan, row with Mary Coughlan, tearing the picture of the Pope, and so on! This stunt will get her a few more weeks in the papers. But this stunt has a cutting your nose off to spite your face feel!

Wildweasel74

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Orior on September 10, 2013, 01:55:58 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on September 10, 2013, 01:21:21 PM
QuoteShe's a genius. A musical legend.

Would have to disagree with you there, her musical legacy is not one which would get her close to any such overused legendary status imo.

Agreed. Her one big hit, was written by Prince

Disagreed. Listen to any of her covers or songs on YouTube, and the woman is a musical genius. 'Foggy Dew' with the Chieftains is a stand out example. No female alive could sing that as uniquely as she does.
She also shone a light on different genres of Irish music at a time when most could not see past U2.
I think it is safe to say that the Cranberries for one would not have the fame they had if it wasn't for her.
Feel sorry for her - her voice and influence will be appreciated when she is no more.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

magpie seanie

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 10, 2013, 08:49:26 PM
A decent, loving person! An above average voice. Not afraid to ruffle feathers for what she believes in. In fairness she has got a lot of platforms on RTE to air her view over the years. I think she likes being in the lime light and craves attention. Various stunts such as her internet Love, Vegas wedding, becoming a Priest, Various partners, row with Shane McGowan, row with Mary Coughlan, tearing the picture of the Pope, and so on! This stunt will get her a few more weeks in the papers. But this stunt has a cutting your nose off to spite your face feel!

I know a few people who would dispute that first bit strongly and from a something that happened involving a relation of mine I'd be one of them.

She had a good voice but wasn't a "great" singer due to her breathing. Nothing Compares 2U was and still is magical. Besides that she just seems to be an attention seeker. If she really believed half of what she spouted she'd be more constructive in trying to bring about change, not generate headlines. I do strongly suspect she is mentally ill and really this should have been addressed by now.

laoislad

I think Nothing compares to you is one of the most annoying songs ever.I can't listen to it fecking hate it.

I do like the Haunted song she done with McGowan though.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Shamrock Shore

Ok - I take the point that perhaps labelling her "mad" is unfair but, as with anything, the first step is admitting one has a problem where one is evident.

She has a major problem and irregardless of her musical output (she was good when she was good and awful when she was poor) she needs help and it would seem those in a position to help her have either washed their hands or abrogated all responsibility.

I did hear that not so long ago she threatened to set herself on fire in the lobby of a newspaper office unless she got to speak to a journalist who had written something negative about her (not sure if she had a can of petrol with her) and added to me witnessing her behaviour close hand and off camera in a tv studio, her dressing up as a priest etc etc shows that she needs help urgently and out of the public glare.

deiseach

The woman is ill, as ill as if she were walking around with an axe in her head. In an ideal world, the media would not reinforce her illness. In this world . . . good luck with that.

johnneycool

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on September 10, 2013, 09:53:09 PM
Quote from: Orior on September 10, 2013, 01:55:58 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on September 10, 2013, 01:21:21 PM
QuoteShe's a genius. A musical legend.

Would have to disagree with you there, her musical legacy is not one which would get her close to any such overused legendary status imo.

Agreed. Her one big hit, was written by Prince

Disagreed. Listen to any of her covers or songs on YouTube, and the woman is a musical genius. 'Foggy Dew' with the Chieftains is a stand out example. No female alive could sing that as uniquely as she does.
She also shone a light on different genres of Irish music at a time when most could not see past U2.
I think it is safe to say that the Cranberries for one would not have the fame they had if it wasn't for her.
Feel sorry for her - her voice and influence will be appreciated when she is no more.

Her version of the Foggy Dew with the Chieftains is the best I've heard to date, fantastic voice irrespective of anything else about her.