Author Topic: Death Notices  (Read 790226 times)

nrico2006

• View Profile
Re: Death Notices
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2008, 02:12:38 PM »
Ivan Barr RIP.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2008, 02:14:51 PM »
Great article on the Antrim County site by Curly McIlwaine on Danny McAllister;

http://antrim.gaa.ie/news/details/?id=1023

R.I.P.

Good article alrite. Men were men in those days. RIP. Did his kids play any hurling if they were brought up in Whitehead?

Dont think it Bacon. His daughter Fiona and her husband Conor (who is our vice chairman) do the kind of work in our club nobody wants to do, you know the sort, they complain about things in the club but when they are asked for help they are always too busy, neither of them have ever been "too busy" to do work for the club.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffron sam2

• Not I surely ref.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2008, 09:31:56 PM »
Danny McAllister who played full-forward on the Antrim team that reached the All Ireland Senior Hurling final for the first time in 1943. RIP. Danny scored 4 goals in the Q/F win over Galway.

I'm told one of the few surviving members  (maybe the only surviving member)of that Antrim squad is former Rossa man Billy Best, cousin of the recently deceased Dickie Best.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #183 on: May 16, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »
I thought the Bests that are related to Geordie were St. John's men. Unless they had a black sheep.

Although, most Rossa men have Johnnies cousins/brothers etc. The Armstrongs, McCaffreys etc.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:57:46 PM by hardstation »

saffron sam2

• Not I surely ref.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 19, 2008, 07:17:33 PM »
I thought the Bests that are related to Geordie were St. John's men. Unless they had a black sheep.

Although, most Rossa men have Johnnies cousins/brothers etc. The Armstrongs, McCaffreys etc.

The Bests were originally O'Connell's men, but ended up at Rossa. Dickie's uncle is in that photo too.

The Rossa Armstrongs deny vehemently that they are related to the St. John's clan. They are scared that mud will stickie.

The McCaffreys were originally O'D's. Strange how they ended up playing for different clubs.

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »
A Mr. Gerry Armstrong (not the goal in spain one) is related to the Russian goalkeeper and played for St. John's. He lives near me.
How many Gerard Armstrongs are there for Jaysus sake?

The two McCaffs have marked each other on occasion. You wouldn't think they were brothers.
The better one was a Johnnies man. Even picked up a senior reserve player of the year award last year.

saffron sam2

• Not I surely ref.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 19, 2008, 07:37:44 PM »
Next time I'm in Russia, I'll ask the keeper about the third Gerard Armstrong. Which will be tomorrow! The goal in Spain one was a Johnnies man and is not related to saffron legend Kevin 'Army' Armstrong.

There is also young Gerard, so that is at least four.

You're certainly not redeeming yourself with the younger McCaff.

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #187 on: May 19, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »
Indeed I am not. I still see that hurling ball flying towards me and him laughing as he busts out of the Antrim tracksuit, which he still wears with pride.
In fairness, he has never substituted me unlike thon Russian goalkeeper. Both have played me in nets. Still can't get over Yash's decision to do that.

Oh aye, the Gerry Armstrong (not the goal in Spain one) who is related to the Russian goalkeeper has a son named Gerard. So, that's at least 5.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 11:49:10 PM by hardstation »

Norf Tyrone

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2008, 01:15:02 PM »
Jane McGrath wife of Aussie fast bowler Glenn has died. Aged just 42.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Lecale2

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2008, 01:15:28 PM »
RIP

ziggysego

• View Profile
    • My Way Access
« Reply #190 on: June 23, 2008, 08:50:30 AM »
George Carlin. Edgy American comedian and star in movies such a Bill & Ted, Dogma and Jersey Girl. RIP.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2008, 09:46:20 PM »
Man who killed Billy Wright dies 
The man who shot loyalist leader Billy Wright dead 11 years ago in the Maze prison has died.

Christopher 'Crip' McWilliams led the INLA gang that shot Wright as he sat in a prison van inside the walls of the jail in December 1997.

McWilliams, who was in his 40s and from west Belfast, died from cancer in hospital on Saturday morning.

A public inquiry into Wright's killing, following allegations of security force collusion in the murder, is ongoing.

Lecale2

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2008, 11:58:22 AM »
What a way to go! Poor man. RIP.

Man died 'urinating on live rail'

Aman was killed at a busy railway station when he reportedly urinated on the track.

British Transport Police confirmed the 41-year-old was electrocuted at Vauxhall station in south London last week.

He walked on to the track from Platform 1, a BTP spokesman said.

According to reports, the Polish tourist went to find somewhere discreet to go to the toilet but his urine splashed on to the live rail.

He was said to be a married teacher who was visiting the UK to improve his English.

A spokesman for London Ambulance Service said a fast response unit and two ambulances were sent to the station but the man died at the scene.

According to Network Rail, more than 60 people are killed on railway lines each year.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2008, 10:26:02 PM »
Old Sophia from the Golden Girls

The Real Laoislad

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2008, 10:27:54 PM »
Old Sophia from the Golden Girls

She was actually younger than some of the other cast members like Dorathy and Blanch but was done up to look old a la Mrs Doyle on Father Ted
You'll Never Walk Alone.