Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: BennyCake on August 02, 2020, 02:23:10 PM
Just seeing that Film Director Alan Parker died on Friday, aged 76.

Most notably he directed The Commitments and Angela's Ashes.
And one of my favourite films, Mississippi Burning

J70

Quote from: Rois on August 02, 2020, 04:47:36 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 02, 2020, 02:23:10 PM
Just seeing that Film Director Alan Parker died on Friday, aged 76.

Most notably he directed The Commitments and Angela's Ashes.
And one of my favourite films, Mississippi Burning

Great movie. Gene Hackman was such a powerful actor, and the rest of the cast was excellent compared to the reality.

Unfortunately the story played a bit too strongly on the white saviour theme.

Taylor

gallsman

A genuine titan of our recent history. RIP.

Rossfan

A titan indeed.
R.I.P John.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sid waddell

Quote from: gallsman on August 03, 2020, 09:29:48 AM
A genuine titan of our recent history. RIP.
A strong case to be made that there has never been a greater one in our history, ever.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Derry and Ireland's Finest.

Rois

What a legacy this man leaves behind. 
Ireland's hero.

6th sam

Quote from: Rois on August 03, 2020, 09:52:32 AM
Ireland's hero.

An absolute Giant.
Uniquely at the time, he was prepared to sacrifice party political success for the greater good. Many in the SDLP opposed his approach , understandably anxious about party political suicide, but he knew the ultimate prize for all, was worth the risk.

BennyHarp

Quote from: 6th sam on August 03, 2020, 10:00:39 AM
Quote from: Rois on August 03, 2020, 09:52:32 AM
Ireland's hero.

An absolute Giant.
Uniquely at the time, he was prepared to sacrifice party political success for the greater good. Many in the SDLP opposed his approach , understandably anxious about party political suicide, but he knew the ultimate prize for all, was worth the risk.

I was about to post something similar. A great man who was only in politics for the benefit of others. How the world could be doing with people of his quality now. RIP
That was never a square ball!!

Rois

Not that he would care, such was the measure of the man, but it feels so unjust that he won't be able to have the massive celebration of his life that he deserves. 
I hope someone creative can come up with some means befitting of John Hume for those of us who want to to pay our respects.

johnnycool

RIP John.

Came across as a real genuine person and when he left the stage was sadly missed.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on August 03, 2020, 10:19:47 AM
Not that he would care, such was the measure of the man, but it feels so unjust that he won't be able to have the massive celebration of his life that he deserves. 
I hope someone creative can come up with some means befitting of John Hume for those of us who want to to pay our respects.

And in light of recent funerals I really hope that there's no more ammunition given to people to jump on the bandwagon!

As for the man himself, powerful figure and his peaceful approach can't be bettered in my opinion .

A proper service for everyone when it's safe to have larger gatherings would be best
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

In my opinion John Hume was a great man and leader and I dont use those terms lightly. Its so sad he himself had suffered to the extent that he didn't know or remember his own incredible achievements. RIP.

ardtole

He sacrificed his own party for the peace process. Always more interested in the greater good, I cant think of another politician who you could also attribute them comments too. I read a quote of his earlier this morning; "politics is the alternative to war." Says it all really.