Author Topic: Death Notices  (Read 613732 times)

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
Re: Death Notices
« Reply #5865 on: April 18, 2018, 11:04:14 PM »
Longford, Cavan and Monaghan seems to be the cowboy music heartland.

You forgot Tyrone.
Fermanagh is hardly much different..

Laythrum is great cowboys and heroes country too.

I like country music. It's all I ever heard on the radio growing up.
Mid and North-West Radio have a lot to answer for!

Not a massive fan of country music but he was well liked in these parts so it's sad to hear of his passing. RIP.
It's all Paul Claffey's fault.
Paul must play a Joe Dolan song every single day still.

So does Sean Coyle on Radio Ulster.

Asal Mor

• View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: April 18, 2018, 11:14:19 PM »
Big Tom's death and the reaction to it are like evidence of a tribe that has often been ignored. There was an article in the Irish Times about 400,000 people who emigrated between 51 and 61 before secondary education. Ireland didnt want them. But the country and Irish bands played to them all over England. I used to meet a few ould lads from that generation at a homeless shelter in London. They would always be talking about home. I can imagine the buzz when the musicians rolled up.
Were you working there seafoid? Not being nosey but it sounds genuinely interesting.
Did you see that movie "Kings" with Colm Meaney that’s partly done in Irish and based on the play "Kings of Kilburn Road"? Bleak but very powerful and moving.
The Jimmy McCarthy song "Missing You" made famous by Christy Moore would have been about that tribe as well I suppose. McAlpine's fusiliers too. They were probably remembered more in song than in any other way.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: April 18, 2018, 11:21:18 PM »
What happened Dale Winton? Was he ill?

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: April 18, 2018, 11:21:34 PM »
Saw the Kings of the Kilburn High Road a couple of weeks ago. Local dramatic group put it on. Very moving show.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:40:10 AM by Dougal Maguire »
Careful now

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: April 19, 2018, 06:23:40 AM »
Big Tom's death and the reaction to it are like evidence of a tribe that has often been ignored. There was an article in the Irish Times about 400,000 people who emigrated between 51 and 61 before secondary education. Ireland didnt want them. But the country and Irish bands played to them all over England. I used to meet a few ould lads from that generation at a homeless shelter in London. They would always be talking about home. I can imagine the buzz when the musicians rolled up.
Were you working there seafoid? Not being nosey but it sounds genuinely interesting.
Did you see that movie "Kings" with Colm Meaney that’s partly done in Irish and based on the play "Kings of Kilburn Road"? Bleak but very powerful and moving.
The Jimmy McCarthy song "Missing You" made famous by Christy Moore would have been about that tribe as well I suppose. McAlpine's fusiliers too. They were probably remembered more in song than in any other way.
I was just volunteering once a week , Asal.
There was a drop -in centre where the people would be given tea and sandwiches donated by the City sandwich shops at closing time.

I met one lovely man from Williamstown in East Galway who was alcoholic and homeless so he could never go home. We used to talk about football. One day he said that someone had told him that there were houses now in Willamstown from the church as far as the crossroads. He hadn't been back for 40 years. 

The people were either Irish/Scottish rural alcoholics or English working class. There was a huge difference between the 2 groups. The English were conditioned to believe they were useless and deserved nothing better.  One fella told me proudly that his family was scum. The Irish people would never say that.

Did you ever read the book " I could read the sky" ? There was also a film with a soundtrack by Iarla O lionaird.   It is one of my favourite books.

https://youtu.be/r7bfQjEpoLQ
This song us from the film.
The line ""I am in England now" is haunting.
Jaysus would you shtop

Asal Mor

• View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: April 19, 2018, 07:02:02 AM »
I'll check out the book seafoid. I'd love to see the movie too but from looking it up there it won't be an easy one to get hold of.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: April 19, 2018, 07:21:34 AM »
I'll check out the book seafoid. I'd love to see the movie too but from looking it up there it won't be an easy one to get hold of.

"What I could do.

I could mend nets. Thatch a roof. Build stairs. Make a basket from reeds. Splint the leg of a cow. Cut turf. Build a wall. Go three rounds with Joe in the ring Da put up in the barn. I could dance sets. Read the sky. Make a barrel for mackerel. Mend roads. Make a boat. Stuff a saddle. Put a wheel on a cart. Strike a deal. Make a field. Work the swarth turner, the float and the thresher. I could read the sea. Shoot straight. Make a shoe. Shear sheep. Remember poems. Set potatoes. Plough and harrow. Read the wind. Tend bees. Bind wyndes. Make a coffin. Take a drink. I could frighten you with stories. I knew the song to sing to a cow when milking. I could play twenty-seven tunes on my accordion."

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:25:47 AM by seafoid »
Jaysus would you shtop

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: April 19, 2018, 09:25:26 AM »
Longford, Cavan and Monaghan seems to be the cowboy music heartland.

You forgot Tyrone.
Fermanagh is hardly much different..

Laythrum is great cowboys and heroes country too.

I like country music. It's all I ever heard on the radio growing up.
Mid and North-West Radio have a lot to answer for!

Not a massive fan of country music but he was well liked in these parts so it's sad to hear of his passing. RIP.
It's all Paul Claffey's fault.
Paul must play a Joe Dolan song every single day still.

So does Sean Coyle on Radio Ulster.
no harm
Joe Dolan was a superstar
Check out the comments on this video on YouTube and all the languages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkLC2mj5wvE

EG
Sandra van Opbergen3 years ago

I get happy always from him..........

chanteau evelyne1 year ago

j'adore  Joe Dolan   merci

Jaysus would you shtop

brokencrossbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: April 19, 2018, 09:32:05 AM »

"What I could do.

I could mend nets. Thatch a roof. Build stairs. Make a basket from reeds. Splint the leg of a cow. Cut turf. Build a wall. Go three rounds with Joe in the ring Da put up in the barn. I could dance sets. Read the sky. Make a barrel for mackerel. Mend roads. Make a boat. Stuff a saddle. Put a wheel on a cart. Strike a deal. Make a field. Work the swarth turner, the float and the thresher. I could read the sea. Shoot straight. Make a shoe. Shear sheep. Remember poems. Set potatoes. Plough and harrow. Read the wind. Tend bees. Bind wyndes. Make a coffin. Take a drink. I could frighten you with stories. I knew the song to sing to a cow when milking. I could play twenty-seven tunes on my accordion."

That’s very moving. I can see wearied eyes looking out from under the cardboard box as he says that. In his minds eye he can see the Atlantic battering the rocks around the Connemara coast. A swooping seagull and a distant boat. And then It drifts back to the rain and dank ness and darkness and loneliness of the street. Given the increasing numbers that are homeless you wonder how many have these moments of reflection.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: April 19, 2018, 09:40:56 AM »

"What I could do.

That’s very moving. I can see wearied eyes looking out from under the cardboard box as he says that. In his minds eye he can see the Atlantic battering the rocks around the Connemara coast. A swooping seagull and a distant boat. And then It drifts back to the rain and dank ness and darkness and loneliness of the street. Given the increasing numbers that are homeless you wonder how many have these moments of reflection.

A lot I'd say even if they can't always express it in words

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/timothy-o-grady-on-creating-i-could-read-the-sky-a-book-for-bealtaine-1.2216668

What I couldn’t do.

Eat a meal lacking potatoes. Trust banks. Wear a watch. Ask a woman to go for a walk. Work with drains or with objects smaller than a nail. Drive a motor car. Eat tomatoes. Remember the routes of buses. Wear a collar in comfort. Win at cards. Acknowledge the Queen. Abide loud voices. Perform the manners of greeting and leaving. Save money. Take pleasure in work carried out in a factory. Drink coffee. Look into a wound. Follow cricket. Understand the speech of a man from West Kerry. Wear boots or shoes made from rubber. Best PJ in an argument. Speak with men wearing collars. Stay afloat in water. Understand their jokes. Face the dentist. Kill a Sunday. Stop remembering.

Jaysus would you shtop

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: April 19, 2018, 09:51:11 AM »
Erin Popovich, wife of legendary San Antonio Spurs coach Greg Popovich.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

Asal Mor

• View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: April 19, 2018, 10:36:52 AM »

"What I could do.

A lot I'd say even if they can't always express it in words

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/timothy-o-grady-on-creating-i-could-read-the-sky-a-book-for-bealtaine-1.2216668

What I couldn’t do.

Eat a meal lacking potatoes. Trust banks. Wear a watch. Ask a woman to go for a walk. Work with drains or with objects smaller than a nail. Drive a motor car. Eat tomatoes. Remember the routes of buses. Wear a collar in comfort. Win at cards. Acknowledge the Queen. Abide loud voices. Perform the manners of greeting and leaving. Save money. Take pleasure in work carried out in a factory. Drink coffee. Look into a wound. Follow cricket. Understand the speech of a man from West Kerry. Wear boots or shoes made from rubber. Best PJ in an argument. Speak with men wearing collars. Stay afloat in water. Understand their jokes. Face the dentist. Kill a Sunday. Stop remembering.
Really moving and powerful imagery.

Gabriel_Hurl

• View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: April 20, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »
DJ and Producer - Avicii, 28

Artist, DJ and producer Tim Bergling, a.k.a. Avicii, died this afternoon in Oman, according to a statement from his rep. He was 28.

“It is with profound sorrow that we announce the loss of Tim Bergling, also known as Avicii,” the statement reads. “He was found dead in Muscat, Oman this Friday afternoon local time, April 20th.  The family is devastated and we ask everyone to please respect their need for privacy in this difficult time. No further statements will be given.”

He had retired from live performing in 2016, citing health reasons. He had suffered from health problems for several years, including acute pancreatitis, in part due to excessive drinking. He had his gallbladder and appendix removed in 2014.

He posted the following statement on his website last year:

“WE ALL REACH A POINT IN OUR LIVES AND CAREERS WHERE WE UNDERSTAND WHAT MATTERS THE MOST TO US.

For me it’s creating music. That is what I live for, what I feel I was born to do.

Last year I quit performing live, and many of you thought that was it. But the end of live never meant the end of Avicii or my music. Instead, I went back to the place where it all made sense – the studio.

The next stage will be all about my love of making music to you guys. It is the beginning of something new.

Hope you´ll enjoy it as much as I do.”

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: April 20, 2018, 07:04:17 PM »
DJ and Producer - Avicii, 28

Artist, DJ and producer Tim Bergling, a.k.a. Avicii, died this afternoon in Oman, according to a statement from his rep. He was 28.

“It is with profound sorrow that we announce the loss of Tim Bergling, also known as Avicii,” the statement reads. “He was found dead in Muscat, Oman this Friday afternoon local time, April 20th.  The family is devastated and we ask everyone to please respect their need for privacy in this difficult time. No further statements will be given.”

He had retired from live performing in 2016, citing health reasons. He had suffered from health problems for several years, including acute pancreatitis, in part due to excessive drinking. He had his gallbladder and appendix removed in 2014.

He posted the following statement on his website last year:

“WE ALL REACH A POINT IN OUR LIVES AND CAREERS WHERE WE UNDERSTAND WHAT MATTERS THE MOST TO US.

For me it’s creating music. That is what I live for, what I feel I was born to do.

Last year I quit performing live, and many of you thought that was it. But the end of live never meant the end of Avicii or my music. Instead, I went back to the place where it all made sense – the studio.

The next stage will be all about my love of making music to you guys. It is the beginning of something new.

Hope you´ll enjoy it as much as I do.”
RIP
Really shocking news
Jaysus would you shtop