Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebar

Stop the jokes on this thread and the problems sorted.

longballin

Quote from: Boycey on December 16, 2017, 05:35:26 PM
I'm genuinely interested here longballin, is mine and the others who think it's harmless craic opinion less valid than yours? It's a forum not everyone is going to agree with you..

The original post that irks you seems to be the one about Nvotna, unlike you i just see a lame joke about tennis.. I have (current) experience surrounding cancer too so I'm not making light of cancer in any way.

What do you think of the examples Tony has brought up? The only difference I see is that they are funny. I think I made a quip on here a couple of weeks back about Malcolm Young being on a Highway to Hell, I certainly wasn't being offensive AC/DC were my favourite band of all time..

why is it necessary to make jokes on the death thread?

T Fearon

Death is a part of the natural order of human life,just like birth.Now I would never mock the actual death of anyone or take any pleasure in it,but harmless jokes about a part of their life that made them famous are quite innocuous and inoffensive.

longballin

Quote from: T Fearon on December 16, 2017, 09:34:04 PM
Death is a part of the natural order of human life,just like birth.Now I would never mock the actual death of anyone or take any pleasure in it,but harmless jokes about a part of their life that made them famous are quite innocuous and inoffensive.

so again I ask you why do you never do it when it is a local person? you want examples?

Boycey

Quote from: longballin on December 16, 2017, 09:27:37 PM
I'm genuinely interested here longballin, is mine and the others who think it's harmless craic opinion less valid than yours? It's a forum not everyone is going to agree with you..

The original post that irks you seems to be the one about Nvotna, unlike you i just see a lame joke about tennis.. I have (current) experience surrounding cancer too so I'm not making light of cancer in any way.

What do you think of the examples Tony has brought up? The only difference I see is that they are funny. I think I made a quip on here a couple of weeks back about Malcolm Young being on a Highway to Hell, I certainly wasn't being offensive AC/DC were my favourite band of all time..

Why is it forbidden to make jokes on a death thread? I was composing a post that would have turned out much like Tony's, death is part of life so to speak..

longballin

Quote from: Boycey on December 16, 2017, 09:45:11 PM

Why is it forbidden to make jokes on a death thread? I was composing a post that would have turned out much like Tony's, death is part of life so to speak..

so is it ok to joke about Grenfell tower deaths? tragedy part of life after all...

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on December 16, 2017, 09:56:02 PM
Quote from: Boycey on December 16, 2017, 09:45:11 PM

so is it ok to joke about Grenfell tower deaths? tragedy part of life after all...

Did he make a joke about Grenfell? An innocuous joke in the context of what made a famous person famous, after they die, on a forum where relatives are never likely to read is different to cracking jokes about a local person with no generally known celebrity aspect to their life or a tragedy like Grenfell.

People clearly have different senses of humour and lines which they deem crossable or not. I don't find Fearons jokes funny but I don't find them offensive. I'm sure the deceased are eternally grateful for the stand you guys are making but some of the comments made in reply are quite offensive and are as inappropriate in the context of  a thread that was opened to honour those that have passed away, as any joke made by Fearon.
That was never a square ball!!

Boycey

It's never ok to mock something like Grenfell but I don't think that's what we're discussing here..

Over the Bar

Dr Heinz Wolff.... Tony no jokes about beans, 57 varieties,  H&W, Wolves, eggs, Nazis etc... otherwise you'll be flamed with righteous indignation not seen since a wannabee delegate made the mistake of ordering an Irish Whiskey at the DUP annual conference.   ::) ::) ::)

longballin

Quote from: Boycey on December 16, 2017, 10:11:58 PM
It's never ok to mock something like Grenfell but I don't think that's what we're discussing here..

I think it's when is it appropriate to use a death to make a joke?... and is never a joke about anyone local say a famous politician, sports person etc which would suggest is only ok when unlikely anyone close to the person will see it, which suggests it is inappropriate. So maybe is appropriate for some deaths and not others?

Over the Bar

People clearly have different senses of humour and lines which they deem crossable or not. I don't find Fearons jokes funny but I don't find them offensive. I'm sure the deceased are eternally grateful for the stand you guys are making but some of the comments made in reply are quite offensive and are as inappropriate in the context of  a thread that was opened to honour those that have passed away, as any joke made by Fearon.

If this is a thread to deservedly honour some who have passed away then change the name.  As it stands it seems to be a simply a factual "death" thread which reports every death of interest including those who deserve little or no respect e.g. Ian Brady

BennyHarp

Quote from: Over the Bar on December 16, 2017, 10:36:18 PM

If this is a thread to deservedly honour some who have passed away then change the name.  As it stands it seems to be a simply a factual "death" thread which reports every death of interest including those who deserve little or no respect e.g. Ian Brady

Fair enough. Maybe it is a factual death thread. But i used to find it an interesting source of information and often this thread would be the first time I heard that someone had died. Lately, we have to wade through pages of personal abuse to find the part of the thread that it was originally set up for.
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

Before we all take ourselves too seriously read the first page of this thread. Armagh4samagain launched these 350 odd pages of mournfulness...

longballin

His first post - "Use this thread to pay respects to people you no who have died. They could be former players or just neighbours or people from TV."

bennydorano

Maybe you should just stick to the Irish News death column.