Author Topic: The IRISH RUGBY thread  (Read 667546 times)

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
Re: The IRISH RUGBY thread
« Reply #8100 on: August 14, 2019, 05:22:40 PM »
Fully expected John Cooney to be on the plane I think he's a better player than Luke McGrath and can cover Out half. . . seems strange!!

For me heíd be slightly behind McGrath ability wise but theres not much between them. I thought having that kicking ability would have edged him ahead of McGrath in the final squad. In saying that if Murray gets injured the gap between him and the rest is huge.

Given how poorly McGrath played when the pressure was on against Saracens I found it strange he's still so high up the pecking order.

I'm no expert I suppose and maybe they're seeing something we're not day in day out but the range of positions Cooney can play and his kicking would have him ahead of McGrath and possibly Marmion as well.

square_ball

• View Profile
« Reply #8101 on: August 14, 2019, 05:28:13 PM »
McGrath was generally very good for Leinster last season though. That kick in the final was an error but hard to know if he was playing to orders. He has played in much more pressurised games than Cooney (and Marmion) so maybe that tipped it in his favour. And also I find that as Cooney is a kicker it masks a lot of things. If he comes off the pitch scoring 20 points people assume heís had a great game. I suppose thatís why Schmidt is paid the big bucks to make those decisions.

dublin7

• View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: August 15, 2019, 10:38:41 AM »
McGrath was generally very good for Leinster last season though. That kick in the final was an error but hard to know if he was playing to orders. He has played in much more pressurised games than Cooney (and Marmion) so maybe that tipped it in his favour. And also I find that as Cooney is a kicker it masks a lot of things. If he comes off the pitch scoring 20 points people assume heís had a great game. I suppose thatís why Schmidt is paid the big bucks to make those decisions.

Not kicking to touch against Saracens was a joint decision. It's quite common for Leinster to do this. The follwing against Munster the same situation arose and they didn't kick to touch either and this time they won a penalty which they converted.

I'm also surprised Cooney was dropped as he can also cover No. 10, especially with Carbery now due to miss all the warm up games and training

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8103 on: August 16, 2019, 08:03:10 AM »
McGrath also kicked the ball away against the All Blacks last November with 90 seconds on the clock. Near causing heart failure in the Aviva.

I think he's prone to regular brain farts and hope he doesn't make the 31. Can we speed up the development of Craig Casey please. Like a young Aaron Smith.

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile