Author Topic: The Cricket thread  (Read 138313 times)

Stall the Bailer

• View Profile
Re: The Cricket thread
« Reply #2010 on: July 17, 2019, 05:49:55 PM »
His mother is English AFAIK, maybe he sees himself as part English and singing the anthem is not an issue for him.

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: July 17, 2019, 06:27:02 PM »
Do the English make a big deal about the Cricket World Cup or is it still all about the Ashes? The World Cup started in 1975 but the Ashes has been going since about 1877 when the first test match was played.

It strikes me as similar to how the Six Nations (started in 1883) seems to be the competition with all the history, whereas the Rugby World Cup (started in 1987) doesn't seem to set the place alight as much. Just my impression.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: July 17, 2019, 09:22:25 PM »
The Ashes is still huge but overall Test cricket is on the wane.

michaelg

• View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: July 17, 2019, 09:39:57 PM »
Test cricket still popular in England but watched by 3 men and a dog elsewhere - Even in India where they are cricket mad.

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: July 17, 2019, 09:44:17 PM »
Any sign of T20 cricket catching on outside of India? I hear they have it in England now. I wouldn't be opposed to going to a game myself if I was in the area. Sounds more like baseball in getting a game played in a single evening.

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: July 17, 2019, 09:51:22 PM »
Test cricket still popular in England but watched by 3 men and a dog elsewhere - Even in India where they are cricket mad.

The Aussies and the Saffers still have an interest too...

michaelg

• View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: July 17, 2019, 10:00:33 PM »

The Aussies and the Saffers still have an interest too...
Australia fair enough, although seems to be on the slide in South Africa too - During last series England played there, most of crowd were English

Boycey

• View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: July 17, 2019, 10:33:57 PM »
Any sign of T20 cricket catching on outside of India? I hear they have it in England now. I wouldn't be opposed to going to a game myself if I was in the area. Sounds more like baseball in getting a game played in a single evening.

T20 originated in England... They are reinventing it as we speak calling it The 100 as in 100 balls per side compared to the current 120  ::). They actually market the T20 game quite well in England, I attended Middlesex and Surrey last summer at Lord's on a Friday evening and there were over 20,000 there. A lot of work groups and lads and girls nights out types at it, music blaring, light show quite a sociable evening even if you weren't a cricket fan. Obviously they can't compete in scale with the IPL as India have 1.3billion people :o

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: July 18, 2019, 08:50:38 AM »

T20 originated in England... They are reinventing it as we speak calling it The 100 as in 100 balls per side compared to the current 120  ::). They actually market the T20 game quite well in England, I attended Middlesex and Surrey last summer at Lord's on a Friday evening and there were over 20,000 there. A lot of work groups and lads and girls nights out types at it, music blaring, light show quite a sociable evening even if you weren't a cricket fan. Obviously they can't compete in scale with the IPL as India have 1.3billion people :o

I've gone to two T20 finals days in Edgbaston and it's a fantastic day out. Two semi finals and a final on the day. Great entertainment.

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: July 18, 2019, 01:02:50 PM »
T20 season about to get going again, big spread in the I newspaper today.