Planning a weding

Started by southdown, September 04, 2013, 12:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

I am planning to get married around 12 months from now.  Got engaged last weekend but I literally have no idea what to do now.

All tips on how to save costs, who to use for what etc will be really appreciated.

I am from South Down but the likely venues will probably be in Co Louth (Ballymac, Carrickdale, 4 Seasons in Carlingford, Canal Court Newry all possibilities).

Can anyone in the area suggest a band?

Thanks!!

ziggysego

Congratulations on your engagement southdown.

I've been to a couple of weddings where The Boogiemen were playing. A very good band for a wedding.
Testing Accessibility

laoislad

Don't do it. Get out while you still can.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Milltown Row2

Best way to save money? Don't get married

It's grand for a few years then all down hill and then you're out a fortune. Good luck
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

illdecide

Def don't do it...i don't care about the money side of things but your wife turns into a hateful nasty boot the longer your married and eventually she'll turn out just like her mother just like you were advised it would but thought it never could happen...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rois

I'm getting married next July.  We're going to France, to Chamonix in the Alps and my uncle is coming out to do the mass, all booked in with the French parish.  Then we're having an informal bbq back in Belfast - kinda challenging convention with all this but I've been to loads of "Irish" weddings now so we're doing it a bit differently.

I won't need wedding cars, have a few ideas on photography (ask people how often they look at their wedding album - I am determined not to spend a fortune on photography), having one bridesmaid, and I'm even letting the groom away with not wearing a tie!

We had a Club Tyrone do there a few weeks ago and had a band called Hype at it - just two lads but they were absolutely brilliant. 

J70

Let your bride to be handle the details. Help choose a place and venue. Beyond that, if she wants your input, she will ask for it!

pullhard

Quote from: J70 on September 04, 2013, 01:08:03 PM
Let your bride to be handle the details. Help choose a place and venue. Beyond that, if she wants your input, she will ask for it!

Thats what i have noticed. Dont get invovled in any of the bitchness that will occur between bride, mum/sisters and bridemaids. If you do, god help you and be on your ladies side regardless.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: pullhard on September 04, 2013, 01:15:04 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 04, 2013, 01:08:03 PM

That's what i have noticed. Dont get invovled in any of the bitchness that will occur between bride, mum/sisters and bridemaids. If you do, god help you and be on your ladies side regardless.

+infinity!!

I picked the car for the grooms (only after she seen it) I picked the honeymoon, was in charge of getting the flowers for the males, nearly fcuked that up and needed to be in the church before she got there, nearly fcuked that up after wee headed out to pub on the night before. I've only ever picked the type of TV for the house, beyond that you'll not make any decisions the rest of your married life
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Billys Boots

This seemed like the place for this ...  :P

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

1. Learn to spell 'wedding'; ('weding' is bad enough, but if you stick in another 'e' instead of the 'd' on the invitations you mightn't live to see your stag.)
2. Go abroad like Rois said. (Been to 5 weddings (sp.) abroad now and all were great and each different from the next. Remember, people will make their own way and stay for a good fews nights so it is like being on holiday will all the important people there with you. (Bring two livers though).
3. Decide early with herself how you would like the presents: none at all, money or wedding list are all ok but let people know a few months in advance. If you are going abroad this is especially important.
4. If you get married in certain countries you can get a divorce quite handily. (NB! do not discuss this one with herself!!!)
5. Do get a pre-nuptial agreement, only call it something else. I said it was a Department of Foreign Affairs form to release me to get married abroad, which was fine, until I really had to contact the Department of Foreign Affairs to get married abroad.
6. If you are getting married abroad contact the Department of Foreign Affairs.
MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

On this getting married abroad malarky, do you need to register the wedding here when you come back?

Gabriel_Hurl

Getting married here next June - in a brewery no less  ;D

muppet

Quote from: johnneycool on September 04, 2013, 02:08:06 PM
On this getting married abroad malarky, do you need to register the wedding here when you come back?

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=274

It is more to ensure people are eligible to get married (i.e. are not currently married).
MWWSI 2017