Kildare manager 2016

Started by Donnellys Hollow, September 03, 2013, 10:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Throw ball on September 05, 2013, 08:41:41 PM
For all the talk of who do the players think they are, give the power back to the clubs etc. is it not a fact that some people in the GAA are in it for their own ambition. Just as there are many players who want to play for their county so there are many officials who want to be seen to be important in their club, their county, the GAA etc.. The players IMO have as much right to express their view as the officials who wield the power. Never mind the club being the heart of the GAA the real heart is the volunteers who give up their time to coach youngsters, who look after the pitch etc.. I hope when making their decision the officials took account of all the views in their club. For me the GAA is totally interdependent. As much as the club is its soul the county team is its heart. The ambition of people to see there sons, nephews, daughters, friends play for their county encourages them to support the club. The big days in Croke Park encourage people to get theirs involved. At the other end the club provides the grounding for these players, supports the community etc.. As much as the County Board had the right to make their decision so the players had the right to show the community spirit in the clubs was also in the county squad. Whatever the final outcome I hope Kildare maintain or improve their position on the inter county scene.

That's a good post.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Shamrock Shore

I see the Kildare boys are using the auld "L'Oréal method" of winning over hearts and minds

Jinxy

It'll take a motivator of Banty-esque proportions to pick up the pieces for next year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: Itchy on September 05, 2013, 06:43:53 PM
The county board didn't realise it was about what manager was best for the players it seems. Like me they were probably thinking what was best for Kildare.

That is debateable.
Was it a case of "Let's show this so and so who's boss around here"??
The opinions of County players are somewhat relevant on the issue of who their Manager may be.
As for McG - like Conor Counihan he stayed at least one of not two years too long.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bingo

I'd be interested to see how the delegates decided upon the vote - did they just roll up and vote or was there a club executive meeting to discuss this and the delegate went with the clubs decision. Surprised if this wasn't the manner of the majority of votes.

Was there much hassle with fixtures and ccounty players been pulled from the clubs in Kildare in recent years? Has this put the clubs in a difficult position where the ordinary club player is suffering.

Also when the players (of any county) release a statement, I'd prefer if it was signed, individually by each member of the panel who agreed it. I know in Monaghan something similar happened a few years back, regards the above mentioned, and it was signed by the Panel but it became cleared afterwards that in fact several of the panel didn't sign it and didn't agree with it. It came from the more dominant members who would be loyal and close to the manager. Although it does seem in this case alot of the panel disagreed with the manner of the dismissal, the word according to twitter.

Finally, some of the stuff in the statement is laughable. Are Kildare serioulsy a top 8 county on a consistant basis? In the last 2/3 years did anyone actually fancy them to win anything? As an outsider, McGeeney has taken them on but has it levelled out under him. They talk of the professionalism he took to Kildare, maybe 6 years ago this wasn't the norm but the game has rapidly changed in those 6 years at Mgt level and you can be sure there are few counties with resources like Kildare that this professional setup isn't now a given and the very least that is expected from county mgt setups.

StephenC

Quote from: Rossfan on September 06, 2013, 10:49:01 AM
Quote from: Itchy on September 05, 2013, 06:43:53 PM
The county board didn't realise it was about what manager was best for the players it seems. Like me they were probably thinking what was best for Kildare.

That is debateable.
Was it a case of "Let's show this so and so who's boss around here"??
The opinions of County players are somewhat relevant on the issue of who their Manager may be.
As for McG - like Conor Counihan he stayed at least one of not two years too long.

Doubt it. They had plenty of chances to get rid of him before

orangeman

Some you are going to get your wish granted - Mc geeney could be heading back.

Some will not be happy. But that's the way the cookie crumbles. Money talks.

Colm Keys– 06 September 2013

A five-man executive committee set up to find a successor to Kieran McGeeney are likely to take soundings in the coming days over the prospect of a second vote to reinstate McGeeney as Kildare manager.

The committee was put in place shortly after McGeeney's removal to find a successor but a players' statement, issued by the Gaelic Players Association yesterday, calling for McGeeney's reinstatement looks set to be the first item on the agenda.

There were indications last night that some delegates and clubs may be willing to soften their position towards the former Armagh captain and back any fresh proposal for one more year.

It is estimated that 11 of the county's 16 senior clubs voted against him on Tuesday night while four members of the executive also went against him.

But it's unlikely that McGeeney would allow himself to be drawn back into any potential County Board vote again.

In their statement, the players hit out at their "dysfunctional County Board lacking in leadership and unity" that "let us down" and called for McGeeney to be restored.

"Our ultimate wish is that last Tuesday night's decision is overturned and that negotiations are immediately opened with Kieran McGeeney to reinstate him and his management team for 2014," they said.

They also outlined that they would bring forward proposals for their preferred framework for future managerial appointments.

However, the players did not indicate what action they would be prepared to take if their wishes were not acceded to, though potential strike action is understood not to be part of their thinking.

There are also suggestions that patrons of Club Kildare, the supporters club, have threatened to withdraw financial support on the back of McGeeney's removal.

The chairman of the Supporters Club spoke strongly in McGeeney's favour on Tuesday night.

fearglasmor

Jebus, I ve never seen so much fuss about a manager who took 6 years to go backways.
Wouldn't it be great if everyone got that level of support.

Players supporting their manager is one thing but demanding the right to decide who he should be is another.

In how many team sports do the players get to dictate who the team manager is. Seems wrongheaded to me.

muppet

Quote from: fearglasmor on September 06, 2013, 01:54:03 PM
Jebus, I ve never seen so much fuss about a manager who took 6 years to go backways.
Wouldn't it be great if everyone got that level of support.

Players supporting their manager is one thing but demanding the right to decide who he should be is another.

In how many team sports do the players get to dictate who the team manager is. Seems wrongheaded to me.

I always underestimate the esteem in which the various County Boards are held.
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Maybe not all counties are the same, but in Armagh if the county executive really wanted a result from the delgates it would be delivered. I would think by the result in Kildare the executive wanted Geezer out hence the vote. If Geezer now stays that same executive could make life really unpleasant. I think Geezer should say thanks to all in Kildare who appreciate what he has achieved and wish them good luck for the future.

AZOffaly

It is interesting that the development officer and the coaching officer voted in favour of him staying on. If there was a mood that the senior team was bleeding the county dry, you'd imagine the people trying to keep the development squads and games development going would be against that situation, so maybe there;s a lot of truth in what Dinny and Donnellys Hollow are saying about McGeeney's work at that level too.

DuffleKing

Anyone who thinks McGeeney would contemplate returning to kildare at this stage obviously dont knoe much about the man

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 06, 2013, 03:17:27 PM
Maybe not all counties are the same, but in Armagh if the county executive really wanted a result from the delgates it would be delivered. I would think by the result in Kildare the executive wanted Geezer out hence the vote. If Geezer now stays that same executive could make life really unpleasant. I think Geezer should say thanks to all in Kildare who appreciate what he has achieved and wish them good luck for the future.

8 county board officers including the chairman, vice-chairman and PRO voted for the motion, 4 county board officers voted against.

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 06, 2013, 03:29:25 PM
Anyone who thinks McGeeney would contemplate returning to kildare at this stage obviously dont knoe much about the man

Pat Mangan has discussed it with him and he is supposed to be willing to return "under the right circumstances."

I don't think it will happen myself and could see it making a bad situation even worse.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Syferus

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 06, 2013, 03:33:18 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on September 06, 2013, 03:17:27 PM

8 county board officers including the chairman, vice-chairman and PRO voted for the motion, 4 county board officers voted against.

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 06, 2013, 03:29:25 PM

Pat Mangan has discussed it with him and he is supposed to be willing to return "under the right circumstances."

I don't think it will happen myself and could see it making a bad situation even worse.

McGeeney returning is by far the lesser off two evils.

The talk about it being time for Kildare being ready to move on has been made to look very wrong-headed after this week's events. The smart thing would have been to leave well enough alone. Some officials in every county have no sense of the bigger picture outside their little club or world. You could call this train wreck arrogance but it smacks more of incompetence.

Bingo

From my experience, the amount of agenda's, politics, underhand tactics, backstabbing, etc that goes on in and around the GAA at club and county level is off the scale. Can be totally disheartening at times and alot of it is over personal greviances and old scores been settled.

One person will vote and plot to suit themselves rather than for the bigger picture or for the good of game in that club/country. I've seen it and been asked to do so.

I'd not be surprised that some votes would have went against the county board purely to go against them rather than to remove McGeeney.