Canavan gone

Started by FermGael, September 02, 2013, 09:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

FromAFar

I have seen most of Fermanaghs league games and all of their championship games this year. I feel while Canavan has undoubtedly improved the teams, structure and numerous individuals he did have weaknesses i.e. tactical decision making.

That coupled with the fact that he was rumoured to be on a very decent financial package as well as the likely retirement of 4/5 players probably meant it was a convenient seperation for both parties.

Fermanagh need to pay attention to Cavan & Tyrones example and invest in youth.

Fermanaghandsam

Canavan took this team from mid table Div 4 to 3rd in Div 3 , so I say job well done. We struggled against Cavan, but did beat a soon to be Div 1 team. Fermanagh didn't seem to learn from the first day against Cavan, and Cavan did learn, however when it comes to the crunch, Cavan have better players. Canavan did seem to lack a bit of tactical awareness in some games, however his professionalism etc.. added greatly to the Fermanagh set up.

One major problem within the county is the youth setup. We really don't have any sort of decent youth policy. We have hardly won a game at minor and U-21's for years. We need to take a look at our neighbours in Cavan and use that as a blueprint.

I would have loved Canavan to stay as I have no confidence in the county board to select another manager. I fear we will go for the super cheap option or some mate of the selection panel.

Personally I would like us to either go with Peter McGinnity or a young up and coming manager from outside the county, however I suspect we will have an uninspired appointment, a raft of retirements and a return to Div 4, but i hope I am proved wrong.

FermGael

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on September 04, 2013, 09:18:11 AM

Personally I would like us to either go with Peter McGinnity or a young up and coming manager from outside the county, however I suspect we will have an uninspired appointment, a raft of retirements and a return to Div 4, but i hope I am proved wrong.

Lets be honest,  whether its this year or next, those retirements are coming.
McGrath, Owens, McCluskey, Bogue, Gallagher, Breen, Sherry to name but a few.
Whenever those retirements happen, Fermanagh will struggle.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermGael

The other elephant in the room is Finance.
If the stories are to be believed, then we were spending serious money this year on our senor team management.  With Sean no longer available, that sort of spend is no longer realistic for Fermanagh.
Club Eirne has lost some of there donors for a variety of reasons and the county board's idea of fund raising seems to be a levy that all clubs must pay.
Our county board is top heavy with old men who have been around for years.
There is no young blood coming through there.

The youth set up is a complete joke.
How we can go from having players that compete at the highest level in Ulster colleges football and then within 3 months get a stuffing at minor level?
Our U-21 record is a disgrace.
And we might yet see the three biggest towns in Fermanagh ( Enniskillen, Lisnaskea and Irvinestown) in division 2 next season.
There is a lot of work to be done

Fermanaghandsam

Finance is an issue as I assume it is with alot of county boards, but its the lack of young blood in the county board that is the real issue. Fermanagh County boards idea of fun raising is a draw or a club levy, they need to think outside the box if they want peoples hard earned money. Thankfully the players had the boxing this year which was different and raised alot of money I believe. The Kinawley club seem to be great at this and always have something new and exciting to raise money.

As said previously the youth setup is basically not there at all, the new development officer is a huge appointment that has to be made.

Zulu

A county like Fermanagh has to put most of it's eggs into underage football. Small counties need to make the most of their resources and the only way to that is to focus on the kids coming through and make sure you turn them into the best footballers their talent and dedication allows.

LeoMc

Quote from: FermGael on September 04, 2013, 09:59:52 AM
The other elephant in the room is Finance.
If the stories are to be believed, then we were spending serious money this year on our senor team management.  With Sean no longer available, that sort of spend is no longer realistic for Fermanagh.
Club Eirne has lost some of there donors for a variety of reasons and the county board's idea of fund raising seems to be a levy that all clubs must pay.
Our county board is top heavy with old men who have been around for years.
There is no young blood coming through there.

The youth set up is a complete joke.
How we can go from having players that compete at the highest level in Ulster colleges football and then within 3 months get a stuffing at minor level?
Our U-21 record is a disgrace.
And we might yet see the three biggest towns in Fermanagh ( Enniskillen, Lisnaskea and Irvinestown) in division 2 next season.
There is a lot of work to be done

The last time Fermanagh cut corners there they went from O'Rourke to O'Neill.

Fermanaghandsam

Quote from: LeoMc on September 04, 2013, 11:17:25 AM
The last time Fermanagh cut corners there they went from O'Rourke to O'Neill.

And that is the biggest fear, it will no doubt be the same men picking the manager as back then as well, because the county board hasn't changed in god knows how long.

Itchy

Fermanagh need to get competitive at underage, its a slow process but without it ye will go no where. Throwing money at senior managers will not help. I'd personally love to see ye come good but it looks like at 6-8 yr project if its done right.

FermGael

Gaelic Life is linking McStay with the job today

Walter Cronc

Quote from: FermGael on September 05, 2013, 12:18:44 PM
Gaelic Life is linking McStay with the job today

What would Fermanagh fans think of Mc Stay?? I would guess he would require big money. Was Canavan on big money himself?

rodney trotter

Finance is an issue with Fermanagh and then being linked with Kevin McStay. Makes a lot of sense.

yellowcard

As stated by some previous posters Fermanagh need to concentrate its resources on development squads and underage teams. Canavan done a decent job with the players available to him and unless they get a golden generatin coming along together Fermanagh are always going to struggle to compete for provincial success.

How many clubs are there in Fermanagh?

FermGael

20 clubs and at the minute a few of them would be struggling with numbers