Silly neutral fans at games

Started by Orchardman, September 02, 2013, 02:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

I was there at croke park yesterday and it was brilliant, gaa at it's best. I had been telling everyone all year that Kerry weren't done and these guys had one more in them. Was delighted they showed their class again yesterday but just didn't get over the line in the end.

Anyway there was this guy behind me wearing his mayo jersey, in his thirties id say. Firstly why would anyone bother wearing a mayo jersey when their not playing is beyond me, especially at that age but no harm done I suppose, each to their own.
His main crime was when the game was starting and the crowd were outroaring each other with 'C mon kerry', C'mon Dublin', he then had to shout ' C mon MAYO!

Really, why would anyone bother doing that???
This isn't mayo bashing, their are clowns everywhere.

Come to think of it, he was wearing a baseball hat, so maybe it was james horan

johnneycool

Maybe he'd got his semi-finals mixed up and bought for the wrong weekend?

haveaharp

Quote from: Orchardman on September 02, 2013, 02:47:42 PM
I was there at croke park yesterday and it was brilliant, gaa at it's best. I had been telling everyone all year that Kerry weren't done and these guys had one more in them. Was delighted they showed their class again yesterday but just didn't get over the line in the end.

Anyway there was this guy behind me wearing his mayo jersey, in his thirties id say. Firstly why would anyone bother wearing a mayo jersey when their not playing is beyond me, especially at that age but no harm done I suppose, each to their own.
His main crime was when the game was starting and the crowd were outroaring each other with 'C mon kerry', C'mon Dublin', he then had to shout ' C mon MAYO!

you are easy annoyed

Tubberman

Ballinaman, was there a short-tempered Armagh man sitting in front of you?
It might have been hard to identify him though, he was not wearing an Armagh jersey and indeed, did not even speak in an Armagh accent because they weren't playing. ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Orchardman

Quote from: Tubberman on September 02, 2013, 02:52:02 PM
Ballinaman, was there a short-tempered Armagh man sitting in front of you?
It might have been hard to identify him though, he was not wearing an Armagh jersey and indeed, did not even speak in an Armagh accent because they weren't playing. ;)

Yesterday was about Kerry about Dublin. Mayo weren't playing, just because they are waiting in the final for the winners, who cares? It was a game yesterday between the kingpins of gaelic football

Orchardman

Quote from: haveaharp on September 02, 2013, 02:50:41 PM

you are easy annoyed

Yes I am sometimes. I had a great day actually despite that. Should anyone over 27 be running about in a jersey unless they are at football training?

ballinaman

Haha.....I was indeed wearing my Mayo polo shirt in the Lower Davin. Don't think I was in the vincinityof a grumpy Armagh man though, wish I had thought of shouting C'mon Mayo at that stage!  ;D

ballinaman

Quote from: Orchardman on September 02, 2013, 02:57:10 PM
Quote from: haveaharp on September 02, 2013, 02:50:41 PM

you are easy annoyed

Yes I am sometimes. I had a great day actually despite that. Should anyone over 27 be running about in a jersey unless they are at football training?
Phew, not 27 until October, I'll be allowed to wear the jersey on final day so!

Orchardman

Quote from: ballinaman on September 02, 2013, 02:58:44 PM
Haha.....I was indeed wearing my Mayo polo shirt in the Lower Davin. Don't think I was in the vincinityof a grumpy Armagh man though, wish I had thought of shouting C'mon Mayo at that stage!  ;D

Polo shirt is fine, and as you didn't shout C'mon mayo you havn't done anything wrong!

Tubberman

Quote from: Orchardman on September 02, 2013, 03:01:20 PM

Polo shirt is fine, and as you didn't shout C'mon mayo you havn't done anything wrong!

Intriguing... so wearing county polo shirts to games you're not involved in is fine, but wearing a replica jersey is not? 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Orchardman

Quote from: Tubberman on September 02, 2013, 03:03:18 PM

Intriguing... so wearing county polo shirts to games you're not involved in is fine, but wearing a replica jersey is not?

Not quite, the rule applies to games in general, including your own games, as polo shirts would be more suitable for men of a certain vintage. Maybe 27 was just a number I used, when do people grow up, 25? 35? never?

My main point was more that he was shouting rubbish anyway, that's what we need to get to the bottom of

ballinaman

Quote from: Orchardman on September 02, 2013, 03:10:29 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 02, 2013, 03:03:18 PM

Not quite, the rule applies to games in general, including your own games, as polo shirts would be more suitable for men of a certain vintage. Maybe 27 was just a number I used, when do people grow up, 25? 35? never?

My main point was more that he was shouting rubbish anyway, that's what we need to get to the bottom of
Was he at it for the whole match or just the once? There was an awful lot of lads yesterday wearing jerseys, you'd have your work cut out orchardman telling them off!

deiseach

This Mayo chap is small potatoes. We all congratulate ourselves on how there is no segregation at matches unlike the beasts that frequent soccer, and I guess it's nice in the abstract. But the reality of it is a complete pain in the hole. You're sitting down a couple of minutes before throw-in, thanking your lucky stars that you're surrounded by your own kind thanks to tickets bought through the club, then along comes the biggest baluba God ever put into shoe leather. Just in case you didn't know who was on the opposition's team, he'll shout "come on" followed by their name every time one of his team touches the ball. He'll conduct an eyeballing contest with someone from your own county sitting several rows way for 70 minutes, a habit that seems to require him to swing elbows into your personal space at the same time. His memory for any time your county bottled it spectacularly is encyclopedic and he isn't afraid to show off this talent (NB this is obviously a bigger problem when you are from Waterford than, say, Kerry). About the only positive thing that can be said about the experience is that if you lose,you also  win because you don't have to cope with proximity to him should his team lose.

On reflection, I'd like to apologise to everyone I ever sat beside at a match.

Crete Boom

Quote from: deiseach on September 02, 2013, 03:34:27 PM
This Mayo chap is small potatoes. We all congratulate ourselves on how there is no segregation at matches unlike the beasts that frequent soccer, and I guess it's nice in the abstract. But the reality of it is a complete pain in the hole. You're sitting down a couple of minutes before throw-in, thanking your lucky stars that you're surrounded by your own kind thanks to tickets bought through the club, then along comes the biggest baluba God ever put into shoe leather. Just in case you didn't know who was on the opposition's team, he'll shout "come on" followed by their name every time one of his team touches the ball. He'll conduct an eyeballing contest with someone from your own county sitting several rows way for 70 minutes, a habit that seems to require him to swing elbows into your personal space at the same time. His memory for any time your county bottled it spectacularly is encyclopedic and he isn't afraid to show off this talent (NB this is obviously a bigger problem when you are from Waterford than, say, Kerry). About the only positive thing that can be said about the experience is that if you lose,you also  win because you don't have to cope with proximity to him should his team lose.

On reflection, I'd like to apologise to everyone I ever sat beside at a match.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

macdanger2

Give the lad a break, he probably went to the jacks after the minor match last week, feel asleep (having left coppers with some nurse from Omagh the night before) and only woke up at the roar for Kerry's first goal