Antrim yaps- under 21 hurling final

Started by Orchardman, August 29, 2013, 06:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 30, 2013, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: deiseach on August 30, 2013, 12:08:18 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 30, 2013, 11:56:31 AM
Thurles was chosen 3 years ago to host U21 All Ireland hurling finals on a permanent basis. Best ground for Hurling anyway.

It is?

Apart from Croke Park obviously.. Gaelic Grounds is impressive too. Nowlan Park, Pairc Ui Caoimih.
Thurles would probably those though all the same.

Your own Counties stadium would be well off, Fraher Field.

Dungarvan has staged three All-Ireland finals in its time, that's as many as Thurles. Truly a venue of legends. Anyway, it seems we're talking about impressiveness here, not what is the best ground for hurling. What about the best ground for the Under-21 final? The football final isn't played in the same venue each year, why must that be the case in hurling?

Oh, and Páirc Uí Chaomih is, how can I put this politely, a fuck1ng dump.

rodney trotter

Not sure tbh. Maybe Liam O Neill views Thurles as the home of Hurling. Thurles is cleary a better arena then Dungarven. Oh and btw. Thurles is the second largest pitch in the County.

The newly developed Pairc Ui Chaoimih should look alright.

theskull1

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 29, 2013, 09:40:03 PM
How hard were Wexford training if they couldn't beat a team that weren't getting good numbers at training. It's the result that matters at the end of the day.

Needs to be said that most of these lads have been knocking their pans in training for their clubs (just my opinion but more clubs in Antrim a preparing their teams better) ahead of the Senior Championships, so they all were going to be in good enough condition and have been hurling plenty. Something to be learned from this in regards to preparing county teams IMO
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Orchardman

Quote from: INDIANA on August 29, 2013, 06:42:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 29, 2013, 06:32:55 PM
I agree with your main point but how the fcuk do Wexford deserve it more? We fcukin beat them!!!

I agree. totally.

lets not stray from the main point. I just meant wexford and clare would have gave us a proper final, wexford are one of the hurling counties I would like to see back at the top table. But yes, I assume antrim deserved their win last weekend as i didn't see the game, but the scoreboard doesn't lie. I think they will get stuffed by clare, but I will be delighted for them as an ulster team to win the All Ireland.

At the end of the day, antrim are calling out for fair play and respect. I find this disgusting from a board who have showed the competition no respect by having no manager til last month, their defeats by  a total of 50 points over the last 2 years show their preparation

rodney trotter

Quote from: deiseach on August 30, 2013, 12:29:21 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 30, 2013, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: deiseach on August 30, 2013, 12:08:18 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 30, 2013, 11:56:31 AM
Thurles was chosen 3 years ago to host U21 All Ireland hurling finals on a permanent basis. Best ground for Hurling anyway.

It is?

Your own Counties stadium would be well off, Fraher Field.

Dungarvan has staged three All-Ireland finals in its time, that's as many as Thurles. Truly a venue of legends. Anyway, it seems we're talking about impressiveness here, not what is the best ground for hurling. What about the best ground for the Under-21 final? The football final isn't played in the same venue each year, why must that be the case in hurling?

Oh, and Páirc Uí Chaomih is, how can I put this politely, a fuck1ng dump.

Another reason, is, there is fewer teams at top level Hurling. And those that are at the top level are from South Leinster or Munster. Dublin would be the exception & Galway in the Whest. Thurles is a suitable venue for those teams. Obviously not Antrim but it was a huge upset that Antrim made it to the All Ireland final.

Orior

What is the date and time of the match?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

CD

The biggest disappointment for Antrim is the manner in which the board and management have addressed the issue. The decision to play at Thurles has been made and they just have to get on with it  - even if we all agree it would make far more logistical sense to play in the midlands. But they should have made their objections through the correct channels with one spokesperson representing their views. As it is, the whining has gone on all week and turned many fans against them. As an Antrim resident, I know how hard it is to get young men out to play Gaelic Games on a regular basis and I would have liked the Antrim board to have had a more mature approach than 'We're not playing then!'. Both hurling and football squads have been blighted over the years by internal squabbling and by players storming off and refusing to play when things aren't going their way. Hardly surprising when this is the attitude of management.
Just my thoughts!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Jeepers Creepers

I think most people are in agreement in their view of the Antrim county board. However don't let this get in the way of the panel of lads going to Hurl on the 14 th. the buzz about the county is tremendous at the moment. Thurles here we come.......

CD

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on August 31, 2013, 10:56:26 AM
I think most people are in agreement in their view of the Antrim county board. However don't let this get in the way of the panel of lads going to Hurl on the 14 th. the buzz about the county is tremendous at the moment. Thurles here we come.......

It's a shame that the fantastic achievement of the u21 hurlers has been somewhat overshadowed by this! Just about every newsfeed I see about it begins with the fixture issue rather than celebrating the achievement
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Canalman

Of all teams to get in the final Clare are a county who would tend not to hammer a team when a hammering was possible.
For what it is worth I think Clare will beat Antrim by whatever scoreline they want and now think that a hiding is what Antrim will get as a result of all this hoohah.

Cannnot believe this is still rumbling on.

johnneycool

Quote from: Orchardman on August 30, 2013, 06:37:03 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 29, 2013, 06:42:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 29, 2013, 06:32:55 PM
I agree with your main point but how the fcuk do Wexford deserve it more? We fcukin beat them!!!

I agree. totally.

lets not stray from the main point. I just meant wexford and clare would have gave us a proper final, wexford are one of the hurling counties I would like to see back at the top table. But yes, I assume antrim deserved their win last weekend as i didn't see the game, but the scoreboard doesn't lie. I think they will get stuffed by clare, but I will be delighted for them as an ulster team to win the All Ireland.

At the end of the day, antrim are calling out for fair play and respect. I find this disgusting from a board who have showed the competition no respect by having no manager til last month, their defeats by  a total of 50 points over the last 2 years show their preparation

Where's the logic in that?

Antrim beat Wexford well, and lead most of the second half by 6 or 7 points, Wexford got a late goal to take the bad look off it.

Clare are a very good outfit at this level, handed Tipp and Galway a thumping on the way, so if Antrim do take a hiding there's no shame in it as Wexford would possibly and logically take as big or not bigger hiding.

How the county board have whined about the venue is just plan stupid at this stage.

neilthemac

Ok.
lets say it was Limerick vs Derry in a football under 21 final.
Where would the game be fixed?
Longford probably, which is almost half way.
Thurles doesn't make sense when that logic is used for other games.

Then again, other sports fix the venues for finals months in advance - rugby, soccer etc and the fans travel irrespective of the venue

highorlow

If Antrim really put their minds to it and reduce the numbers at training this week to 1 or 2 players I would give them a good chance agin Clare.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

johnneycool

Quote from: highorlow on September 02, 2013, 03:50:00 PM
If Antrim really put their minds to it and reduce the numbers at training this week to 1 or 2 players I would give them a good chance agin Clare.

Thats right, as the Antrim lads are all sitting on their holes every night of the week as there is no GAA outside of the intercounty stuff that we see on TV.