2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on September 30, 2013, 03:18:32 PM
I thought Austin O'Malley was going to be the aggressive, direct full forward you've been crying out for at one stage.

Well if it wasn't for Mayo you would have no craic in and around Croke park at all Jinxy ;).

Well apart from the odd dvision 3 final or the yearly pasting by the Dubs! ;D

Any more land that needs to be farmed properly going up the way? ;D

rrhf

ross4life

Quote from: rrhf on September 30, 2013, 05:13:00 PM
Bring back the mort
The last time the Mort played against Dublin (April 2012) he scored 0-8 breaking all time Mayo scoring record but then again would he deliver on All Ireland final day?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: ballinaman on September 30, 2013, 03:46:54 PM
I thought Austin O'Malley was going to be the aggressive, direct full forward you've been crying out for at one stage.
Serious potential there, remember him destroying Dublin in a league match in Castlebar by himself. Beat them 12 points to 2 or something.

Regarding potential injection of freshness into forward line : You'd have to be looking at Kilcoyne (Knockmore), Evan Regan (Ballina), Conor O'Shea (younger O'Shea brother) and Darren Coen (Hollymount) and Kirby (Castlebar).

Am I forgetting anyone lads?

Mayo might as well bring back The Mort if people are taking about bringing back Austie. I was at that game in Castlebar too. It was played in 2004. There's a fair bit of water under the bridge since.

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on September 30, 2013, 06:50:19 PM
Bring back the mort
The last time the Mort played against Dublin (April 2012) he scored 0-8 breaking all time Mayo scoring record but then again would he deliver on All Ireland final day?

Horan would need to take his talents to South Beach before Mort had even a remote chance of featuring again. Realistically, bedding in a player like Adam Gallagher (or Darren Coen if he shows something he didn't this year) is the best route for Mayo changing up their attack next season.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on September 30, 2013, 07:12:26 PM
Quote from: ross4life on September 30, 2013, 06:50:19 PM
Bring back the mort

Horan would need to take his talents to South Beach before Mort had even a remote chance of featuring again. Realistically, bedding in a player like Adam Gallagher (or Darren Coen if he shows something he didn't this year) is the best route for Mayo changing up their attack next season.

Adam Gallagher is more of midfielder than a forward i would have thought & good free taker. Coen held a lot of promise at minor level i'm not sure has he stepped up thus far he played against us at U21 level a few times and didn't overly impress. Evan Regan looks the best bet for me but must be some reason why Horan dropped him off the panel? hes the son of former Ros Gaels player Noel Regan and a 1st cousin to the Regans in the square in Ros town so if hes not wanted by them hes more than welcome to Roscommon  ;)

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jinxy

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 30, 2013, 04:16:36 PM

Well if it wasn't for Mayo you would have no craic in and around Croke park at all Jinxy ;).

Well apart from the odd dvision 3 final or the yearly pasting by the Dubs! ;D

Any more land that needs to be farmed properly going up the way? ;D

I was being serious.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

maigheo

anybody read the hatchet job the Connacht Telegraph done on James Horan.It would make you cry in despair at the morons that inhabit our county.Wouldnt blame Horan if he said fu-k it and resigned with all of the abuse he is getting.Edwin Mcgreal writes a very good article in the Mayo News today analyzing why Mayo lost the all ireland and basically it boils down to that we were not good enough on the day,with not being able to create scoring opportunities after the first 25 min. and far too many turnovers in good attacking positions.

Drummerboy

I'm amazed at some of the criticism being dished out to Moran. He has turned Mayo into one of the best teams in the country. They lost an All-Ireland by a point, to a team that had only been beaten once in a competitive game all season. Surely its very harsh. Ok they didn't reach the previous heights in the final but they went very close to taking it home. Shame.

Tubberman

Quote from: maigheo on October 02, 2013, 12:00:52 AM
anybody read the hatchet job the Connacht Telegraph done on James Horan.It would make you cry in despair at the morons that inhabit our county.Wouldnt blame Horan if he said f*-k it and resigned with all of the abuse he is getting.Edwin Mcgreal writes a very good article in the Mayo News today analyzing why Mayo lost the all ireland and basically it boils down to that we were not good enough on the day,with not being able to create scoring opportunities after the first 25 min. and far too many turnovers in good attacking positions.

I don't think anybody takes The Connaught Telegraph as a serious newspaper. Every single time I've read one of their articles, it is full of basic mistakes - players names, years of previous matches, scorelines, scorers, basic grammar.
That paper (and probably same writer) wrote a heavily critical piece about Horan last year as well, it seems they have some axe to grind.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rosnarun

Quote from: Tubberman on October 02, 2013, 12:40:50 AM
anybody read the hatchet job the Connacht Telegraph done on James Horan.It would make you cry in despair at the morons that inhabit our county.Wouldnt blame Horan if he said f*-k it and resigned with all of the abuse he is getting.Edwin Mcgreal writes a very good article in the Mayo News today analyzing why Mayo lost the all ireland and basically it boils down to that we were not good enough on the day,with not being able to create scoring opportunities after the first 25 min. and far too many turnovers in good attacking positions.

I don't think anybody takes The Connaught Telegraph as a serious newspaper. Every single time I've read one of their articles, it is full of basic mistakes - players names, years of previous matches, scorelines, scorers, basic grammar.
That paper (and probably same writer) wrote a heavily critical piece about Horan last year as well, it seems they have some axe to grind.
i think a lot of Castlebar are grinding Axes this weather .
If they finally win the county final the noise will be very loud from our capital
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

highorlow

QuoteI'm amazed at some of the criticism being dished out to Moran. He has turned Mayo into one of the best teams in the country. They lost an All-Ireland by a point, to a team that had only been beaten once in a competitive game all season. Surely its very harsh. Ok they didn't reach the previous heights in the final but they went very close to taking it home. Shame.

I'm amazed that your amazed. This year's objective was to win the AI and anything short of that is failure. Failure leads to criticism. Horan will expect this, it comes with the territory and it would be abnormal if the whole team including management don't self criticize.

At the end of the day Horan can't put the ball over the bar so for me most of the criticism boils down to the players. The freezer to conroy sub would have been seen as a master stroke if conroy ended up clicking and scoring 3 or 4 points from play and we ended up winning. I'm sure Horan regrets not taking off a few lads earlier also.

Nothing wrong with balanced criticism where it's rightly due. By the way I haven't read the paper article nor do I intend to.       
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

From the Bunker

Quote from: rosnarun on October 02, 2013, 12:38:36 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 02, 2013, 12:40:50 AM

i think a lot of Castlebar are grinding Axes this weather .
If they finally win the county final the noise will be very loud from our capital

I have not bought the Connacht Telegraph in just over 4 years. Found it to be one of the laziest papers around. Compared to the Mayo News sports coverage is basic and lacking. Seen the article you talk about at work. Has a Mayo Manager ever got a a roasting like that before? Anyway won't be renewing my subscription any time soon.

galwayman

Have to say I am genuinely surprised that there are people calling for Horan's head.
We'll take him if ye like  ;)