2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on September 17, 2013, 09:39:22 AM
Quote from: muppet on September 17, 2013, 12:08:45 AM
Billy Morgan managed Cork from 1986, lost two finals in 87 and 88 before the breakthrough.

Pat O'Neill managed the Dubs in 1995 and it was his first year.

Both prove opposite points.

Pat O Neill actually took over in 1993 after the Donegal fiasco in 1992. There was actually a small heave to get rid of o Neill after Down beat us narrowly in 194 but the DCB held firm.

Apologies (and to Johnnybegood), the memory got confused from him resigning the first year he won it, rather than he won it the first year.
MWWSI 2017

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: moysider on September 16, 2013, 10:58:12 PM

But here s an interesting stat. James Horan has the best win% of any county manager since 2001, according to our friend Terry Reilly in The Examiner.  Alright, Jim Gavin not included because they took managers with a minimum 10 championship matches.
I know, I know, London and the state of Connacht football ::) but multiple AI winners were beaten. Only defeats to Kerry and Donegal ruin a perfect record!

Am I grasping at statistics here?!

Jim Gavin managed U21 winning teams in 2010 and 2012 and a National League in 2013.

Not a bad record.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

From the Bunker

This stream is the most deadest stream I've ever seen coming up to a AI Final. Both sets of supporters seem to be slightly terrified of the result on the weekend. Mayo fans probably a bit more (and for good historical reason).

There seems to be little (nothing) coming out of both camps. Both keeping to themselves and keeping it very private. This is the Journalists nightmare. In these cases quotes from a few weeks back from players will be recycled. The COC issue is even dead.

From my own perspective, I have to say Horan has done well since we qualified with Little Comment or rublbish cliches or no comment. The players have gone unnoticed and the fans are wondering how to deal with this limbo they have found themselves in this year.

Many go on about the Dubs and their (supposed) we are better than ye culchies stereotype. But I have found in general to be likable crowd. In Fairness despite having an AI from '11 and a League from '13. There is hardly any snobbery that you may get from counties from a different province.

Anyway here's to a good fair hard game.

From the Bunker

Declan

Such a hard game to call. Would like to think Dublin will win by a point or two but there's a definite feel of destiny around Mayo this year.At the back of my mind there's a feeling that Dublin will convert their chances and put up a big score but then again if they've continually squandered goal chances this season logic says they won't suddenly convert a higher ratio of them on Sunday. Dublin's "weakest" line it could be argued in the semi was the HF line and this was Mayo's strongest I felt so will this tip the balance in the Westerners favour?? Whilst Dublin mightn't win primary possession against the O'Sheas I'd take McAuley and O'Sullivan against anyone over 70 minutes.

Anyway I think it'll be a close run thing and I wouldn't begrudge Mayo their long awaited win though I hope they have to wait a bit longer.

By the way if Mayo do win will the supporters invade the pitch??? Hope not but I get the sense from talking to a few lads that it'll be mighty hard to stop them 

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 17, 2013, 01:27:14 PM
This stream is the most deadest stream I've ever seen coming up to a AI Final. Both sets of supporters seem to be slightly terrified of the result on the weekend. Mayo fans probably a bit more (and for good historical reason).

There seems to be little (nothing) coming out of both camps. Both keeping to themselves and keeping it very private. This is the Journalists nightmare. In these cases quotes from a few weeks back from players will be recycled. The COC issue is even dead.

From my own perspective, I have to say Horan has done well since we qualified with Little Comment or rublbish cliches or no comment. The players have gone unnoticed and the fans are wondering how to deal with this limbo they have found themselves in this year.

Many go on about the Dubs and their (supposed) we are better than ye culchies stereotype. But I have found in general to be likable. In Fairness despite having an AI from '11 and a League from '13. There is hardly any snobbery that you may get from counties from a different province.

Anyway here's to a good fair hard game.

I see one of our recently ex- players in the indo today..........had a quick read.......claims to be happier outside the team than inside......good riddance

ballinaman

Quote from: Declan on September 17, 2013, 01:57:54 PM
Hope not but I get the sense from talking to a few lads that it'll be mighty hard to stop them
Why do you hope not? I'll probably be hooked up to a defibrillator by the final whistle....

From the Bunker

Such a hard game to call. Would like to think Dublin will win by a point or two but there's a definite feel of destiny around Mayo this year.At the back of my mind there's a feeling that Dublin will convert their chances and put up a big score but then again if they've continually squandered goal chances this season logic says they won't suddenly convert a higher ratio of them on Sunday. Dublin's "weakest" line it could be argued in the semi was the HF line and this was Mayo's strongest I felt so will this tip the balance in the Westerners favour?? Whilst Dublin mightn't win primary possession against the O'Sheas I'd take McAuley and O'Sullivan against anyone over 70 minutes.

Anyway I think it'll be a close run thing and I wouldn't begrudge Mayo their long awaited win though I hope they have to wait a bit longer.

By the way if Mayo do win will the supporters invade the pitch??? Hope not but I get the sense from talking to a few lads that it'll be mighty hard to stop them

It will be a serious issue for Croke park authorities. And one I'd say they have though long and hard about. Numbers and enthusiasm are the key factors. Who were the last set of fans to invade? Armagh 2002?

ballinaman

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 17, 2013, 02:24:11 PM

It will be a serious issue for Croke park authorities. And one I'd say they have though long and hard about. Numbers and enthusiasm are the key factors. Who were the last set of fans to invade? Armagh 2002?
Kerry 09...the famous Plan B.

Canalman

Some of the Mayo people at work here (four ) were actually discussing that earlier today. Whether the pitch will be invaded or not after the game?????? Most of them are bandwagoners to be fair but not one of them is even contemplating a Mayo loss on Sunday.

Odd dynamic for the game on Sunday, a team without an AI  win in generations trying to beat a team over whom they have a hex.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Canalman on September 17, 2013, 02:56:12 PM
Some of the Mayo people at work here (four ) were actually discussing that earlier today. Whether the pitch will be invaded or not after the game?????? Most of them are bandwagoners to be fair but not one of them is even contemplating a Mayo loss on Sunday.

Odd dynamic for the game on Sunday, a team without an AI  win in generations trying to beat a team over whom they have a hex.

Being honest Canalman there is no over confidence here in Mayo. Even if it were a semi-final it would be the same. We realise Dublin are a top notch side and earlier in the year we knew if we got to this stage we would be more than likely playing them. So of course there is the old worries of old failings, but curse or no curse Dublin still have to beat us. It won't just happen!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Canalman on September 17, 2013, 02:56:12 PM

Personally Mayo not winning Sam since 1951 or Dublin not beating Mayo in Championship football since 1985 will have zero influence on Sunday's senior A.I. final.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

From the Bunker

Was looking at Blogs and forums from the AI final in 2004. Scary stuff, allot of posters were picking Mayo to win. Saying these lads were different to other Mayo teams. Anybody that picked Kerry, said it wold only be by a few points. Sound familiar?

bluenosebandit

dublin by 2.
cluxton to top score with 3 frees and 2 45's.