2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Don Corleone on September 02, 2013, 11:29:57 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 02, 2013, 10:55:09 PM
COC being injured is just such one of those things. Whatever about dropping Andy for Conroy were COC there now  there is an open space for Andy, Varley and Doherty to fight over. I'd expect even an 80% fit Andy would be the best option of the three for an AI final. On top of his vision he remains the leader of the Mayo team and that will play in his favour too.

Yours in spirit,
Syf

I've had my people run some analysis Syf. The portents for the Rhubarbs aren't good to be fair. Them Kerry hoors came with what I'd call 3 marquee forwards, the 2 Sullivans and the Gooch. Cooper destroyed Dublin for 35 minutes in a manner that Mayo cannot. Kerry's midfield, while workmanlike for 25/30 mins faded. Bastick supplied power and McAuley rampaged forward. Will the O'Shea's provide the running power..Doubtful. The Dublin half-back line were destroyed early doors by crafty Kerry foot-passing, the guile of Cooper and flitting cameos of Galvin. Mayo don't possess a Cooper. Worse again: Should Moran start as captain @ 13....No man has captained a winning team from 13 in football....There's always a 1st. of course.

Yours in useless trivia,

Don Corleone.

Don , Andy if he starts will wear 15 ( he only wore 13 in the Connacht final) as he has done in the last two games with Conroy/Doherty/Varley vying for the 13 shirt that O' Connor has filled so well over the last 1 and a bit games (he wore 11 against Galway and is where his future lies for Mayo imho.)
Only a slight over site on your part but in your line of business this could be the difference between life or death! ;D

Don Corleone

I'm new here and only learning the quote/ropes so forgive me for being slow.

To address the bench issue I'd look at one thing: Will Mayo expend men to save/win or will Dublin go win/annilhate.

Dublin's bench are trusted tight game warriors (McManamon, Bastick, Rock, Cullen and McMahon amongst others). Mayo's bench looks, as per previous comments bereft, of any known battler/game-changer, bar Barry Moran (dubious at best).

Please explain...
Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on September 02, 2013, 11:50:34 PM
Quote from: Don Corleone on September 02, 2013, 11:29:57 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 02, 2013, 10:55:09 PM
COC being injured is just such one of those things. Whatever about dropping Andy for Conroy were COC there now  there is an open space for Andy, Varley and Doherty to fight over. I'd expect even an 80% fit Andy would be the best option of the three for an AI final. On top of his vision he remains the leader of the Mayo team and that will play in his favour too.

Yours in spirit,
Syf

I've had my people run some analysis Syf. The portents for the Rhubarbs aren't good to be fair. Them Kerry hoors came with what I'd call 3 marquee forwards, the 2 Sullivans and the Gooch. Cooper destroyed Dublin for 35 minutes in a manner that Mayo cannot. Kerry's midfield, while workmanlike for 25/30 mins faded. Bastick supplied power and McAuley rampaged forward. Will the O'Shea's provide the running power..Doubtful. The Dublin half-back line were destroyed early doors by crafty Kerry foot-passing, the guile of Cooper and flitting cameos of Galvin. Mayo don't possess a Cooper. Worse again: Should Moran start as captain @ 13....No man has captained a winning team from 13 in football....There's always a 1st. of course.

Yours in useless trivia,

Don Corleone.

What type of forward would you call James o Donoghue?

Tbh I thought Declan was fairly average yesterday and arguably lost the game for them again v the Dubs.

People that keep mentioning this marquee forwards and that Mayo don't have any, have ye bothered to even watch Mayo and realise how the whole idea of Horans gameplan compensates for this.

Anyone that thinks Mayo are simply going to roll over 04/06 style are in for a right shock.

Just seen your comment re Barry Moran, what are you on about ? He s on the bench for Mayo, you made the point of the Kerry bench being stronger and I disagree starting with my opinion he would be good enough to start for Kerry.

Donaghy, wouldn't start for Mayo minors never mind seniors a total failure yesterday when coming on .

Sheehan has no fitness this year, another hasbeen.

I totally disagree with you about Kerry bench been better than Mayo.

Doc,Varley and Barry Moran all started last years final.

B Moran,  Doherty,  Varley,  Conroy all started in the team that beat Dublin last year! Most be poor players then!

There will be no annihilation from either team. Unless ye decide to give us 3 goals in the first 20 minutes!

bucko

Quote from: Don Corleone on September 02, 2013, 11:58:08 PM

To address the bench issue I'd look at one thing: Will Mayo expend men to save/win or will Dublin go win/annilhate.

Dublin's bench are trusted tight game warriors (McManamon, Bastick, Rock, Cullen and McMahon amongst others). Mayo's bench looks, as per previous comments bereft, of any known battler/game-changer, bar Barry Moran (dubious at best).

Please explain...
I'll give you the other 4 but Bastick? The guy has under performed far more times for Dublin in the past than he has ever delivered. Aiden O'Shea made him look very ordinary in last year's semi final and O'Shea is fitter now than he was last year. Moran was nominated for an All Star last year so obviously he was rated in some quarters.

Don Corleone

A lot will depend upon the team selections and starting formats. Mayo, given their historical failure ratio, will need to start aggressivley, push forward, swamp midfield and press Dublin high up the pitch. Kerry did this to perfection, albeit with an orchestrator yesterday.
Were I James Horan, I'd start Alan Dillon on the 40', with Higgens nominally selected at 12. These are the most suseptical set of backs Dublin have ever have fulminated, not a back among them, all half-forwards.
Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 02, 2013, 11:37:31 PM
The Dublin ethos this year is free flowing football. Where it is a shootout every time. Kerry obliged them yesterday and it worked out. But this Mayo team don't do free flowing, when it comes to the opposition. They just don't.
Dublin won two free flowing games against Mayo in the league this year should those games be totally ignored now?

moysider

Please explain...

I ll try to explain by saying that the only one you listed that I would grab at is the lad in bold. My jury is out on Rock. Y Know sometimes how these players are played reveales a lot about what their own thinks of them. I can t understand the McMenamon thing but other lads you have mentioned I have my doubts. These guys are not starting for a reason - somebody' s reason.
Dean Rock is not fast and is predictable. Grand when opposition are out on their feet but do the homework on him.  A fresh defender yesterday could have prevented his over the shoulder points. Rock is a fine player but should not be killing anybody at this level. St Brigids managed him ffs ;D

Players in Kerry like Donaghy and Sheehan made it look like Kerry had a good bench. They hadn t. They were gone as players.

I could go on more but I m bored and these guys are doing this because they love it and don t need likes of me to delve into what they are doing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 03, 2013, 12:21:51 AM
The Dublin ethos this year is free flowing football. Where it is a shootout every time. Kerry obliged them yesterday and it worked out. But this Mayo team don't do free flowing, when it comes to the opposition. They just don't.
Dublin won two free flowing games against Mayo in the league this year should those games be totally ignored now?

In a word 'YES'! You are not going back to the League. Feck have ye not learned anything?

larryin89

No,I wouldn't ignore it, Dublin have not improved greatly since the league,Mayo have.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2013, 12:28:20 AM

Please explain...

I ll try to explain by saying that the only one you listed that I would grab at is the lad in bold. My jury is out on Rock. Y Know sometimes how these players are played reveales a lot about what their own thinks of them. I can t understand the McMenamon thing but other lads you have mentioned I have my doubts. These guys are not starting for a reason - somebody' s reason.
Dean Rock is not fast and is predictable. Grand when opposition are out on their feet but do the homework on him.  A fresh defender yesterday could have prevented his over the shoulder points. Rock is a fine player but should not be killing anybody at this level. St Brigids managed him ffs ;D

Players in Kerry like Donaghy and Sheehan made it look like Kerry had a good bench. They hadn t. They were gone as players.

I could go on more but I m bored and these guys are doing this because they love it and don t need likes of me to delve into what they are doing.

Rock is a better FF/CF than all but COC in Mayo. Incredible that he doesn't start.

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on September 03, 2013, 12:33:29 AM

No,I wouldn't ignore it, Dublin have not improved greatly since the league,Mayo have.

Also have a look at the Mayo starting line up!

bucko

The first one no, league semi yes. The last 20 mins of the semi was the deadest game of football I've ever been at. No atmosphere, no edge. Mayo played as if they couldn't be bothered and Dublin went through the motions. The first one was a far better affair. Both teams were evenly matched in terms of possession and periods of dominance, Dublin made it count more and coped well with going a man down. From a Mayo supporter's point of view, what frustrated me that Saturday evening was the decision making on the pitch by some players. A fair amount of ball given away under little or no pressure by either aimless ball being hoofed down the pitch from around our 40', or by playing high risk 50/50 passes when easier options where possession would've been retained were on. I think Dublin got 4-5 scores from turnovers like that. While those issues seemed to had disappeared since, they resurfaced in the Tyrone game, Cafferkey, AOS and McLoughlin being the biggest offenders. However it's hard to deny, and I'm basing this on this years championship performances, that once Mayo get their game going and build momentum they are difficult to stop. Dublin are the same, hard to stop once they get motoring. I think this final is going to be far more balanced than some people believe.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 03, 2013, 12:31:11 AM

In a word 'YES'! You are not going back to the League. Feck have ye not learned anything?
Have to go back to the league sure the semi final against Tyrone is the only championship game that Mayo learnt anything about themselves.

Sam2011

Cillian back in contention. Back training again. Big boost.

bucko

Quote from: Sam2011 on September 03, 2013, 12:45:39 AM
Cillian back in contention. Back training again. Big boost.
Rumbling on twitter alright, to be revealed in tomorrow's examiner......