2013 All Ireland Final: Mayo v Dublin

Started by All of a Sludden, August 26, 2013, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucko

Quote from: INDIANA on September 07, 2013, 12:50:57 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 07, 2013, 12:19:52 PM
Quote from: stew on September 06, 2013, 08:12:29 PM
Best of luck to Mayo in the AIF.

If 'best of luck' could win us an All-Ireland, we'd be grand! But it won't, so the 20 players have to fight like demons for the full 70+ mins.

still may not be enough
On what basis???

The one certain thing you can take about Dublin from last Sunday is that they will go full tilt for 70+ mins. However I would safely say our fitness levels are at the same level. Dublin's full back line is questionable while their full forward line is strong, the situation is vice versa for Mayo. If you look at the possible match ups in the middle third (based on semi final line ups) Vaughan v Connolly, Boyle v Kilkenny, Keegan v Flynn, SOS v McAuley, AOS v O'Sullivan, Higgins v McCarthy, Dillon v Brennan and McLoughlin v McCaffrey (likely match ups IMO), there is no standout edge in that area if all players perform. Dublin's FF line will probably produce a better return than ours, but our bigger spread of scoring throughout the team compensates for that. This is a final pairing that is seriously balanced, the odds being given by the bookies at the moment reflect it.

INDIANA

Quote from: bucko on September 07, 2013, 01:12:58 PM

If 'best of luck' could win us an All-Ireland, we'd be grand! But it won't, so the 20 players have to fight like demons for the full 70+ mins.

still may not be enough
On what basis???

The one certain thing you can take about Dublin from last Sunday is that they will go full tilt for 70+ mins. However I would safely say our fitness levels are at the same level. Dublin's full back line is questionable while their full forward line is strong, the situation is vice versa for Mayo. If you look at the possible match ups in the middle third (based on semi final line ups) Vaughan v Connolly, Boyle v Kilkenny, Keegan v Flynn, SOS v McAuley, AOS v O'Sullivan, Higgins v McCarthy, Dillon v Brennan and McLoughlin v McCaffrey (likely match ups IMO), there is no standout edge in that area if all players perform. Dublin's FF line will probably produce a better return than ours, but our bigger spread of scoring throughout the team compensates for that. This is a final pairing that is seriously balanced, the odds being given by the bookies at the moment reflect it.

I don't think you will have a bigger spread of scores in the Final. I think Mayo's lack of a go-to man up front may be the reason why you won't win.
It's hard to remember a team without one winning an all-ireland recently.Maybe Tyrone in 2008.

Asal Mor

Quote from: INDIANA on September 07, 2013, 01:21:04 PM

It's hard to remember a team without one winning an all-ireland recently.Maybe Tyrone in 2008.
Sean Cavanagh?

INDIANA

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 07, 2013, 02:27:28 PM

Sean Cavanagh?

hardly an inside forward?

Crete Boom

still may not be enough
On what basis???

I don't think you will have a bigger spread of scores in the Final. I think Mayo's lack of a go-to man up front may be the reason why you won't win.

I think this is the main challenge because Dublin will be the first team we have faced that won't rely on 2 or 3 forwards to do the main of the scoring like Donegal or Tyrone. Also to compound the fact our potential go to men in Andy Moran , Alan Dillon and Cillian O Connor are suffering from injuries or in Andy's case still not 100 % after a long injury lay off.

On a positive note our half back line , midfield and Alan Freeman have all stepped up to the plate when it mattered so far (Chris Barrett in the semi) but the pressure will be massive due to our past record and Freeman is a confidence player so he might struggle with the occasion along with being marked by Dublin's finest in Rory O' Carroll?

bucko

still may not be enough
On what basis???

A fully fit Cillian O'Connor and an on form Andy Moran would counter that, however as things stand neither are looking likely at the mo. While not fitting the bill tho, Alan Freeman performances so far in the C'ship this year have been very underrated. I feel he's been very consistent, has improved slowly but steadily from match to match and could cause some problems if supplied with the right ball. I thought Conroy when he came on against Tyrone looked seriously sharp. He has the ability to win ball and take on his man, making that count on the scoreboard is the biggest question. However he is in serious contention to start as is Andy in the other corner. If Andy could find some form and if the right supply goes in I think there could be enough in the forward line to pose some questions. Lot of ifs though.

Farrandeelin

Cairde Mhaigh Eo tickets not great I believe! Sections 311/312.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

bucko

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 07, 2013, 11:38:06 PM
If people don't want 'em I'll take 'em!!! ;)

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 08, 2013, 12:06:28 AM
A pair of All-Ireland football final tickets have sold on eBay for €7,100

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-x-Premium-Level-Tickets-GAA-All-Ireland-Football-Final-Dublin-v-Mayo-/261279888916?pt=UK_Tickets_Tickets_LE&hash=item3cd57eb614

Good Luck to anybody who would be stupid and rich enough to pay such an amount. Of course the tout is donating the profits to charity!

Sidney

I expect the "buyer" will receive an "unpaid item" strike in the near future ;D

Wildweasel74

Height of Madness, some people have to sense

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 07, 2013, 11:38:06 PM

314/714 row Z!

Not great is an understatement.

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

moysider