Shamrock Rovers Ultras

Started by 15 Johnny Blues, April 04, 2007, 05:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darbyo

I think you'll find most GAA people regard the money spent on expanding GAA grounds as a waste,one 40,000+ stadium is enough for each province  but the vast majority of the big stadiums we now have were built and paid for solely by the GAA,before govts. had the money to assist sport development,we own them so we can decide what capacity they'll be. This is a largely govt. funded municiple sports ground therefore none of the clubs using it can dictate entirely what the capacity will be, as long as the capacity is big enough for SR needs (which 4500 is IMO) then all clubs have the choice of accepting the largely free stadium as it is or going away and building their own to whatever specifications they see fit.
                                By the way crap grounds are'nt the only reason or even the main reason that people stay away from LOI games. Many GAA and rugby grounds are pretty basic, most Irish people are followers rather than fans of soccer, improved facilities won't generate 10,000 crowds up and down the country IMO.

tayto

shut down sky tv for a decade and the eircom league might get the crowds they used to enjoy in the 50s, 60s and 70s, soccer fans in ireland are now mostly watching the better product from over the water.

a friend of mine is a pats fan and he's none too happy about rovers getting a "free" stadium either, he must be an anti-soccer bigot as well.

dublinfella

Quote from: Lone Shark on April 29, 2007, 03:01:45 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on April 29, 2007, 01:36:32 PM
Quote from: Lone Shark on April 29, 2007, 10:51:32 AM
ye'll have the wherewithal to go where no Eircom league club has gone before - BUILD A STADIUM AND PAY FOR IT YERESELVES!!

thats a ridiculous statement.

scratch the surface and even sensible posters like you ooze snobbery and anti soccer rubbish.

What the hell?

Look, I'll admit that Hoops remarks about how Rovers shouldn't have to make do with 4500 capacity struck a nerve when put alongside the fact that Rovers are contributing absolutely feck all here (yes, I know, tax defaulting non-wage-paying Rovers made a contribution, and it's not a "zero sum game" whatever the hell that means). However while acknowledging that my response was a bit on the blunt side, why is the idea of a club building their own stadium a "ridiculous statement"???? Plus not liking ungrateful moochers hardly counts as snobbery.

I was refering to your comment that no Eircom League club has ever built a stadium themselves. A ridicilous thing to say.

You seem to all be forgetting one salient point here, it was the state that approached Rovers with a deal to complete the stadium. All this talk of begging bowls and dole is just factually wrong. Rovers have offered to finish the thing themselves now they are on an even keel again, but the council are adament the kids in the area will get this facility despite TD.

darbyo

Why would the govt. pay for the stadium if SR are willing to do it?, surely if SR will pay for the completion then they can get the stadium they want, TD can have no gripe and the govt saves money.

dublinfella

Quote from: darbyo on April 29, 2007, 10:22:51 PM
Why would the govt. pay for the stadium if SR are willing to do it?, surely if SR will pay for the completion then they can get the stadium they want, TD can have no gripe and the govt saves money.

because they feel the area needs a decent soccer facility and a high profile anchor tenent. the stadium as designed will return an overall profit for SDCC after a few years.

that and they cannot be seen to let TD win.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: resdubwhite on April 29, 2007, 11:23:11 AM
I see the election has been called. Anyone know how Lenihan wil lget on in the area.

Lenihan won't get back in. Shinners top the poll up there because the constituency incorporates Tallaght. Hes not even allowed campaign up in Tallaght cos thats Charlie O'Connor's patch. He was relying on the left-over votes from down in Templeogue/parts of Terenure. People down there are hugely embarrassed by his catalogue of gaffes during his previous tenure (kebabs, clowns, etc). Then he went and compounded things by backing O'Donoghue on the Tallaght stadium controversy, whereas Charlie O'Connor kept sensibly quiet. Lenihan has truly shot himself in both feet.

Sean Crowe will get in. Probably Charlie O'Connor. I think its still a 3-seat constituency and theres no way he'll get the 3rd.

tayto

oh will you give over.

So the stadium will turn a profit in a "few years" will it. You're so full of it it's frightening. Now is that another exageration or just another downright lie?

So you're not a rovers fan no? Just seem to take their side on any snippet of information and have an unhealthy interest in this development.

Bensars

I will laugh my arse off when TD get this thing overturned.

I have no sympathy for SR whatsoever on this issue and wouldnt cost me a thought if and when they go the wall. The one thing that stands out clearly in this debate is the desperation by the SR fans.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Looking forward to the outcome.

I wll leave on just one point, a point made by TUG, if TD had a known group associated with it, like the ultras, there would be uprorar.

Give the bastards nothin !!

his holiness nb

Tayto be careful, you may be a bigot after that post  :D
Ask me holy bollix

tayto

;D  ;D  ;D

I've tried butting out of this thread but it's impossible to let some of this guff go unanswered. You've one guy lashing "bigot" and "pathetic" out everytime someone disagrees with him, he even called us "selfish" for wanting into the municipal stadium in tallaght  ???

Now this clown is saying the 11 million stadium will be paid for in a few years ....  ???

lies lies lies

Thats it. there really is no point.

Lone Shark

Quote from: dublinfella on April 29, 2007, 10:09:28 PM
ye'll have the wherewithal to go where no Eircom league club has gone before - BUILD A STADIUM AND PAY FOR IT YERESELVES!!

scratch the surface and even sensible posters like you ooze snobbery and anti soccer rubbish.

What the hell?

Look, I'll admit that Hoops remarks about how Rovers shouldn't have to make do with 4500 capacity struck a nerve when put alongside the fact that Rovers are contributing absolutely feck all here (yes, I know, tax defaulting non-wage-paying Rovers made a contribution, and it's not a "zero sum game" whatever the hell that means). However while acknowledging that my response was a bit on the blunt side, why is the idea of a club building their own stadium a "ridiculous statement"???? Plus not liking ungrateful moochers hardly counts as snobbery.

I was refering to your comment that no Eircom League club has ever built a stadium themselves. A ridicilous thing to say.

You seem to all be forgetting one salient point here, it was the state that approached Rovers with a deal to complete the stadium. All this talk of begging bowls and dole is just factually wrong. Rovers have offered to finish the thing themselves now they are on an even keel again, but the council are adament the kids in the area will get this facility despite TD.

Which club did? I don't know of any is all, but I'm open to correction. Not which club inherited a ground by moving in there after the army vacated it, like Pat's, or a club like Galway that play in a stadium owned by a local district league, or UCD who had facilities built by the government due to being an educational institution, but a club that actually bought land and built a stadium for themselves. Whoever that club is, I'm going to start supporting them.

Incidentally, what were the terms of how Rovers offered to "finish" the stadium? Were ye paying for the land, or was the land to remained owned by the SDCC and leased by Rovers? I don't know this, I'm merely asking.

Billys Boots

Quotebut a club that actually bought land and built a stadium for themselves. Whoever that club is, I'm going to start supporting them.

Yooo Hooo, a new supporter for Longford Town.  ;) ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

dublinfella

Quote from: Lone Shark on April 30, 2007, 01:20:48 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on April 29, 2007, 10:09:28 PM

What the hell?

Which club did? I don't know of any is all, but I'm open to correction. Not which club inherited a ground by moving in there after the army vacated it, like Pat's, or a club like Galway that play in a stadium owned by a local district league, or UCD who had facilities built by the government due to being an educational institution, but a club that actually bought land and built a stadium for themselves. Whoever that club is, I'm going to start supporting them.

Incidentally, what were the terms of how Rovers offered to "finish" the stadium? Were ye paying for the land, or was the land to remained owned by the SDCC and leased by Rovers? I don't know this, I'm merely asking.

so why make such a specific point if when pushed you admit you havent a clue?

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on April 30, 2007, 09:55:27 AM
Quote from: resdubwhite on April 29, 2007, 11:23:11 AM
I see the election has been called. Anyone know how Lenihan wil lget on in the area.

Lenihan won't get back in. Shinners top the poll up there because the constituency incorporates Tallaght. Hes not even allowed campaign up in Tallaght cos thats Charlie O'Connor's patch He was relying on the left-over votes from down in Templeogue/parts of Terenure. People down there are hugely embarrassed by his catalogue of gaffes during his previous tenure (kebabs, clowns, etc). Then he went and compounded things by backing O'Donoghue on the Tallaght stadium controversy, whereas Charlie O'Connor kept sensibly quiet. Lenihan has truly shot himself in both feet.

Sean Crowe will get in. Probably Charlie O'Connor. I think its still a 3-seat constituency and theres no way he'll get the 3rd.

this would be the same Charlie O'Connor who has joined the 400 club and is at every Rovers home game and most away ones near Dublin? the same Charlie O'Connor who has done fundraising work for Rovers? If thats sensibly quiet I'm a chinaman.

Every party bar FG has publically supported Rovers stance with FF, SF and Labour all asking TD/the GAA to back off. They clearly are saying this privately too, hence the banning. It entertains me no end to think that the GAA in Tallaght reckon they can swing the constituancy (is it not against the rules of the GAA to even try?). Not one candidate of any hue will be seen to back them and they reckon they can make it the keynote issue in Tallaght?  ::) Not crime, the hospital or the national issues like house prices and traffic. Whats the weather like on planet Kennedy?

This is something thats becoming quite apparent in all this and some other issues on the go at the moment. The GAA has precious little political clout in comparison to days of old, hence the genuine confusion from Kennedy as to why he hasnt just been given the stadium because he asked for the GAA.

Rossfan

Is this b*****x still spoutin' shite?
Just to annoy ye GAA lads even further- the South Dublin Council has had to pay the Professionals involved in the original Searrach Rovers attempt at building a Stadium - Quantity Surveyors/Engineers/Architects etc around 250k recently - most of it "arrears"inherited from the people they had to give €1.5m to get their land back even though the ***** hadnt paid any rent on it. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
You just couldnt make it up.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM