Shamrock Rovers Ultras

Started by 15 Johnny Blues, April 04, 2007, 05:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

So it's a turn of phrase now? It doesn't mean 'F*ck off and Die'??

The fact that you are justifying it by saying schoolchildren use it but don't mean it is a bit lame to be honest. The people holding that banner were adults.

As for the lies, if someone has said that ALL Rovers fans are scum, then he or she is wrong and a liar. If they say that some are scum, well then to be honest that seems to be self evident.

The banner was scummy in my opinion.
The chanting at Simon Webb was scummy.
The fighting I saw with my own eyes was scummy, and certainly involved more than a few.

As regards people saying there are only hundreds at your games, that might be exaggerated, but then the figure of 3,000 must be an exaggeration too, as the club itself says their gat is just over 1,000.

his holiness nb

Ok so let me get this straight, you claim TD wish death upon Rovers, you base this on a vague statement that the TD fella said it after a few drinks, this accusation having absolutely no proof.

Secondly you deny Rovers wish death on TD, when there is a photograph proudly situated on the Ultras website clearly stating "Thomas Davis GAC, f**k off and die"

Seriously  :-\
Ask me holy bollix

hoop

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2007, 11:13:27 AM
As regards people saying there are only hundreds at your games, that might be exaggerated, but then the figure of 3,000 must be an exaggeration too, as the club itself says their gate is just over 1,000.

More rubbish. Which game are you talking about? Perhaps some meaningless one in last season's second division? Certainly not last Friday's game - where around 3,000 turned up.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 24, 2007, 11:14:58 AM
Ok so let me get this straight, you claim TD wish death upon Rovers, you base this on a vague statement that the TD fella said it after a few drinks, this accusation having absolutely no proof.

Secondly you deny Rovers wish death on TD, when there is a photograph proudly situated on the Ultras website clearly stating "Thomas Davis GAC, f**k off and die"

Seriously  :-\

hoop, answer this please.

AZOffaly

The club's average gate is 1,089 or something like that. It was posted before, maybe in another thread. Derry City, I think, or Cork, has the highest at 3,000+.

hoop

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2007, 11:19:16 AM
The club's average gate is 1,089 or something like that. It was posted before, maybe in another thread. Derry City, I think, or Cork, has the highest at 3,000+.

More rubbish. You are clearly talking about the second division. And Cork recently had 5,000 at home to Rovers.

bottlethrower7

Seriously  :-\

hoop, answer this please

AZOffaly

Average hoop. Average. If Cork has 5,000 for Rovers, and 1,000 for Bray that's an average of 3,000.

I'll look for the figures again . Sigh.

Also, wasn't it the 'First' division, not the 'Second'?

hoop

His views have been heard by many people - both soccer fans and GAA fans. It may surprise you to learn that many people in Thomas Davis can't stand him, are raging about what he has dragged them into and have no problem relating what they hear him say.

hoop

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2007, 11:23:28 AM
Average hoop. Average. If Cork has 5,000 for Rovers, and 1,000 for Bray that's an average of 3,000.

That's not what you said at all. And even if it was, it would be wrong. Cork get crowds of up to 8,000. And I merely referred to the "second division" in case there was confusion and some people thought first division was top flight.

AZOffaly

QuoteThe club's average gate is 1,089 or something like that. It was posted before, maybe in another thread. Derry City, I think, or Cork, has the highest at 3,000+.

That's what I said. Maybe that's not what you *read*.

brokencrossbar1

QuoteSo your telling that there is no bad blood in Thomas Davis regarding Rovers.What about the letter that accidently got leaked last week saying that if Rovers take on TD that there would only be one winner and also the 13 page document given to all its members which contained some pretty bad stuff regarding Rovers

What is this "pretty bad stuff" that you speak off?  It is a big jump to compare some bad stuff to "Fcuk off and Die". ::)

QuoteWell if there was a lot of people shouting at Simon Webb how come no one seemed to hear it.Im not defending it but its not that hard to hear a pretty distinctive voice in that end of the ground where there tends to less supporters.

If no one seemed to hear it why dd the club feel the need to issue an apology.  Surely they would have taken the approach if no -one heard it to state that it wasn't shouted and unless someone could prove otherwise the allegation should be withdrawn.  
Obviously it was heard an therefore should be condemned without reservation.

QuoteThe repeated assertion that the SRFC Ultras are "scum" or "hooligans" for example. It's a lazy, stupid and completely untrue claim.

This is not lazy, stupid or untrue.  From what I have read of first hand accounts here and on other boards there is a serious nasty element within the supporters of Rovers.  If a banner of that nature was unfurled at a GAA match the people reponsible would be made take it down and in all likelihood told to leave.  They are not all angels at GAA matches but that sort of behaviour is not acceptable.

QuoteQuote from: AZOffaly on Today at 10:54:38 AM
See that's where we are never going to agree. I cannot accept that wishing death on a group of people  is an acceptable riposte for any argument.

Oh for feck's sake - it's a turn of phrase that is probably used in just about every school playground in the country. That doesn't mean that kids are actually wishing death on each other, does it???

I have an 8 year old son and I help coach his under 10 football and hurling squads.  If any of them curse they are chastised.  If one of them said anything close to what was on that banner, they would be sent home and we would speak to their parents.  You may find it acceptable to speak like that but anyone with any decency in them would not accept it.  It is less a turn of phrase than "we will be the last ones standing" which is a hell of a lot less threateningthan that.

QuoteQuote from: bottlethrower7 on Today at 11:03:52 AM
no he doesn't

I'm afraid he does.

He has stated as much on many occasions - usually after a drink or two, when his tongue loosens and he forgets who's listening.

If he has said something with a few drinks him have you personally heard what he has said?

Irrespective of the legal issues over the actual stadium, the lack of respect by the Shamrock fans that I have experienced is shocking.  They have no respect for the due process of law, i.e TD's entitlement to question a decision made by a government body, nor have the any modicum of good grace or manners and feel that they can give 2 fingers to everyone and they will get their way because the Minister says they can.  It will be interesting to see the reaction if the JR goes against them.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: hoop on April 24, 2007, 11:24:04 AM

His views have been heard by many people - both soccer fans and GAA fans. It may surprise you to learn that many people in Thomas Davis can't stand him, are raging about what he has dragged them into and have no problem relating what they hear him say.

wow.

so all this is justification for wishing death upon them?

and you, hoop, would probably be not all that surprised to learn that, not only do the vast majority of Thomas Davis people support the club's stance, but so do pretty much all the clubs in the vicinity, and the majority of their membership. Perhaps you want all of us dead too?

And I can't stand my club chairman (I'm not from Davis'). But I whole-heartedly support him in this. You see, one thing has no bearing on the other.

AZOffaly

Lads has anyone that link to the Attendance figures I am on about? I can't find it.

Declan

I've been reading this thread with interest but as they say long time listener first time caller so here's my tuppence worth:

On the substantive issue of the stadium I have more sympathy for Rovers than for Thomas Davis. I would question the reasons behind Davis's objections.

On the banner- It was stupid and grossly offensive and if Rovers want any sympathy from the wider public they should state so.

On Friday night - nothing could excuse the abuse and the fact that the club issued a public apology indicates that there were a number of lowlifes involved.

In relation to the "supporters" of Rovers unfortunately there is a significant minority of a morons involved as has been witnessed in varous incidents over the years and I've has occasion to have words with them myself. One of the main reasons why I'm reluctant to bring my wife and kids to the games anymore. I don't think Rovers are doing enough to ensure that they don't attend games.

I speak as a long time Rovers fan and who has contact with the 400 club who I think in general are doing a good job in running the club and also as someone who donned the black and green of Davis's in the dim and distant past.