Shamrock Rovers Ultras

Started by 15 Johnny Blues, April 04, 2007, 05:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: hoop on May 06, 2007, 04:26:58 PM
They express their support elsewhere - and it's almost universal.
;D
A delusional Freudian slip maybe?
How about, widespread support within the nest of EL supporters.

hoop

Quote from: Main Street on May 06, 2007, 05:40:04 PM
A delusional Freudian slip maybe?

Okay, now you've lost me. Where's the alleged Freudian slip???

blast05

Quotebut its still an athletics stadium. whats your point?

No, re read what i wrote. It was revamped as a soccer stadium for the 1990 World Cup. In doing so, they developed it in such a way that continues to allow athletics, i.e.: the anchor tenant are 2 soccer clubs (minimum 60 odd games per year) with 1 major athletics event per year.
You can't possible describe a stadium that was revamped for the soccer world cup as a soccer stadium and the usage of which is >98% soccer, as an athletics stadium, unless your tongue is firmly in cheek.

How would the arrangement at Stadio Olympico be different to SR being anchor tenants with the ground developed in such a way as to facilitate GAA games for a few times per year.

Quoteif gaelic games could be included they would be. they cant so they wont.

We have already discussed this and it is clear from the picture in the Star that a GAA ground can be facilitated. There is only a matter of a couple of metres at stake in the width of the ground here and this is not a blocking issue. Reduce the width of the GAA pitch by 2 metres presuming that the picture in the Star is accurate .... and that is a big presumption

QuoteAs mentioned earlier the respondent and the notice party contended that the applicant had neither a substantial interest nor had it demonstrated substantial grounds for having the decision quashed because the withdrawal of funding by the Minister for the modified development meant that development as modified by the resolution of the 12th December, 2005 could not go ahead and hence there was no benefit to the applicant from the quashing of the resolution of the 13th February, 2006.
I am inclined to agree with Mr. Barron's submission, to the effect that the absence or otherwise of funding is a matter which would go towards the exercise of the courts discretion to grant refief by way of judicial review in circumstances where the court having heard the judicial review application was of the view that the relief claimed was otherwise merited.
That being so this not a factor which would warrant the refusal of leave.

In all fairness, there is quite a distance between the interpretation of this and stating that the stadium will not host GAA

hoop

Quote from: blast05 on May 06, 2007, 09:38:12 PM
How would the arrangement at Stadio Olympico be different to SR being anchor tenants with the ground developed in such a way as to facilitate GAA games for a few times per year.

So for a few games per year - games that could easily be played elsewhere - you want the stadium "developed in such a way as to facilitate GAA games". Or in other words, you want a totally botched stadium, that is HUGELY reduced in value as a soccer venue, just for the sake of it.

Because unless you put the stands on wheels - that's what you get.

blast05

QuoteOr in other words, you want a totally botched stadium

Is the Stadio Olympico a botched stadium ?

hoop

Quote from: blast05 on May 06, 2007, 10:03:27 PM
Is the Stadio Olympico a botched stadium ?

Why??? Do you see a comparison???

I don't.

With what Thomas Davis envisage for Tallaght - you don't have comparable crowds or comparable atmosphere - in fact you don't even have a four-sided stadium.

Instead you have soccer fans in a smallish, half-finished stadium, sitting miles away from the action with little atmosphere - simply because a deluded, arrogant loon has decided that he needs the stadium a few times per year for GAA.

Great logic.

blast05

QuoteWhy??? Do you see a comparison???

I don't.

Oh my god, i see now why people have given up trying to talk logic to you.
I'll try 1 last time:

The comparison:
The stadio olympico was redeveloped as a municipal soccer stadium which would have as its anchor tenants 2 soccer teams. It was also decided to ensure the redevelopment allowed for another sport, in this case athletics.
The development in Tallaght is being developed as a municipal stadium with its anchor tenant a soccer team. What TD are looking for, is a decision to ensure the development will allow for another sport, in this case GAA sports.

If you are unable (or chose not to) to see a comparison here then i am wasting my time debating with you

And to my question from many posts ago: would the Stadio Olympico (or smaller version of) be a good enough stadium for Shamrock Rovers ? The answer here i can only surmise in the context of this debate is "No" which says all i need to know ........... but of course, if the revised SDCC proposal had suggested an athletics track instead of a GAA pitch and if this were also shot down by John O'Donoghue and a local athletic club (which originally owned the land but gave it up on the promise of a community facility) had sought a judicial review ..... would you be disputing the issue so fervently as you are ?
Although you will deny this, you know you wouldn't

hoop

Quote from: blast05 on May 06, 2007, 11:53:09 PM
The stadio olympico was redeveloped as a municipal soccer stadium which would have as its anchor tenants 2 soccer teams. It was also decided to ensure the redevelopment allowed for another sport, in this case athletics.
The development in Tallaght is being developed as a municipal stadium with its anchor tenant a soccer team. What TD are looking for, is a decision to ensure the development will allow for another sport, in this case GAA sports.

Your preachy, know-it-all waffle can't mask the fact that GAA can't be included without Tallaght Stadium being botched as a venue in general - and completely ruined as a venue for soccer in particular - just for the sake of a few GAA games per year.

Which is why Thomas Davis STILL won't show anyone their famous "plans". Get back to me when they do.

In the meantime, carry on making ludicrous comparisons if it makes you feel happier.

Main Street

Seems to me that botching is twofold, the first in the years that the site was left untouched. Rover's club had been botching things for decades. The basis for a well run sports club is one that's owned and run by the membership. Do you think that the zillion GAA club facilities have just materialized after rubbing some State genie bottle?  You really haven't got any appreciatian how it's done, have you?
Seems to me that Rovers fans have been blaming everybody and everything else over the years, except their inate inability to form a functioning effective board from the membership to run the club, purchase and build facilities.

Secondly,  there is a population of 100,000 around Tallaght.  City planners have shit for brains when it comes to infrastructure, schools, hospitals and sports. Instead of the issue being - where is the space for us to build our sports facilities? - it becomes divide and rule, fighting over scraps.

dublinfella

Quote from: Main Street on May 07, 2007, 12:51:40 PM
Seems to me that botching is twofold, the first in the years that the site was left untouched. Rover's club had been botching things for decades. The basis for a well run sports club is one that's owned and run by the membership.

Ironic seeing as Rovers are a members owned club and Kennedy is dictating things in TD....

Quote from: Main Street on May 07, 2007, 12:51:40 PMDo you think that the zillion GAA club facilities have just materialized after rubbing some State genie bottle?  You really haven't got any appreciatian how it's done, have you?

and TD are doing what here exactly?
Quote from: Main Street on May 07, 2007, 12:51:40 PM
Secondly,  there is a population of 100,000 around Tallaght.  City planners have shit for brains when it comes to infrastructure, schools, hospitals and sports. Instead of the issue being - where is the space for us to build our sports facilities? - it becomes divide and rule, fighting over scraps.

that would be far more credible if it wasn't the GAA taking the unprecedentedly aggressive step of demanding that they are involved in another sports stadia.

blast05

Quoteand then soccer and rugby will leave a completely INTACT Croke Park forever

Then why did John O'Donoghue on Friday suggest that the GAA should leave Croke Park open for 2008 and beyond (as reported in yesterdays Irish Times) ??

QuoteYour preachy, know-it-all waffle can't mask the fact that GAA can't be included without Tallaght Stadium being botched as a venue in general

Call it what you want - waffle, preachy, whatever, but I am in the business of dealing with facts and what i referred to in regard the Stadio Olympico are facts.
I presented a very simple straight forward comparison based on these facts, and what are also facts are that the reveloped Stadio Olympico was good enough for a World Cup final and will be good enough for the Champions League final in 2009, but a stadium design using similar principles to those employed in the redevelopment of the Stadio Olympico is not good enough for Shamrcok Rovers.
You couldn't make it up  ::)

hoop

Quote from: blast05 on May 07, 2007, 05:24:27 PM
but a stadium design using similar principles to those employed in the redevelopment of the Stadio Olympico is not good enough for Shamrcok Rovers.

Very high aspirations there. Have you managed to access those secret Thomas Davis plans and discovered that they have in fact defied physics and managed to fit a square peg into a round hole???

No, of course not.

Meaningless waffle won't lead to a proper, fully-finished logical stadium (including a full-sized GAA pitch).

Rossfan

Quote from: hoop on May 07, 2007, 05:36:27 PM

Meaningless waffle won't lead to a proper, fully-finished logical stadium (including a full-sized GAA pitch).

Five Minutes of Council/Minister/SR and TD/DCB sitting round a table would lead to the above.
It would make more sense than a Senior Manager of the Council writing childish letters to the local Paper FFS.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

hoop

Quote from: Rossfan on May 07, 2007, 05:40:14 PM
Five Minutes of Council/Minister/SR and TD/DCB sitting round a table would lead to the above.

No it wouldn't, because it's not possible.

Which is why Thomas Davis won't show anyone their "plans".

dublinfella

Quote from: Rossfan on May 07, 2007, 05:40:14 PM
Quote from: hoop on May 07, 2007, 05:36:27 PM

It would make more sense than a Senior Manager of the Council writing childish letters to the local Paper FFS.

he was reacting to lies from TD about the councils position in the paper, as is his right.