Social Networking

Started by ONeill, August 23, 2013, 10:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/07/7-ways-to-be-insufferable-on-facebook.html

I read this earlier and it fairly summed up all the most irritating elements of these types of platforms (for me). Then I read the comments underneath and it has fairly divided opinion. There was one post though that opened my eyes a bit. They moreorless said FB is what it is for whoever uses it - if someone's personality/posts on it irks you then that's life - you've no obligation to be on it in the first place. I suppose this place is a version of it.

Is there anyone on here who uses no other form of social network (mostly facebook and twitter)?
Are these platforms a bad thing?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pullhard

NAG1

It's all bullsh*t regardless, then people wonder where their privacy has gone.

muppet

Quote from: pullhard on August 23, 2013, 11:06:30 AM
Thats superb.

Agreed.

Interesting how most of everything is either attention seeking, jealousy inducing or narcissism.

Now excuse me as I have to go and tell everyone how I ran 308 metres with only two breaks.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

I know it's meant to be light-hearted, but that blog post reeks of grumpy old man. The trick to Facebook is to remember that these people are your friends. Would he give this lecture to a friend if they engaged in a spot of attention-seeking in the pub? I'd say he'd soon find out just how much of a friend they really are.

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on August 23, 2013, 11:31:22 AM
I know it's meant to be light-hearted, but that blog post reeks of grumpy old man. The trick to Facebook is to remember that these people are your friends. Would he give this lecture to a friend if they engaged in a spot of attention-seeking in the pub? I'd say he'd soon find out just how much of a friend they really are.

But isn't the point that almost no one would spout the sort of crap in the pub, that they do on FaceBook?
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

Great article ONeill.

Think I'll post it on Facebook.
Testing Accessibility

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on August 23, 2013, 11:33:13 AM
But isn't the point that almost no one would spout the sort of crap in the pub, that they do on FaceBook?

Are you saying no one talks crap in the pub? They may talk a different kind of crap, but it's still crap. The difference is you wouldn't be on the receiving end of a blast of pomposity from a friend. Or not someone who would be a friend much longer.

trueblue1234

Yeah but in a pub you don't keep holding up your pint to friends and going, "Here's my pint, I'm going to drink it so I am"*

* actually maybe you would if your empty and someone is dragging in the rounds!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on August 23, 2013, 11:39:03 AM

Are you saying no one talks crap in the pub? They may talk a different kind of crap, but it's still crap. The difference is you wouldn't be on the receiving end of a blast of pomposity from a friend. Or not someone who would be a friend much longer.

Ah come on dieseach, I did not say that 'no one talks crap in the pub'.

Imagine some chick standing up in the pub announcing to everyone that she has 'the bestest boyfriend in the world and thank you for the greatest 13.5 weeks of my life'. Meanwhile in the other corner some dude stands up and shouts out that his son got '125 points in the Leaving Cert and got Cattle Rustling in Castlerea' and that 'I am the proudest Dad on earth'.

FaceBook has very different crap to the pubs I go to.

MWWSI 2017

Minder

Most of the people on your Facebook aren't your "friends".
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I just use whatsapp to send messages. Suppose Twitter ain't bad cos you only have 140 characters - could use it here to encourage brevity. Mind, you might get cut off mid-sent
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Cold tea

Most people with over 50 friends probably have never met these people in their lives, why people want randoms to know when they are having a glass of wine is beyond me.

screenexile

Quote from: deiseach on August 23, 2013, 11:31:22 AM

If one of the lads started spouting nonsense like that in the pub you'd tell him to wind his neck in and buy everyone a jar for talking shite!

Lecale2