Cork v Clare All Ireland SHC Final Sunday 8th September 3.30pm

Started by CitySlicker11, August 22, 2013, 06:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 08, 2013, 10:24:08 PM
THEY ARE NOT MISSING THE REF ON THE SUNDAY GAME ON HIS PERFORMANCE

You are not missing the caps lock on your computer!  :P

Tony Baloney

Got rode by the ref alright but missed a half dozen scorable chances, including frees that on another day would be gimmes. Cork were poor enough but goals will always give you a chance. Clare should have finished the job today.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

johnneycool

Thought Gavin was very poor for Clare in the first half with at least three non-frees going against Clare in scoreable positions, the David McInerney over carrying one, Firstly the keeper was impeded with a downward stroke on him as he went to lift it, then McInerney was slapped on the arm, not once ,but twice before Gavin signalled the free in for over carrying. Then the Lorcan McLoughlin who ran straight into the Clare lad with the hand carrying the ball pushed into the faceguard of the standing Clare defender, free in to Cork, quite unbelievable if the truth was told.
The Shane O'Neill incident, hard to say as he was probably going on the umpires and it depends on what they told him, the slap around the head though was malicious and unlike the Pa Horgan one earlier on in the year, there wasn't a ball in sight. He should have walked, but its very hard for a hurling referee to send someone off now as its them and not the player involved is accused of ruining the game.

Davy had his homework done, went 15 on 15 and pressed Cork hard in their own defence and it worked. Cork ball into the forwards was terrible, high and hopeful which was ate up by the Clare defenders, only Harnedy was able to get any limited joy out of that type of ball. At this point those soft frees from Gavin were the only thing on offer for Cork and if they hadn't got them I'd have expected Clare to have went in 5 to 7 points up and not the 2 they did.
Clare continued where they left off and pinned on another 2 points and kept that lead until the first Cork goal which Lehane took well but Kelly should have done better, even at that Clare went up the field and got the next point to stifle Cork momentum. IIRC they got the lead back up to 5 points and IMO at this time Davy should have reverted back to the sweeper system as Cork needed goals, closing down the space in there would have prevented at least one of these chances, but hindsight is a great thing.

Both sides live to fight another day, but some of the Cork lads looked deflated with the draw and Clare slightly more upbeat, strange I thought as if you look at it another way, Cork were poor for 50 odd minutes and ended up with a draw, Clare played all the hurling for the most of the game and still couldn't put this Cork team away. It's hard to see Cork being as poor again, but at the same time Clare can hope for a better deal of a different referee as well as a few decisions some of the players made as well costing at least on goal chance in the second half.

On the penalty, free taking thing, I have no issue with Nash's style as he does the proper jab and runs into it, granted 5 metres away, as O'Cusack pointed out there's no way a keeper can be 20 metres away from where the ball is struck when this happens.
IMO Horgan fouls the ball every time as he balances it on the hurl for what seems an inordinate time, if the ball stays dead on the hurl then allegedly its ok, but what if he took a couple more steps with the ball balanced, is that OK? I'd tighten that rule up a bit as well.

Canalman

Jeez, Cork are certainly riding their luck this year. Imo since the MF sending off was rescinded the Gods have been smiling on Cork hurling.
MotM for me was Brendan Bugler.

Think Clare will win replay handily. Clearly and by far the better team imo.

highorlow

Did anyone else think the young Clare bucks did to much fancy danning? I think this cost them the game in the end, i.e. soccer effort for a goal and on another occasion and with Clare 3 or 4 points ahead in the 2nd half (i think it was one of the Ryan's) who failed to pass it to his left and decided to go solo for the glory, that was an easier chance.

Criminal stuff really from the fishes. They can only have themselves to blame if Cork win the replay.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

imtommygunn

When Nash slid out on the Clare guy coming through should that have been a foul??

Slide tackle in football but any rules in hurling?

It is hard to see how Clare could be so dominant again. In their forwards you'd say 4, probably 5 in fact, won their battles against their respective markers. I doubt that'll happen again but then again I doubt they'll leak so many goals either...

theticklemister

Bk page of irish news and irish star........ Headlines all about money; f**k you ya c***ts. All about winnig an all ireland kedal forthose players and management. Headlibes oike that sicken me, bunch of captailist badsrards.

highorlow

QuoteBk page of irish news and irish star........ Headlines all about money; f**k you ya c***ts. All about winnig an all ireland kedal forthose players and management. Headlibes oike that sicken me, bunch of captailist badsrards.

Are you not embarrassed to be buying the rag ya dope ya!

Milltown Row2

First off I thought the match had a fantastic finish to it, which brought everyone in the club on to their feet and shouting at the final whistle, for a well deserved draw.

As a referee giving his view of Galvin I thought he was very poor, looked unfit and missed a lot of calls, I thought he was biased for most parts against Clare (was he born in Cork ffs) and the only thing he did was give Clare an extra 42 seconds to score the equaliser.

As for some of the technical fouls, once the player jab lifts the ball then it's in play, there is no rule to stop him for moving 5 yards in with it, which means the goalkeeper can advance once the ball has been lifted.

The argy bargy between the ff and fb, it seemed to me that the Cork lad was the aggressor but there could have been some stuff going on before that that the umpires saw. So he booked both. Clare were by far the better team, Cork took the goal chances and that's why they were still in it and could have won in the end. Will head down to the reply hoping for a Clare win. Oh well done to Waterford in the minor hurling final. And I hope Fitzy won't let his Under 21's play next week in Thurles ;)

Tommy how many times have you seen a goalkeeper get done for coming out like that? not too many I'd say in any code, but if a player does it.....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I'd say you're right on that on the goalie sliding out  thoughI thought referees weren't biased  ;-)

The ref had a bad game but doubt he was intentionally biased.

It is hard to see how Clare could be so dominant again in the replay. They'll need to get more economical and get a few goals to win this one I suspect. They isolated the big guy who's name I forgot (Homan??)against Shane O'Neill and he didn't get much out of him. They'd need to rethink who to play there the next day. O'Neill is a good operator but the right ball to the right guy in a one on one could be very dangerous.

Minder

The problem with Clare not having a goal threat is that the rest of their work (point scoring) has to be almost perfect, in fairness they do put up big tallies but it meant they couldn't get out of sight yesterday when perhaps they should have been.

Gavin was poor alright, couldn't believe the one on McInerney, I could see from the top of the Cusack that the Cork player pulled across his hand but Gavin couldn't see from 10 yards away. I hope Clare win the replay, they were much the better team and Conor Ryan gave one of the best displays I have seen in an All Ireland final. It's obvious Kelly should have done better with Lehanes goal but I also didn't think Cronins was anything out of the ordinary either, I thought he was going for a point at first, he didn't seem to connect fully. As mentioned Honan was poor, he seems to find it hard to get into games at times and they will need a lot more from him the next day.

On another note, an ill bred **** from Cork was sitting beside me, he came in at 3.28pm, steaming, shouted abuse at the Clare players for 35 minutes, I actually thought there was going to be bother as there was a Clare family in front of them took issue with what he was saying, he went out at half time and never came back. Why do people bother ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Sean3

Great game and great excitement. Clare were the better team and for most of the match Cork didn't seem sure how to deal with them. Clare's swarm tackling didn't give Cork an inch. Conor Ryan looked as if he could win any ball sent down on top of him. He had a great game. Score of the match for me was Podge Collins' point in the second half. Even though Clare played well they can still improve. Tony Kelly got 3 points but wasn't very conspicuous. John Conlon was quite enough as was Darach Honan. Cian Dillon looked under pressure and Patrick Kelly was poor for Lehane's goal. His arse stopped Nash's first effort. Nash's lift turns a 21 into a 14m free.  Cork are hard beat however. Hats off to Conor Lehane. I thought he was not having a great year but he did well yesterday. Horgan and Harnedy were very good and Joyce came into at the end of the game. Did Clare leave it behind them?

Congratulations to Waterford on a great win. They have some serious hurlers.

Bord na Mona man

Clare should have won this by 10. They put too many scoreable chances wide, allowing Cork managed to hang on even though they were struggling.

Podge Collins trying to kick in a goal, but already jumping out of the way of the onrushing Nash was the crucial turning pint. Cork went down the field and levelled with a goal.

If Clare had a goalkeeper who held the hurley correctly and was able to switch it across his body, he might have saved 2 of those goals as well. Clare might have a beef with a couple of refereeing calls, but they also did stupid things to get frees moved up.

The Tarzan like celebrations from players after winning frees is getting ridiculous. Time to stamp it out.

highorlow

QuoteThe Tarzan like celebrations from players after winning frees is getting ridiculous. Time to stamp it out.

Agreed. Room 101 for that. The RTE love showing replays of it in super slow motion which is more annoying.