Hawkeye arse up

Started by seafoid, August 20, 2013, 08:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/limerick-to-lodge-appeal-against-result-in-wake-of-hawk-eye-debacle-1.1499272

"According to the Hawk-Eye release, "all of the settings were adjusted to cater for hurling, bar one value for the Hill 16 end posts, which was set for football."
The impact of this arises because Hawk-Eye automatically disallows any score that hits the post, as its image generation can't plot the trajectory of a rebound.
As it was reading the sliotar as a football, which is considerably larger, it deemed that the ball had hit the post and therefore declared the shot by Limerick's Barry Nash a 'miss' even though the graphic clearly showed the shot passing between the posts."

Ash Smoker

I can't see the reason to appeal.
Umpiring mistakes are an accepted hazard.

neilthemac

they lost the game in extra time

it's considered a new game.
that is why the appeal will be thrown out.

magpie seanie

I think there should be a replay. Hawkeye pay the stadium & security costs and all gate proceeds should go to the Guide Dogs charity.

muppet

Hawkeye: Should have gone to Specsavers

MWWSI 2017

Asal Mor

The ref gave them a free for nothing right at the end of normal time. They got a second chance already and Galway beat them well. If they want a third chance, I think it's pretty unsporting but it might do the young Galway lads no harm at all.

The Biff

Why was one camera set to "Football" anyway?  Had the system been used since the previous Sunday's first Hurling semi-final?

I thought of that "hit the post" possibility myself when I saw the animation showing the ball pass very close to the upright.  If I remember correctly, the GAA's procedure in this is that the Hawkeye Operator can overrule both the umpire and referee if the computer flashes up a different outcome than the on-field officials have indicated.

So in this case, even though the umpire flagged the point and the referee agreed, then the man-in-the-stands saw his screen flash up "Miss" or similar.  He gets on the blower to the referee saying "hold on a sec, you need to see what I'm seeing".

Compare this to Cricket DRS .... there they do allow Hawkeye to do a bit of "projecting" in LBW decisions.  The ball hits the batsman's pads, but Hawkeye projects where it might have gone if it hadn't been blocked.  That's what the GAA need for Hawkeye v2.0 - think about a forward shooting but is blocked by an illegal foot-block.  Could Hawkeye "project" if the goal would have been scored without the foul block?

Ah here   :o
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

johnneycool

Quote from: The Biff on August 20, 2013, 02:41:12 PM
Why was one camera set to "Football" anyway?  Had the system been used since the previous Sunday's first Hurling semi-final?

I thought of that "hit the post" possibility myself when I saw the animation showing the ball pass very close to the upright.  If I remember correctly, the GAA's procedure in this is that the Hawkeye Operator can overrule both the umpire and referee if the computer flashes up a different outcome than the on-field officials have indicated.

So in this case, even though the umpire flagged the point and the referee agreed, then the man-in-the-stands saw his screen flash up "Miss" or similar.  He gets on the blower to the referee saying "hold on a sec, you need to see what I'm seeing".

Compare this to Cricket DRS .... there they do allow Hawkeye to do a bit of "projecting" in LBW decisions.  The ball hits the batsman's pads, but Hawkeye projects where it might have gone if it hadn't been blocked.  That's what the GAA need for Hawkeye v2.0 - think about a forward shooting but is blocked by an illegal foot-block.  Could Hawkeye "project" if the goal would have been scored without the foul block?

Ah here   :o

That thought crossed my mind too, the last football game would have been a fortnight before the second semi-final, so if the settings were wrong then in all probability the settings were wrong last Sunday as well. There'd be some fun if a point decision down that end had went the wrong way in a tight senior game.

neilthemac

how many times was Hawk-eye used in the Cork v Dublin game?

AZOffaly

This just in, the ISPCA have demanded that Hawkeye change it's name as it is giving the proud Irish bird of prey a terrible name. Bateye is the new proposed name.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 20, 2013, 01:50:37 PM
The ref gave them a free for nothing right at the end of normal time. They got a second chance already and Galway beat them well. If they want a third chance, I think it's pretty unsporting but it might do the young Galway lads no harm at all.

He gave Galway a free for nothing to level it but ye went ahead so he had to give them a free for nothing to level it. That's how it looked to me anyway.

Canalman

Quote from: neilthemac on August 20, 2013, 03:32:33 PM

Twice I think. Both in the hill 16 goals and both decisions went against Dublin. This will disappoint no end of  conspiracy posters here.

Funny now but there was a lad from the club in the pub afterwards who was in the Hogan Stand adamant one of them was a point. No one took any heed to what he was saying.

Anyway, game long over and final result accepted.

Asal Mor

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 20, 2013, 03:43:48 PM

He gave Galway a free for nothing to level it but ye went ahead so he had to give them a free for nothing to level it. That's how it looked to me anyway.

I'd have to see that one again Seanie. Can't remember it.

deiseach

Quote from: Canalman on August 20, 2013, 05:17:44 PM
Funny now but there was a lad from the club in the pub afterwards who was in the Hogan Stand adamant one of them was a point. No one took any heed to what he was saying.

I was in the Davin and thought a first-half effort from Dublin, a snap-shot from close range which was signalled wide, had gone over. As Hawk Eye warmed up I was thinking that I had a better angle than the umpire who would have had no time to adjust to the speed of the shot, yet Hawk Eye gave it wide and I had to doff my cap to the umpire. That sense of infallibility on the part of the technology is now in ruins.

iorras

Quote from: neilthemac on August 20, 2013, 03:32:33 PM
Dublin were playing into the Hill end in the first half if I remember correctly