Charity match in aid of CF: Mayo Legends v Rest of Ireland All Stars

Started by Farrandeelin, August 19, 2013, 07:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: saffronandblue on August 31, 2013, 10:23:05 PM
Fantastic to see 'The Bomber ' Brogan in action once more.  The best player that I have ever seen, bar none.  What might have been for club and county...............  Fair play to him for turning out tonight and great to see such a large number of former greats turn up for the event.  Well done to all involved and to Brolly, Flynn, McGeeney, McHugh etc. for giving up of their time to come down and support the event.

Some of these guys are still in mighty good shape.  Eugene McHale who must be 55+ was flying.

To all my Crossmolina mates.......it must have been worth the journey alone to see McDonald tog out in a Knockmore jersey ;D
Did Bernie Flynn tog out?
I heard he'd be there're but I thought he'd be unable to play because of his injuries.
Some of ye may recall that he was in the news for all the wrong reasons about two years ago. Seems he is badly affected by arthritis and needs expensive medical treatment to help him cope with the pain and general debilitation.
What brought this story into the news was the fact that the Meath County Board seems to have refused to pay any money towards his medical costs.
When the story broke, he was interviewed by Newstalk and a few newspapers ran with the story but it gradually faded into the background and I've heard no more about his injuries or his medical costs since then.
If he turned out last night, he must have made a miraculous recovery or else the account of his condition was greatly exaggerated to begin with.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Chimley

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 31, 2013, 11:21:28 PM
Fantastic to see 'The Bomber ' Brogan in action once more.  The best player that I have ever seen, bar none.  What might have been for club and county...............  Fair play to him for turning out tonight and great to see such a large number of former greats turn up for the event.  Well done to all involved and to Brolly, Flynn, McGeeney, McHugh etc. for giving up of their time to come down and support the event.

Some of these guys are still in mighty good shape.  Eugene McHale who must be 55+ was flying.

To all my Crossmolina mates.......it must have been worth the journey alone to see McDonald tog out in a Knockmore jersey ;D
I heard he'd be there're but I thought he'd be unable to play because of his injuries.
Some of ye may recall that he was in the news for all the wrong reasons about two years ago. Seems he is badly affected by arthritis and needs expensive medical treatment to help him cope with the pain and general debilitation.
What brought this story into the news was the fact that the Meath County Board seems to have refused to pay any money towards his medical costs.
When the story broke, he was interviewed by Newstalk and a few newspapers ran with the story but it gradually faded into the background and I've heard no more about his injuries or his medical costs since then.
If he turned out last night, he must have made a miraculous recovery or else the account of his condition was greatly exaggerated to begin with.

You sound a bit like an insurance investigator there Lar  ;)

From the Bunker

Yeah, he togged out! Got a hefty challenge from Gary Ruane near the end of the game. Being honest the brakes were not working well for Gary at the time.

macdanger2

Fantastic to see 'The Bomber ' Brogan in action once more.  The best player that I have ever seen, bar none.  What might have been for club and county............... 

I don't suppose Bomber has any sons yet?? If we could get himself and Cora together, we'd have some footballers!!

shark

He had some serious work done alright, but has made a fairly good recovery. I guess the Meath county board would argue that he finished playing with Meath at about 25 years old (open to correction here, but he was quite young), but played for another 6/7 years with Mullingar Shamrocks. Certainly one year he did his cruciate in the Leinster club championship in November and still played the first round of the Westmeath Championsip the following April. Pushed himself too hard and is paying for it now with replacement knees and hip.

saffronandblue

Poor Joe Brolly is still under the weather after his late night in Knockmore!

From the Bunker

Quote from: saffronandblue on September 01, 2013, 02:10:33 PM
Poor Joe Brolly is still under the weather after his late night in Knockmore!

He was definitely the last to leave the pitch with Autographs and also guess he was last to leave the club bar!