Peter Robinson steps down as First Minister!

Started by under the bar, August 16, 2013, 11:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

I thinks there's still a debate to be had about belief systems of people who come here to live in a multicultural society but who in their heart of hearts would stone someone to death for adultery if they could apply such laws.

The media describe this as an extremist position within the muslim tradition yet these sunni's in the video below see themselves as ordinary joes and even they believe in such punishments. Who can say they would be happy living amongst people who think that way? Makes be pretty uncomfortable.

Couldn't live beside yer man McConnell either BTW.

Got this from Richard Dawkins feed on twitter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV710c1dgpU
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Nally Stand

Quote from: gallsman on May 30, 2014, 11:12:46 AM
have they stopped claiming Westminster expenses yet?
Why should they? Their MPs run full time constituency offices. They just don't attend the House of Commons.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

gallsman

Quote from: WT4E on May 30, 2014, 12:15:17 PM
Any word about the DUP woman who called Ana Lo a racist???

The DUP have apologised. Has probably cost her her shot at being mayor of Newtonabbey as, even if the DUP still nominate her, the other parties won't support.

gallsman

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 30, 2014, 12:25:58 PM
Why should they? Their MPs run full time constituency offices. They just don't attend the House of Commons.

But they should still be applauded for "only taking the industrial wage", yes?

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on May 30, 2014, 12:28:23 PM

Should they be applauded for giving a part of their wages to a useless political party?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Keyser soze

Any chance yous could take this shite to a relevant thread???

Nally Stand

Quote from: gallsman on May 30, 2014, 12:28:23 PM

A not even subtle change of subject there gallsman! But yes, any politician who demonstrates that they are not being motivated by their own financial gain is worthy of some kudos.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Keyser soze

Quote from: theskull1 on May 30, 2014, 12:23:16 PM
I thinks there's still a debate to be had about belief systems of people who come here to live in a multicultural society but who in their heart of hearts would stone someone to death for adultery if they could apply such laws.

The media describe this as an extremist position within the muslim tradition yet these sunni's in the video below see themselves as ordinary joes and even they believe in such punishments. Who can say they would be happy living amongst people who think that way? Makes be pretty uncomfortable.

Couldn't live beside yer man McConnell either BTW.

Got this from Richard Dawkins feed on twitter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV710c1dgpU

Well i imagine you are already living beside plenty of people who believe in the death penalty for certain crimes, maybe in a more 'humane' fashion such as hanging, electric chair etc. Most of these people wouldnt be Muslim either I would hazard.

I would also hazard that P Robinson and McConnell would be firmly in the pro-capital punishment camp for offences which fall foul of their moral compass. So ironically they are firmly opposed to someone else's [of a different faith/race/nationality] beliefs being the basis upon which the laws of the country are based, whilst loudly proclaiming their right to do exactly the same.

WT4E

Quote from: gallsman on May 30, 2014, 12:26:58 PM
Quote from: WT4E on May 30, 2014, 12:15:17 PM
Any word about the DUP woman who called Ana Lo a racist???

The DUP have apologised. Has probably cost her her shot at being mayor of Newtonabbey as, even if the DUP still nominate her, the other parties won't support.

I thought she would be punished not rewarded!

johnneycool

Is anyone here surprised by Pastor McConnell and Peter?

The man of God McConnell is only going down the well trodden and successful path of the Rev Ian where if you demonise a section of the community enough to the point where your flock start doing a bit of burning and what not before it expedites to full blown murder, but yet the man of gods hands are clean.

This time its the Muslims getting it, as sometimes the flock need something different to fear.

theskull1

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 30, 2014, 12:46:42 PM
Well i imagine you are already living beside plenty of people who believe in the death penalty for certain crimes, maybe in a more 'humane' fashion such as hanging, electric chair etc. Most of these people wouldnt be Muslim either I would hazard.

I would also hazard that P Robinson and McConnell would be firmly in the pro-capital punishment camp for offences which fall foul of their moral compass. So ironically they are firmly opposed to someone else's [of a different faith/race/nationality] beliefs being the basis upon which the laws of the country are based, whilst loudly proclaiming their right to do exactly the same.

I'm anti any creed of zealous religious nuttery and the pastor falls firmly into that camp.

However, I don't think the arguments you're putting forward address the point I made. There's a fair old gap between it being acceptable to stone someone to death for adultery or marrying outside of the faith and killing someone after they've been convicted for a brutal murder. I wouldn't be a fan of any of those laws but I can see there's a difference between them.

give her dixie

What has been the reaction, if any, from the other main political parties or church leaders to McConnell and Robinson?
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

theskull1

Quote from: give her dixie on May 30, 2014, 02:58:48 PM
What has been the reaction, if any, from the other main political parties or church leaders to McConnell and Robinson?

Dyou mean parties in the 6?

There was a full scale row in the executive chambers yesterday when MMcG brought the topic up.

give her dixie

McGuinness cant have much to say given he is very good friends with Peter King who is on a par if not worse than McConnell.
Quote from: theskull1 on May 30, 2014, 03:01:14 PM

There was a full scale row in the executive chambers yesterday when MMcG brought the topic up.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

theskull1

Quote from: give her dixie on May 30, 2014, 03:06:33 PM

McGuinness cant have much to say given he is very good friends with Peter King who is on a par if not worse than McConnell.
Quote from: theskull1 on May 30, 2014, 03:01:14 PM

Didnt realise I was going to be the straight guy in that double act