All Ireland Fleadh 2013 Doire

Started by Dougal Maguire, August 11, 2013, 12:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bailestil

There was a good interview with an organiser who said it was a great occasion to introduce the fleadh to Derry people who have never experienced it and for fleadh goers to experience the recent transformation of Derry. Think that sums it up well

The town is busting at the seams with people. Atmosphere is great.

Your always gonna get people on the margins who will be against most things. But often that's just where some people want to be.

The Gs Man

Exactly!

Embrace it! Who cares how it ended up in Derry?!
Keep 'er lit

Friendlyfire

Another great day in, and for, Derry City - so much so I'm considering heading back in again today.

Women playing bodhrans think carefully - did you practise ever have lessons? If the answer is no - then it would be better if you listened to those around you first or find an  Apache  who wouldn't mind listening to your efforts.

Adh mor!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Guildhall Square fantastic today. During the day at the fleadh is very very good

johnneycool

I see it takes a woman from the Ards Peninsula to pull it all together up there in Derry....

orangeman

Sees to have been a brilliant success story all round.

OakleafCounty

It was a superb week! Absolutely superb! For all ages from my 7 month old boy to my 82 year old granda. A big well done to all involved!

Keepthefaith93

Quote from: OakleafCounty on August 19, 2013, 12:22:25 PM
It was a superb week! Absolutely superb! For all ages from my 7 month old boy to my 82 year old granda. A big well done to all involved!

+1

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnneycool on August 19, 2013, 11:21:52 AM
I see it takes a woman from the Ards Peninsula to pull it all together up there in Derry....

Eibhlín Ní Dhochartaigh- sure shes Derry City born and bred ;)

Maguire01

Quote from: theticklemister on August 17, 2013, 10:30:45 AM
The basic fact is that if Derry had not become the UK city of culture then the fleadh would not be in the town. It is a fact that the comhaltas i gcontae nDoire decided not to apply for this award due to the UK title, however 4 'new' comhaltas branches sprung up in Derry City just before the applications had to be decided. Therefore these 'new' groups swung the balance and the application for Derry went through. Then due to political power the town got awarded the fleadh. It is rotten from the top down. If the comhaltas i nDoire had to apply for it and got the award through its own merits then that would be a fleadh to be proud of. I wouldn't be seen for a week as I would have been up that town with bodhran and whistle in hand!!!!!
Given that it was - by all accounts - a massive success, attendance 50% up on the previous record, does that not indicate that the means by which the Fleadh ended up in Derry was more appropriate?

theticklemister

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2013, 06:21:54 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on August 17, 2013, 10:30:45 AM
The basic fact is that if Derry had not become the UK city of culture then the fleadh would not be in the town. It is a fact that the comhaltas i gcontae nDoire decided not to apply for this award due to the UK title, however 4 'new' comhaltas branches sprung up in Derry City just before the applications had to be decided. Therefore these 'new' groups swung the balance and the application for Derry went through. Then due to political power the town got awarded the fleadh. It is rotten from the top down. If the comhaltas i nDoire had to apply for it and got the award through its own merits then that would be a fleadh to be proud of. I wouldn't be seen for a week as I would have been up that town with bodhran and whistle in hand!!!!!
Given that it was - by all accounts - a massive success, attendance 50% up on the previous record, does that not indicate that the means by which the Fleadh ended up in Derry was more appropriate?

Of course there is gonna be more people at this one as Derry City has a population of 110,000, while other towns in recents years like Tullamore and Cavan have population of around 10,000 max ( rough guess). More people are going to go to it when on their doorstep . I wasnt up all week until saturday and sunday night as my friends arrived up I didnthear much traditional music being played. I would go by the success of promoting Irish music rather than the numbers who entered the town. A lot of the bars had bands booked and therefore the impromptu sessions were minimal so said a few people I was speaking to. As I was not in the town at day time the whole week I have to take their word for it.others have said however they had a great time but the same people wouldnt know an accordian from a bodhran.

Maguire01

Admit it, you want to be 'glass half empty' on this one.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

The fleadh had its good and bad and points like they all do. But I'd say it had far more good than bad about it.
The venues were excellent, the campsites were first class, and yes although a lot of bars played rubbish rebel tunes etc, the craft village and guildhall square proved to be a major success for those who wanted to play good trad. The guildhall was an alcohol free zone and this allowed all the children to play freely and it allowed others to properly enjoy it.
The bars were much better during the day.

Kid Twist

I enjoyed impromptu sessions in the following places over the week- tower hotel, sandwich company, wgs, anchor, castle, rocking chair, tinneys, park bar, craft village, grand central, various outdoor locations including guildhall square, Waterloo place,ebrington. I also went to some of the concerts and they were top class. Also chatted to people who were at sessions in various other bars that I didn't attend. If you limited yourself to the 'drinking zones' and pop up bars these sessions were probably 'minimal' as they were too crowded and noisy. Overall it was a class week from start to finish

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Kid Twist on August 19, 2013, 09:49:01 PM
I enjoyed impromptu sessions in the following places over the week- tower hotel, sandwich company, wgs, anchor, castle, rocking chair, tinneys, park bar, craft village, grand central, various outdoor locations including guildhall square, Waterloo place,ebrington. I also went to some of the concerts and they were top class. Also chatted to people who were at sessions in various other bars that I didn't attend. If you limited yourself to the 'drinking zones' and pop up bars these sessions were probably 'minimal' as they were too crowded and noisy. Overall it was a class week from start to finish

Thats a pretty good summary of how i seen it too.