So that woman who went missing in Ibiza

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 11, 2013, 01:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

f**k sake lads if this were a sister/daughter of your own u wouldn't be as bloody smart

Gaffer

Gutted for the girls.

I feel the best for them is that they serve a coupe of years in Peru and the rest back home if that's possible.

All i can say is when I was 20 years of age I wasn't exactly street wise and would have been gullible enough to do a stupid  thing as these girls have done.

Lets hope a lesson is learned from this without too much suffering.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hereiam on August 13, 2013, 11:36:07 PM
f**k sake lads if this were a sister/daughter of your own u wouldn't be as bloody smart

Give over lads. If it were a tattoo covered skinhead with a scar across his face would you be saying same thing? Or if it were a drug smuggler that brought home drugs that killed your daughter/sister?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyHarp

Quote from: Gaffer on August 13, 2013, 11:41:44 PM
Gutted for the girls.

I feel the best for them is that they serve a coupe of years in Peru and the rest back home if that's possible.

All i can say is when I was 20 years of age I wasn't exactly street wise and would have been gullible enough to do a stupid  thing as these girls have done.

Seriously, when you were 20 you wouldn't have thought that it might not be good idea to go to Peru and smuggle £1.5m worth of coke in Quaker Oats bags out of the country?
That was never a square ball!!

Gaffer

I was 20 a long time ago.

They wouldn't have known  it was going to be such  a large amount.

ranch

Gutted for the girls.

Probably the best they can hope for.

If someone had approached you you'd have considered smuggling drugs from a South American country on board a flight to mainland Europe? Seriously?  :o

Don't attempt to smuggle drugs?

Quote from: Gaffer on August 14, 2013, 12:06:55 AM

They wouldn't have known  it was going to be such  a large amount.

That's hardly a useful defence? Regardless of quantity they still would have been aware of the consequences.

Gaffer

Ok Ranch just lock them up and throw away the key, eh?

No thought for a defence whatsoever considering their age

Just let them suffer in living hell for the next 10 years or so while multiple murderers live in luxury in a so called jail in your own country without protest from you despite the fact you are paying for it through your taxes?

BennyHarp

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on August 14, 2013, 12:52:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nrrqV3TLaY

I can't get my head round how calm they both are! If I'd just been kidnapped by Colombian drug dealers in Ibiza, taken to Morroco, then bundled off to Peru where I was forced to smuggle 11.5kg of drugs through an airport, get caught and face up to 25 years in a South Amerian jail....I think I'd be a tad upset! Those girls look like it hasn't taken a flinch outta them.
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: Gaffer on August 14, 2013, 12:56:26 AM
Ok Ranch just lock them up and throw away the key, eh?

No thought for a defence whatsoever considering their age

Just let them suffer in living hell for the next 10 years or so while multiple murderers live in luxury in a so called jail in your own country without protest from you despite the fact you are paying for it through your taxes?

Eh? They're functioning adults, age shouldn't be a criterion for commuting the sentence.

Are you suggesting the NI government pay the financial penalty of for this woman's incarceration for a crime committed in Peru? What's happening to her is perfectly fair. If she didn't want to risk ending up in a Peruvian hell-hole maybe she shouldn't have tried to smuggle drugs out of Peru.

Unless she was being held at gun-point - and surely if she wanted to she could have alerted someone in the airport to the situation and avoided committing the crime - I doubt too many will have much sympathy for her.

All this talk about 'somebody's daughter'? Yeah, it doesn't change anything.

Asal Mor

I've watched the brilliant "Banged Up Abroad" a few times and it's almost always the young and naive who get sucked into this. They're usually told that it's easy money, you'll just have to bring a kilo, it's totally undetectable and the guards are paid off in any case. Often when they get to their exotic destination they want to pull out ,but it's too late and they're forced to go through with it. They did seem a bit unflustered in the video, but they probably didn't realise how serious it was or how much coke they had. The hysterics kicked in soon afterwards by all accounts.

Often in these cases they get out early and won't serve the full sentence, and it's quite possible they'll get out in 3 or 4 years though because of the large amount they could serve 5 or 6.  Hopefully they'll come out the other side intact and a lot wiser than they were going in. That's what usually happens. So, to put a positive spin on it, in a few years they'll be free, still in their mid-20's, with a lot more sense and a great story to sell. Of course it will feel like the end of the world right now, but they can come through it and be better for it.

Some of the young people caught in "Banged Up Abroad" felt they were set-up. Sacrificial lambs, high profile foreign cases used to show that the local police are fighting against the drug trade, whilst others are allowed to pass through by paid-off airport staff and customs officials. This seems very plausible too when you think about how easily detectable they would have been. 2 young girls going to Peru for just five days is a little suspicious anyway, and 11 kilos ffs? They were never going to get away with that unless everyone was paid off. 

macdanger2

Is it a bit odd that the film of them while they were being questioned was released to the press? It would seem to add credence to the notion that the authorities want to highlight that they are being "tough" on drugs.

T Fearon

Surely filmed as your luggage is searched isn't odd! It provides the concrete evidence that a)you're ok or b) your luggage is filled with drugs and your reaction to this on discovery.

macdanger2

I've never seen cameras there when my luggage was being searched in an airport

T Fearon

Given a high drugs centre like Peru,it is only natural that people are filmed for evidence.Sure a huge proportion of all our daily lives is recorded these days,often by cameras not readily discernible.