Internment Bonfires....our culture... really?

Started by theskull1, August 09, 2013, 08:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

EC Unique

Quote from: WeeDonns on August 09, 2013, 09:54:04 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 09, 2013, 09:39:26 AM
This and Castlederg plays right into the hands of the politicians, the OO and loyalists with their backs against the wall. I would rather see all these events cancelled this year to make loyalism look even worse and republicanism as magnanimous. Lets be honest the bonfires are not a commemoration of anything, they are an excuse for a piss up.

Totally agree

+1

This crowd are as bad as the orange marching scum. Some of the men who were actually interned should speak out against it.

OakleafCounty

Quote from: theticklemister on August 09, 2013, 09:19:51 AM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on August 09, 2013, 08:20:42 AM
It isn't part of any culture of mine just like it isn't part of a lot of protestants culture. People who do that shit are scum no matter what side they think they're on.

ALL scum. Good job we have someone like yourself to cast judgement over everyone else.

Not on everyone. Just hoods running bonfires and creating trouble in this day and age.

glens abu

Quote from: theticklemister on August 09, 2013, 10:06:39 AM
Quote from: sheamy on August 09, 2013, 09:50:42 AM
Take a JCB up to the lower falls and sort this out lads...

"This is not about commemoration or a political expression, but just a focal point for drinking and drug-taking" Paul Maskey SF

Has anyone a quote from Maskey about bonfires 10/15 years ago? Ill give er a go here......

'These bonfires are to commemorate the people who were interned in 1971, they are seen as an act of resistance and are a symbol for everyone throughout the world who are in support of basic human rights. Tonight we commmemorate these people on the Falls Road because it was here that a lot of these men were taken.'

Like to see the proof of this as SF help start Feile An Phobail 25 years ago to bring about a better way of remembering internment ,and have been againist the bonfire culture and the trouble it brings to Nationalist areas for many years.

ziggysego

Absolutely disgusted to see the bonfire, with Loyalist and British symbols on it. It was horrible to see them going up for the 11th night and it's downright shameful and embarrassing to see it being aped by Nationalist / Republicans / Spides (Delete as applicable).
Testing Accessibility

Orior

So it looks like everyone here is not in favour of the bonfire at Divis.

I trust the journo's are reading this.

I said, I trust the journo's are reading this.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

QuoteThis crowd are as bad as the orange marching scum. Some of the men who were actually interned should speak out against it.

Well said.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: EC Unique on August 09, 2013, 10:10:43 AM
Quote from: WeeDonns on August 09, 2013, 09:54:04 AM
This and Castlederg plays right into the hands of the politicians, the OO and loyalists with their backs against the wall. I would rather see all these events cancelled this year to make loyalism look even worse and republicanism as magnanimous. Lets be honest the bonfires are not a commemoration of anything, they are an excuse for a piss up.

Totally agree

+1

This crowd are as bad as the orange marching scum. Some of the men who were actually interned should speak out against it.

Spot on. Aping themmuns idiocy is still idiocy.
MWWSI 2017

Onion Bag

This country is a shite hole! the whole world must be having a right laugh!
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Nally Stand

Quote from: Onion Bag on August 09, 2013, 03:07:01 PM

You're falling into the mindset of loyalism, which thinks Ulster is the centre of the universe and that the whole world is watching it on the news daily. The "whole world" doesn't know what happens here, let alone give two fiddlers. 200 people could be killed in Syria in one day, but if a stone is thrown in Belfast, UTV/BBCNI will talk on and on about "the images of Belfast being beamed around the world tonight". Laughable!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Onion Bag

Sorry Nally but i have travelled a fair bit round the world and believe it or not there are other news stations than the bbc and utv and they show the riots and the bonfires and the usual shite that happens, so the rest of the world do see what goes on round here
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Tubberman

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 09, 2013, 03:21:14 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on August 09, 2013, 03:07:01 PM

You're falling into the mindset of loyalism, which thinks Ulster is the centre of the universe and that the whole world is watching it on the news daily. The "whole world" doesn't know what happens here, let alone give two fiddlers. 200 people could be killed in Syria in one day, but if a stone is thrown in Belfast, UTV/BBCNI will talk on and on about "the images of Belfast being beamed around the world tonight". Laughable!

So ye can make gobshites of yourselves without a care, because nobody else is watching?
Remember this the next time you come lecturing those of us in the south about how we run our affairs.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Puckoon

As it was pointed out RE: the 'derg - it is their right, therefore it's right.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Onion Bag on August 09, 2013, 03:46:38 PM
Sorry Nally but i have travelled a fair bit round the world and believe it or not there are other news stations than the bbc and utv and they show the riots and the bonfires and the usual shite that happens, so the rest of the world do see what goes on round here

As have I, funny enough! Not too many see or care what happens here when there are much bigger world news stories!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Yep, republicans really are are grasping defeat from the jaws of victory on these issues. Loyalists make a show of themselves on Twaddell Ave and in Woodvale Park, but rather than leave them at it, we can now balance the books a bit with bonfires and marches on the other side.

As for the title of the thread - "our culture... really?", well no, it's not mine.