Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 04, 2013, 10:39:17 AM
I am surprised at some of the games Colm Keys has chosen in his top 10 games.
Certainly wouldn't have thought he'd have picked an Armagh v Tyrone game.

I see Wooly (Colm Parkinson) is also speaking out about pundits telling managers how to play the game.

I for one thought sundays game was entertaining, exciting, how not to defend (worse than the stuff Meath, Tyrone or Donegal were ever accused of), poorly organised and not of a high enough standard to make a 2000-2013 top ten, never mind all time.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Nally Stand on September 03, 2013, 12:22:21 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 02, 2013, 09:02:04 PM
What was great about yesterday ist hat  you had both teams playing attacking football & both teams were actually willing to kick the football.

The main reason more teams don't play this way is because the players are not good enough to do it. Teams like Donegal/Tyrone are full of athletes who can run up and down the pitch all day hand passing the ball to each other.

Football over the last few years has morphed into a game more like rugby/basketball. Players only kick the ball as a last resort. All about hand passing the ball & not giving it away by taking a risk & kicking it.

Jim Gavin criticized & called naive for such attacking tactics. I say fair play to him. Have been a joy to watch all season compared to negative tactics employed both the majority of other count sides, especially the cynical stuff from Tyrone

Take off the blinkers and stop repeating what you hear on the Sunday Game. There are enough sheep in the country doing that already. As alluded to previously, Tyrone were the only quarter finalists to have been fouled more than committed fouls through their games this year. Sundays game had as much cynicism and more as any other game. Eye gouging, wrestling, hauling down, tripping, mouthing, late tackles...the game was abundant with cynicism. I posted the pictures to prove it. I also posted the pictures to show that this notion that the game was played on a rigidly man to man basis is another fallacy. Dublin in particular repeatedly swarmed the man on the ball. I don't know which is more pathetic, the refusal to admit the cynicism etc or the sanctimonious attitude oozing from some dublin posters all of a sudden. Ye have won one All Ireland in 18 years and won it playing defensively. One highly cynical but high scoring game against Kerry in a semi final and ye are patting yourselves on the back as being the guardians of all that is good about Gaelic football.
youre pictures prove nothing but your post suggest you don't know a good game when you see one ! Are you blinded by inner bitterness and anger?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

If that game had of been between Roscommon and Wexford, Offaly and Sligo or Antrim and Clare those teams would have been called naive, torn apart by the very same media for being defensively poor and in danger of a tanking the next day.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

INDIANA

What was great about yesterday ist hat  you had both teams playing attacking football & both teams were actually willing to kick the football.

The main reason more teams don't play this way is because the players are not good enough to do it. Teams like Donegal/Tyrone are full of athletes who can run up and down the pitch all day hand passing the ball to each other.

Football over the last few years has morphed into a game more like rugby/basketball. Players only kick the ball as a last resort. All about hand passing the ball & not giving it away by taking a risk & kicking it.

Jim Gavin criticized & called naive for such attacking tactics. I say fair play to him. Have been a joy to watch all season compared to negative tactics employed both the majority of other count sides, especially the cynical stuff from Tyrone

Take off the blinkers and stop repeating what you hear on the Sunday Game. There are enough sheep in the country doing that already. As alluded to previously, Tyrone were the only quarter finalists to have been fouled more than committed fouls through their games this year. Sundays game had as much cynicism and more as any other game. Eye gouging, wrestling, hauling down, tripping, mouthing, late tackles...the game was abundant with cynicism. I posted the pictures to prove it. I also posted the pictures to show that this notion that the game was played on a rigidly man to man basis is another fallacy. Dublin in particular repeatedly swarmed the man on the ball. I don't know which is more pathetic, the refusal to admit the cynicism etc or the sanctimonious attitude oozing from some dublin posters all of a sudden. Ye have won one All Ireland in 18 years and won it playing defensively. One highly cynical but high scoring game against Kerry in a semi final and ye are patting yourselves on the back as being the guardians of all that is good about Gaelic football.

Don't try and lump us in with your cynical play. We all saw the Tyrone minors on Sunday. Systematically being coached in Tyrone.

I don't agree with Brolly on much but i agree with him on that.

Wildweasel74

the Gooch is up there in the top 3 of all time forwards, but i still edge to Matt Connor who lead scoring records in the country for 4 or 5 yrs on the trot before it ended all at the age of 26 with a car accident. Had he played to his 30`s he would have broke all time scoring records

muppet

I don't think Gooch is ahead of either Canavan or Maurice.

Great, great player, but those men carried weak teams.
MWWSI 2017

maigheo

I see Darragh O Shea is making lots of new friends in Tyrone with his column in the Times today ;) ;)

From the Bunker

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 04, 2013, 06:43:05 PM
If that game had of been between Roscommon and Wexford, Offaly and Sligo or Antrim and Clare those teams would have been called naive, torn apart by the very same media for being defensively poor and in danger of a tanking the next day.

The Barbarians v the All Blacks game in 1973. Liverpool v Newcastle in 1996. Are seen as classic free flowing, high scoring games. But they have one thing in common. Poor defenses! Now that is not a bad thing as we need excitement in sport. But as you say, If this game had been between lesser glamorous counties, with a smaller crowd there would be little or no notice taken. I notice Keys has all the Classic games involving Kerry ending on the losing side. Still all this attention on Dublin has been great for Horan. The people in Mayo have came down a notch with expectation. The Display v Donegal has been well forgotten and Mayo are presently seen as a squad with no forward line and no bench.

Blowitupref

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 04, 2013, 08:19:00 PM

The Barbarians v the All Blacks game in 1973. Liverpool v Newcastle in 1996. Are seen as classic free flowing, high scoring games. But they have one thing in common. Poor defenses! Now that is not a bad thing as we need excitement in sport. But as you say, If this game had been between lesser glamorous counties, with a smaller crowd there would be little or no notice taken. I notice Keys has all the Classic games involving Kerry ending on the losing side. Still all this attention on Dublin has been great for Horan. The people in Mayo have came down a notch with expectation. The Display v Donegal has been well forgotten and Mayo are presently seen as a squad with no forward line and no bench.

You could also say the high scores Mayo produced against Donegal,Galway,London was because of poor defending do you think Dublin will defend as poor as those sides did against you?  On Sunday Dublins defense did struggle to cope v Cooper and co however Jim Gavin made the changes at half time and Kerry only managed 0-6 in the 2nd half.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Nally Stand

Quote from: INDIANA on September 04, 2013, 06:47:12 PM

Don't try and lump us in with your cynical play. We all saw the Tyrone minors on Sunday. Systematically being coached in Tyrone.

As if proof were needed that you just repeat what you hear on the Sunday Game, right down to the very adjective describing the alleged coaching style  ::)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: Johnnybegood on September 04, 2013, 06:09:03 PM

youre pictures prove nothing but your post suggest you don't know a good game when you see one ! Are you blinded by inner bitterness and anger?
I think those busting a gut trying to overstate the entertainment value of the game are doing so out of bitterness. Tyrone weren't playing yet almost all of those straining at the bit to talk about this being a great game seem to be determined to talk about Tyrone. Even Spillane at half-time for some reason. The argument has been made that the game had rigidly one-to-one man marking and was not cynical. Aside from the sheer number of yellow cards, my pictures provide a sample of evidence of swarming defending and of cynical fouling (cynical fouling which included eye gouging, tripping, hauling down, off the ball wrestling on the pitch, etc etc etc. I have stated numerous times that it was an entertaining game, but one of the best ever and free from cynicism? Don't make me laugh!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

J OGorman

Mods. ..please ban all Tyrone whingers for 1 week and I'll put an extra £5er into the poor box

CK_Redhand

Quote from: Nally Stand on September 04, 2013, 09:03:01 PM

As if proof were needed that you just repeat what you hear on the Sunday Game, right down to the very adjective describing the alleged coaching style  ::)
That's an adverb

nrico2006

Tyrone are no different than any other team.  I haven't actually seen anything more cynical than what Paddy Andrews was at on the Kerry mans back at the weekend.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

From the Bunker

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 04, 2013, 08:42:04 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 04, 2013, 08:19:00 PM

You could also say the high scores Mayo produced against Donegal,Galway,London was because of poor defending do you think Dublin will defend as poor as those sides did against you?  On Sunday Dublins defense did struggle to cope v Cooper and co however Jim Gavin made the changes at half time and Kerry only managed 0-6 in the 2nd half.

For your sake i should hope not (and in our case i should hope so)! Three goals conceded in 20 minutes is kamikaze defending.