Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Some of the defending wasn't great however it was the game of year. I said before the game that Dublin will need to call upon McManamon,Rock to win this game and thats how it turned out.  Kerry more than matched the Dublin throughout that game its a  shame we didn't get a replay.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 02, 2013, 01:23:46 AM
Some of the defending wasn't great however it was the game of year. I said before the game that Dublin will need to call upon McManamon,Rock to win this game and thats how it turned out.  Kerry more than matched the Dublin throughout that game its a  shame we didn't get a replay.

Those old bones would have needed more than six days to recover from that.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on September 02, 2013, 01:27:21 AM

You would think your opinion on Kerry would have changed after that game but no.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 02, 2013, 01:37:44 AM

You would think your opinion on Kerry would have changed after that game but no.

Why would it have changed?

As I said, Kerry would huff and puff (which in Kerry terms means playing beautiful football) but the legs would tire and I knew they had no one on the bench to change the game, no matter how many times people swore blind that David Moran or Star were game-changers.

The legs did tire in the last 15 and despite two quick passages of play that gave them a 20-19 lead with about five to go the worm had already turned and Kerry looked ragged at the back, and perhaps more tellingly, contesting breaking ball. Kevin Mc's goal wasn't Dublin's first sniff of the net in the final quarter.

Dublin won by seven in the end, let us not forget. Ros have had enough moral victories for me to know how little they are worth.

A classic game, but young v. old was the story before the game and it was the reason for the predictability of the result too.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on September 02, 2013, 01:55:41 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 02, 2013, 01:37:44 AM

Why would it have changed?

As I said, Kerry would huff and puff (which in Kerry terms means playing beautiful football) but the legs would tire and I knew they had no one on the bench to change the game, no matter how many times people swore blind that David Moran or Star were game-changers.

The legs did tire in the last 15 and despite two quick passages of play that gave them a 20-19 lead with about five to go the worm had already turned and Kerry looked ragged at the back, and perhaps more tellingly, contesting breaking ball. Kevin Mc's goal wasn't Dublin's first sniff of the net in the final quarter.

Dublin won by seven in the end, let us not forget. Ros have had enough moral victories for me to know how little they are worth.

A classic game, but young v. old was the story before the game and it was the reason for the predictability of the result too.

Last three scores made it seven point win however it wasn't a seven point game, far from it. You wrote Kerry off and you thought this game would be long over before the 70th minute. Dublin were pushed all the way they couldn't have asked for better test before the final and the Dublin bench won the game for them.

lawnseed

Kerry did what they said they were going to do, they put pressure on cluxton and Dublin couldn't handle it. so there's hope for mayo(not much). in the end Kerry ran out of steam and Dublin had slightly more on the bench. cant understand why nobody has cottoned on to mcmenamin he only has one game and hes not a big player francie would have put him in the stand that is if geezer hadn't done it first..
star has lost it.. gooch is a legend, o se lost his speed. galvin trousers too tight.. Kerry in transition
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

INDIANA

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 01, 2013, 11:49:12 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 01, 2013, 10:36:13 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 01, 2013, 10:28:23 PM
It was IMO a better game. You don't have to be strong AI contenders to help deliver your part in a cracking contest and the 2001 game saw both teams be more cohesive in their play with less wides, less unforced errors, less cynicism and more open play (Dublin's shocking start today saw them retreat more men at the back after the first quarter as well as engage with the "multi-man" surrounding the opponent with the ball that you seemingly despise, especially in the second half). It's also a disservice to the Dublin 2001 team when you consider the odds were stacked against Kerry today in a similar fashion before the match, if not more so. I don't need to point out how this Dublin 2013 team is not some sort of pure virginal form of football sanctuary - plenty of other here have already done that. Nor how the 2013 team is better than the 2001 side. But better teams on paper don't necessarily deliver better games. Once the tide of the occasion has went back out to shore and copies of the Evening Herald removed from orifices, if today's game is to be labelled a classic it'll be IMO in the same vein as many labelled as such from the 70's and 80's. And they haven't aged well.

You know for allegedly being steeped in the tradition of the GAA I'm constantly amazed by Ulster's total intransigence to other styles of football

Let me spell out for you and the other contributors. This Dublin team have a different philosophy to the Northern teams. We accept under this style of football we're going to concede scores. This doesn't make our defenders worse then yours- it simply makes them more vunerable.  Your lads have the luxury of 10 men in defence- ours don't.

We're setup to attack. you are to defend. The reality is people prefer high scoring games. That's what excites people. Is someone a good defender with 10 men in front of them? Highly debatable.

But at least the Roscommon minors today made some effort to play Gaelic Football because Tyrone certainly didn't. If that's the Ulster Manual Coaching for future success you're welcome to it.

I'll take our style any day of the week. And if it wins us nothing- so be it. Gaelic Football has to address some balance of giving attacking football a chance in the game. Rather then glorifying the cynics and hatchet men the current system has glorifed for too long.
Indiana, I try my best to not insult the intelligence of posters unless they really deserve it, so I will reply assuming you are still on a high after the win over Kerry this weekend.

Dublin's current style of play is a simple evolution of the style of play that has been going at the top levels for a number of years. It isn't exactly revolutionary or plucked out of a bygone age, and has been moulded through different managers over the years. The style of play Dublin applied in winning the All-Ireland in 2011 was arguably more defensive that Tyrone have ever played under Mickey Harte. In fact I was in awe after the game as to how Dublin, for the sake of pundit language, out-Tyroned Tyrone. The only problem was that such a defensive set up led to fears about the semi against Donegal being a low scoring affair due to two heavily defensive set ups and that ended up being the case - albeit not helped by the Dublin forwards having a very poor game with only two Dublin points from play. So from your POV about how you view "Ulster's total intransigence to other styles of football" (not that there is one uniform style of football practised in Ulster), to say "This Dublin team have a different philosophy to the Northern teams" is rubbish. A different style? Yes, but that doesn't dismiss that this current Dublin side are happy enough to apply blanket defences and crowd bodies around an opponent with possession or into a small area where possession is being contested. This was visible on TV, god only knows what it would have been to view it at the upper tiers of Croke Park. IMO The mistake early on Dublin made was expecting Kerry to not have a significantly different game plan to what they had against Cavan, the rest after the first 20 minutes of the game is well covered already. So no bluffing about "Your lads have the luxury of 10 men in defence- ours don't". I don't have much time for slabbers or cute hoors.

As for "We're setup to attack. you are to defend. The reality is people prefer high scoring games. That's what excites people. Is someone a good defender with 10 men in front of them? Highly debatable", the 2003 Tyrone side you rubbish earlier in this thread chalked up the following scores in their championship matches... 0-12, 0-17, 1-17, 1-17, 0-23, 1-21, 0-13, 0-12. I'll leave others to judge wherever they think such scorelines racked up are of a team that are heavily defensive minded. Also, I'm sure you meant to say "Is someone a good defender with 10 men behind them?"

As for the slur on our minor team - I only got to see parts of the game today (long last couple of weeks for me, but that's nobody else's business) but one thing I noticed during the course of the game is that Tyrone played better later in the course of the game by getting rid of the sweeper and it ultimately won them the game. If I want to go down the road of lazy stereotypes myself, maybe if you had been in Croke Park or turned on the telly more than five minutes before the Senior throw-in, you would have noticed this.

And if we want to talk about "glorifying the cynics and hatchet", there's a ready made line-up of Dublin players from the past that are ready to enter that hall-of-fame.

Finally, before you say that I should not compare the playing style of Dublin teams of the past to the 2013 Dublin team, I would also point out that it would be just as dishonest to use any other county team before this year as an example to suit ones prejudices.

For myself, I appreciate both good attacking and good defending in the vein of good shots on target, good tackles, good tactics, good passes, good saves, good blocks etc. What has been shown plenty of times over the years is that teams that focus too heavily of defensive work will hit a wall at some point. To win an All-Ireland you have to be capable of adapting your game play to suit the match that you are in at the big moments for when it is called for. Dublin actually did that today, like it or not.

From a Tyrone POV, the county teams getting to an All-Ireland semi-final, a NFL Division 1 final, a McKenna Cup and the minors getting to the All-Ireland final hasn't been a bad innings. The only major disappointment is at Under 21 level which is something I think needs attention after a series of underacheving over the years.

If you have a reply that has substance, then feel free. Otherwise that's it from me. Quote The Biff.

The Tyrone team in 2003 will only ever be remembered for that game in 2003 against kerry. Sad but unfortunately it was an awful game to watch. I was at it. But it was a pity that a fine football team will only be remembered for that. They did play good football in the other games but were too negative at times. They were trying to get over the line and they won.

I thought your minor team were ultra negative. If Roscommon had taken their taken their chances they'd have won the game. I think any neutral would have said the same. If that's your template then good luck to you because it won't be a successful one at senior level anymore. You can't take any criticism  of any of your teams it seems. But it was a poor semi final in my opinion.

Armagh tried to play football this year and were lacerated by every Northern critic because of it. Crossmaglen have done it relatively successfully recently as well. I would hope Grimley sticks to what he knows and doesn't listen to these critics. There is a different way to play the game and thankfully some counties have been brave enough to do so.

Too many bad county teams and club teams in recent years have resorted to playing 13 men behind the ball and won nothing. But they continued to do it because we were told- you couldn't win anything without it. When you see u16 club teams playing 12 men behind the ball as I've seen in recent years- you know the game is up.

Gaelic Football was heading for the abyss until this year. We can thank our lucky stars some football managers have said enough is enough and restored some of the true values of the game. If that doesn't sit well with you -fine Maybe you need to broaden your horizons on how the game should be played.

But anyone who tries to tell me the 2001 Dublin and Kerry game was better then that yesterday- because they felt yesterday lacked intensity is kidding themselves. If tyrone had played Kerry yesterday and won 3-18 and 3-11 it would have been the greatest game of all-time. But because it's dublin that's not allowed.

The great thing is its not just Dublin. Mayo have played fabulous football this year as well. Kerry like-wise. And as I said above Armagh tried to and Crossmaglen have been really good under Mc Entee.

When Barcelona win matches 4-3 we talk about attacking football. But when Gaelic Football teams try the same we always say "you can't play like that"

rrhf

Dublin won the game because cooper took out cooper and Kerry didn't rip down mcmenamen. Dublin cheated and it paid off

Shamrock Shore

I was asked a while back to explain "auld northern shite"

I would have thought it was quite obvious to most on here....

Negative tactics
Blanket defence
Sledging

etc etc

What we saw yesterday was glorious in its simplicity -  reminded me of the old Brazil mantra of the 70s and 80s. Hey, you may score 2 but we'll score 3.

For neutrals (well for me anyhoo) this is the way football is meant to be. Some others may like the chess like way to approach football....I certainly don't.
The game had its faults but no game is 100% perfect. But this was as close as we are likely to see.

On a final note I don't think we'll see Donaghy in a Kerry jersey again. And I don't think too many will miss him

highorlow

QuoteOn a final note I don't think we'll see Donaghy in a Kerry jersey again. And I don't think too many will miss him

That's a bit of a harsh thing to say about a guy who has given up a lot for the game.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Christmas Lights

Quote from: highorlow on September 02, 2013, 09:59:52 AM
QuoteOn a final note I don't think we'll see Donaghy in a Kerry jersey again. And I don't think too many will miss him

That's a bit of a harsh thing to say about a guy who has given up a lot for the game.

He also got a player of the year???

AMayoFan

What a match yesterday.  Easily the game of the year, and the best game I've seen in years.  I expected Kerry to run out of steam and I don't think that happened yesterday.  Maybe a little harsh, but I think K McManamon goal was lucky.  I was screaming for him to put it over and was shocked when it hit the net. Also Dublin Cooper may possible should have been sent off.  In any case, Dublin defensive was excellent at times (which seems madness to say when the team coincided 3-11) .  Kerry quick ball really made it hard for Dublin to setup defensively, but when they did manage I think it was excellent.  Unfortunately, the gloss on Cluxton championship year is definitely taken away.  Forced into allot poor kickouts.  Another bad day and a sublime performance from Rob Hennelly may (& i mean a big may) put his All-Star in danger.

Fair play to Kerry, better luck next year. 

Now time to absorb yesterday and move to Mayo v Dublin thread. 

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: rrhf on September 02, 2013, 07:52:27 AM
Dublin won the game because cooper took out cooper and Kerry didn't rip down mcmenamen. Dublin cheated and it paid off

ffs ......................... ::)

Nally Stand

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 02, 2013, 09:41:53 AM
I was asked a while back to explain "auld northern shite"

I would have thought it was quite obvious to most on here....

Negative tactics
Blanket defence
Sledging

etc etc

What we saw yesterday was glorious in its simplicity -  reminded me of the old Brazil mantra of the 70s and 80s. Hey, you may score 2 but we'll score 3.

For neutrals (well for me anyhoo) this is the way football is meant to be. Some others may like the chess like way to approach football....I certainly don't.
The game had its faults but no game is 100% perfect. But this was as close as we are likely to see.

On a final note I don't think we'll see Donaghy in a Kerry jersey again. And I don't think too many will miss him

Drivel of the highest order. This game had CHRONIC defending, a multitude of errors, eye gouging, tripping, hauling down, sledging, frontal charges, third man tackles, head high 'tackles', players wrestling on the ground off the ball, I don't know how many yellow cards. Was this just typical "auld eastern shite"? Or "auld south-western shite"?

A good game indeed, but highly cynical, poor defending and error strewn? Undeniably.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore