Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flutehook

Quote from: INDIANA on September 01, 2013, 10:19:37 PM

I'd take today over the rubbish Donegal offered in 2011 trying to beat us. If we want anything from the game going forward anyone with any interest in the GAA would take today over that calamity.

There were two non-attacking teams that day Indy - BB performed in splendid isolation that day as a one man FF line for most of that match. It wasn't until Lacey got injured and Kevin Mc came on and ran the ball into space that we looked proactive.

Mayo have also become hardened and cynical under Horan - the main reasons they're not being fancied to shit their AI cacks as per usual.

INDIANA

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 01, 2013, 10:28:23 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 01, 2013, 10:03:40 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 01, 2013, 09:57:51 PM
Once the hype of the occasion dies down, maybe more level heads will look over the game again. There's little point in making rational points on the standard of the game in terms of play, point and goal taking etc. on here because there's little point in discussing matters with such hard of thinking idiots who wish to self-confirm their own prejudices instead. That's definitely not to say that it wasn't an entertaining game with some great play, high drama and good scores, but there was some of the less desirable e.g. Kerry's wasted opportunities for points that eventually came back to haunt them, Johnny Cooper lucky to stay on after his trip on Colm Cooper, and other points gone over ad nausem elsewhere. Definitely a strong candidate for MOTY but perhaps more a reflection on the standard of championship football this year - I saw the 2001 All-Ireland Quarter Final first game between Kerry and Dublin in Thurles on TG4 recently and IMO it was a better game overall than today's match up.

it was in its arse a better game. that was probably the poorest dublin team in 20 years in 2001. Dublin were hammered off the park that day. Only by God's grace and two lucky goals we stayed in it.

If you're going to analyse something at least do it properly and save us the dross.
It was IMO a better game. You don't have to be strong AI contenders to help deliver your part in a cracking contest and the 2001 game saw both teams be more cohesive in their play with less wides, less unforced errors, less cynicism and more open play (Dublin's shocking start today saw them retreat more men at the back after the first quarter as well as engage with the "multi-man" surrounding the opponent with the ball that you seemingly despise, especially in the second half). It's also a disservice to the Dublin 2001 team when you consider the odds were stacked against Kerry today in a similar fashion before the match, if not more so. I don't need to point out how this Dublin 2013 team is not some sort of pure virginal form of football sanctuary - plenty of other here have already done that. Nor how the 2013 team is better than the 2001 side. But better teams on paper don't necessarily deliver better games. Once the tide of the occasion has went back out to shore and copies of the Evening Herald removed from orifices, if today's game is to be labelled a classic it'll be IMO in the same vein as many labelled as such from the 70's and 80's. And they haven't aged well.

You know for allegedly being steeped in the tradition of the GAA I'm constantly amazed by Ulster's total intransigence to other styles of football

Let me spell out for you and the other contributors. This Dublin team have a different philosophy to the Northern teams. We accept under this style of football we're going to concede scores. This doesn't make our defenders worse then yours- it simply makes them more vunerable.  Your lads have the luxury of 10 men in defence- ours don't.

We're setup to attack. you are to defend. The reality is people prefer high scoring games. That's what excites people. Is someone a good defender with 10 men in front of them? Highly debatable.

But at least the Roscommon minors today made some effort to play Gaelic Football because Tyrone certainly didn't. If that's the Ulster Manual Coaching for future success you're welcome to it.

I'll take our style any day of the week. And if it wins us nothing- so be it. Gaelic Football has to address some balance of giving attacking football a chance in the game. Rather then glorifying the cynics and hatchet men the current system has glorifed for too long.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: muppet on September 01, 2013, 10:24:25 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 01, 2013, 10:23:21 PM
Colm Cooper or Dermot Connolly for MOM ?

Gooch gave a display that will live long in the memory. Connolly didn't but still gets MOM.

The winner takes it all clearly.

I don't like Connelly but I thought he was very important for Dublin today.

Agreed, I thought he was very good. Anyone think there was a foul in midfield just before the McManmon goal. When I wound it back I felt there was a push in the back which was missed
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on September 01, 2013, 10:24:25 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 01, 2013, 10:23:21 PM
Colm Cooper or Dermot Connolly for MOM ?

Gooch gave a display that will live long in the memory. Connolly didn't but still gets MOM.

The winner takes it all clearly.

I don't like Connelly but I thought he was very important for Dublin today.

Connolly certainly was important for Dublin today. Was anyone better than Gooch Cooper today ? Not a chance. But fair play to Connolly he took some great scores and stood tall when needed.

PS Tomas O'Se had a fair decent game as well.

J OGorman

Another thread polluted by Tyrone bitterness. Look, it was a great game of football played hard and for the most part fair. A joy to watch the likes of the Gooch and the O'Se's put in vintage performances in the twilight of their careers. Dublin will be to the fore for the years ahead...time for others to stand up

Hopefully the final is as good as it will be a great end to the season. Money is on Mayo but she could swing either way

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on September 01, 2013, 10:09:08 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 01, 2013, 09:23:04 PM
How can anyone complain about that game? It had almost everything that makes Gaelic footballs great game.

None of yer aul Northern shite anywhere in evidence.

Here's to a fantastic final

+1
Especially about the Nordie shite.

LL, you remind me of one of those gay bashers, who turns out to be secretly gay themselves.

Secretly, I reckon you're a Northern wannabe. Like all you Laois folk.

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on September 01, 2013, 10:00:30 PM
Declan O Sullivan had a chance to kick what may have been a winner in the 69 minute. It was that close.

Yeah, that shot looked like it was sailing over but tailed away - could have been a different result if it went over.

Quote from: BennyCake on September 01, 2013, 09:48:28 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on September 01, 2013, 09:28:44 PM
Aul northern shite. Could you explain please?

Yes, do explain.

"Aul" - a colloquial version of the adjective "old" meaning "having existed for a long time or no longer young". Antonym = "young"
"Northern" - another adjective, this time meaning "situated in the north, directed toward or facing the north". Antonym = "South"
"shite" - a colloquial version of the noun "shit" meaning "exrement or faeces". Considered a vulgar word. No generally accepted antonym

If there are any other words ye're not clear on lads, let me know and I'll be glad to oblige

Club Rossa

Colm Cooper was a joy to watch today.One of the all time greats.

BennyCake

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 01, 2013, 10:45:07 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 01, 2013, 10:00:30 PM
Declan O Sullivan had a chance to kick what may have been a winner in the 69 minute. It was that close. 

Yeah, that shot looked like it was sailing over but tailed away - could have been a different result if it went over.

Quote from: BennyCake on September 01, 2013, 09:48:28 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on September 01, 2013, 09:28:44 PM
Aul northern shite. Could you explain please?

Yes, do explain.

"Aul" - a colloquial version of the adjective "old" meaning "having existed for a long time or no longer young". Antonym = "young"
"Northern" - another adjective, this time meaning "situated in the north, directed toward or facing the north". Antonym = "South"
"shite" - a colloquial version of the noun "shit" meaning "exrement or faeces". Considered a vulgar word. No generally accepted antonym

If there are any other words ye're not clear on lads, let me know and I'll be glad to oblige

Hilarious  ::)

Anything to avoid answering my post.

bucko

Only just seen the highlights as was working this afternoon. Hard to judge from the highlights what the midfield battle was like, but from what I could make out Kerry set out as I thought and from the start moved the ball into the full forward line early and often to set up as many one on ones as possible and the Dublin full back line struggled for a long period. Dublins running and attacking game kept them in it in the first half along with Bernard Brogan's point taking, thought he was superb. Poor decision making in front of goal still seemed to be evident, McCauleys point when Brogan was wide open the most glaring example. However Dublins pace soon took it's toll, it looked as tho Kerry visibly tired going into the last quarter and Dublin kicked for home. From what I could see it did look a cracking game, however 2 trends that have been there all summer continued, Dublin's ropey full back line and Kerry's 2nd half fade out. The former might scupper Dublin while the latter definitely went against Kerry.

Whishtup

Dublin won this game on how they controlled the breaking ball near the end-sometimes calmly palming it to on-rushing team-mates-accelerates a play so much that it's very hard to defend against.  Enjoyable game-a real shoot-out.  Poor defending and tackling throughout, though-neither side will be happy about this.  If we had the forwards from this week and the defenders from last week-that would be some game!

Sorry Mayo but Dublin's to lose.

Declan

Just home. That was without doubt the best game of football I've been at. Forget the 77 semi, the Mayo semi,any of the 91 games v Meath, the 2011 final , this had everything. Two teams trying to outscore each other. Yes there were mistakes but my God there was skill ,bravery , honest effort and unreal scores and I take my hat off to Colm Cooper who is without doubt the best footballer I have ever seen play the game. I'll try to give a more "sober " analysis over the next few days but I was sitting beside an american guy who just could not believe what he was watching and said it was one of the best sporting events he has ever attended. COYBIB and as Brendan said Fck the begrudgers

laoislad

Quote from: BennyCake on September 01, 2013, 10:44:08 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 01, 2013, 10:09:08 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 01, 2013, 09:23:04 PM
How can anyone complain about that game? It had almost everything that makes Gaelic footballs great game.

None of yer aul Northern shite anywhere in evidence.

Here's to a fantastic final

+1
Especially about the Nordie shite.

LL, you remind me of one of those gay bashers, who turns out to be secretly gay themselves.

Secretly, I reckon you're a Northern wannabe. Like all you Laois folk.

Alot of Nordies made their home in Laois in the 1970's and 80's......
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

yellowcard

Quote from: Declan on September 01, 2013, 11:15:06 PM
Just home. That was without doubt the best game of football I've been at. Forget the 77 semi, the Mayo semi,any of the 91 games v Meath, the 2011 final , this had everything. Two teams trying to outscore each other. Yes there were mistakes but my God there was skill ,bravery , honest effort and unreal scores and I take my hat off to Colm Cooper who is without doubt the best footballer I have ever seen play the game. I'll try to give a more "sober " analysis over the next few days but I was sitting beside an american guy who just could not believe what he was watching and said it was one of the best sporting events he has ever attended. COYBIB and as Brendan said Fck the begrudgers

Enjoy the win but I think you must be the worst for wear. Best game ever? Come on. This Kerry team are about 3 years past there best and done well to put up such a good showing today but if you ever get a chance to watch the match again you will realise that it was error strewn. Not that it wasn't an enjoyable match, but if it hadn't been a Dublin v Kerry game and if there were 10,000 people at it I don't think anyone would be making such claims.

Syferus

Random highlights from the day:

The video package of Heffo and Paudi and the round of applause by everyone in the ground. Emotional and perfectly timed.

The Zorb relay at half-time in the senior game. One Dublin team, one Kerry team. The poor Dub ladeen got thrown over inside in his ball almost immediately and his team-mates spent the entire first lap rolling him around in the ball like as if he was in a tumble drier while the Kerry lad stayed on his feet and raced into an insurmountable lead. Never laughed my arse off more at a half-time display before. The cap was the Dublin Zorb deflating and them trying desperately to finish the last lap of the replay while the Kerry lads where being congratulated by the MC.

The spontaneous round of applause for Seamus Heaney was an absolutely unforgettable moment and a wonderful reflection on the country.

The Gooch is the best player to play the game I have ever seen and most likely the best of all-time.

The Dub supporters. Mad as a can of Cakes and all the better for it.