Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

dont think no ones denying alot of the not so nice things of gaelic were evident today, there was the usual mouthing especially the dub full bck line, the keeper did not seem to be hit in the face when he went down, about 4/5 drag down tackles too, i think the fact the game was open and lead to many scores over shadow the usual crap that went on that comes to the fore when a game is off poor standard and all the negative stuff comes to the fore as there is nothing of quality to talk about. Besides the decade only started 2010/11 so there hasnt been to many stand out games in the past 2yrs

INDIANA

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 01, 2013, 09:57:51 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on September 01, 2013, 09:28:44 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 01, 2013, 09:23:04 PM
How can anyone complain about that game? It had almost everything that makes Gaelic footballs great game.

None of yer aul Northern shite anywhere in evidence.

Here's to a fantastic final

Aul northern shite. Could you explain please?
Once the hype of the occasion dies down, maybe more level heads will look over the game again. There's little point in making rational points on the standard of the game in terms of play, point and goal taking etc. on here because there's little point in discussing matters with such hard of thinking idiots who wish to self-confirm their own prejudices instead. That's definitely not to say that it wasn't an entertaining game with some great play, high drama and good scores, but there was some of the less desirable e.g. Kerry's wasted opportunities for points that eventually came back to haunt them, Johnny Cooper lucky to stay on after his trip on Colm Cooper, and other points gone over ad nausem elsewhere. Definitely a strong candidate for MOTY but perhaps more a reflection on the standard of championship football this year - I saw the 2001 All-Ireland Quarter Final first game between Kerry and Dublin in Thurles on TG4 recently and IMO it was a better game overall than today's match up.

it was in its arse a better game. that was probably the poorest dublin team in 20 years in 2001. Dublin were hammered off the park that day. Only by God's grace and two lucky goals we stayed in it.

If you're going to analyse something at least do it properly and save us the dross.

thewobbler

Quote from: INDIANA on September 01, 2013, 09:59:28 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2013, 09:57:58 PM
That was a wonderfully entertaining game of football.

But Dublin scored 3.18. Think about this, they kicked 3.18 in an AI semi final. It wasn't like Mayo va Tyrone in 2004 when everything they did turned to gold. They kicked 9 wides, put 4 in the keeper's hands, and mucked up the final pass on a few occasions more.

So they had 35+ scoring attempts in 70 minutes of football.

You folks can wax lyrical all you like calling this a classic. But any football match that produces 35 scoring opportunities at one end can mean one thing only: substandard opposition. Players incapable of man-marking, teams incapable of stemming a tide.

This was not a classic.

Tyrone Kerry 2005 and 2008, those were classics.

This is the new Gaelic Football wobbler and you lads ain't able to play it.

Go away and watch your videos from 05 and 08. We won't miss you ;D

I'm not from Tyrone. But I do have tremendous respect for how they put away a sensational Kerry side in 2008.

I can tell you something else. If Dublin face Mayo with the same game plan in 3 weeks time, they'll get slaughtered.

moysider

Quote from: Flutehook on September 01, 2013, 09:56:31 PM
How can anyone complain about that game? It had almost everything that makes Gaelic footballs great game.

I'm hoarse from roaring on Dublin today and still buzzing from what was a brilliant occasion - and one that will live a long time with me.

But, from both sides, I saw rugby tackles, third man tackles, sly follow-throughs, diving, digging, a possible gouging, plenty of verbals, lots of off-the-ball stuff and time wasting too - no clothesliners or spitting noted but a fair degree of hypocrisy about all the same.

Any fish-hooking? Not so bad so.

Syferus

But Dublin scored 3.18. Think about this, they kicked 3.18 in an AI semi final. It wasn't like Mayo va Tyrone in 2004 when everything they did turned to gold. They kicked 9 wides, put 4 in the keeper's hands, and mucked up the final pass on a few occasions more.

You folks can wax lyrical all you like calling this a classic. But any football match that produces 35 scoring opportunities at one end can mean one thing only: substandard opposition. Players incapable of man-marking, teams incapable of stemming a tide.

This was not a classic.

I never knew you were such a top man, Indiana.

Free Staters unite.

laoislad

+1
Especially about the Nordie shite.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Wildweasel74

Still think Mayo Dublin is a very tasty final which could go either way, still fancy mayo but unsure about it, the miss of O`Connor could be the difference between winning and losing

Nally Stand

This was not a classic.

It's one thing not liking a style of play you perceive as overly defensive but to me, there is a general consensus that thou shalt not criticise a Kerry v Dublin game. Apologies, but Indiana, some of the defending today was criminal, and as often happens in such circumstances is people think the high scores reflect two great performances and glosses over the defensive errors. And if you can deny the level of "cynicism" today then you are nothing more than a sheep repeating what you hear on the Sunday Game because this game had it all...hauling down, tripping, off the ball hits, late tackles, wrestling, yellow cards to beat the band etc etc. A high scoring game? Yes. Great scores? Yes. Poor defenses? Yes. Error strewen? Yes Cynical? Yes.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

imtommygunn

Indiana as usual on donegal's case. Donegal 2012 and 2011 were vastly different. In 2012 they were involved in some very entertaining games. 2011 no but 2012 yes. That doesn't suit your blinkered view though.

Great game. The big difference was fitness / conditioning i thought. Kerry had to work so much harder in defense to get the ball moved, midfield too, and that eventually took it's toll. Strength in depth a factor too. Donaghy made no impact whatsoever.

Great final on the cards. I hope for a mayo win but hard to say what will happen. Dublin have won two now by wearing teams down. They'll not do that to mayo. First final in a good few years where the teams would be more or less evens to win.

Flutehook

Quote from: moysider on September 01, 2013, 10:07:37 PM

Any fish-hooking? Not so bad so.

Sorry - I thought that was indigenous Munster shite.

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2013, 10:06:14 PM

This was not a classic.

I'm not from Tyrone. But I do have tremendous respect for how they put away a sensational Kerry side in 2008.

I can tell you something else. If Dublin face Mayo with the same game plan in 3 weeks time, they'll get slaughtered.

i wouldn't be worrying yourself about our game-plan. Mayo don't have a Gooch. So it's a different type of challenge. their best forward also is carrying a serious injury. Completely type of game.

I've plenty of respect for Tyrone in 2005. That was a fine year's football. But 2008 was average in my view- spear-headed by Sean Cavanagh who damn well won the thing on his own.

The reality is Ulster has been left behind this year playing an outdated style of football.

haze

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 01, 2013, 09:57:51 PM

Once the hype of the occasion dies down, maybe more level heads will look over the game again. There's little point in making rational points on the standard of the game in terms of play, point and goal taking etc. on here because there's little point in discussing matters with such hard of thinking idiots who wish to self-confirm their own prejudices instead. That's definitely not to say that it wasn't an entertaining game with some great play, high drama and good scores, but there was some of the less desirable e.g. Kerry's wasted opportunities for points that eventually came back to haunt them, Johnny Cooper lucky to stay on after his trip on Colm Cooper, and other points gone over ad nausem elsewhere. Definitely a strong candidate for MOTY but perhaps more a reflection on the standard of championship football this year - I saw the 2001 All-Ireland Quarter Final first game between Kerry and Dublin in Thurles on TG4 recently and IMO it was a better game overall than today's match up.

Outrageous! Dont know whats worse - making it a "contender" for game of year or comparing it to dublin kerry 01. Today's game was a great game. And in comparison to what went before it this year it was a classic.

INDIANA

Quote from: Nally Stand on September 01, 2013, 10:13:51 PM

This was not a classic.

It's one thing not liking a style of play you perceive as overly defensive but to me, there is a general consensus that thou shalt not criticise a Kerry v Dublin game. Apologies, but Indiana, some of the defending today was criminal, and as often happens in such circumstances is people think the high scores reflect two great performances and glosses over the defensive errors. And if you can deny the level of "cynicism" today then you are nothing more than a sheep repeating what you hear on the Sunday Game because this game had it all...hauling down, tripping, off the ball hits, late tackles, wrestling, yellow cards to beat the band etc etc. A high scoring game? Yes. Great scores? Yes. Poor defenses? Yes. Error strewen? Yes Cynical? Yes.

I'd take today over the rubbish Donegal offered in 2011 trying to beat us. If we want anything from the game going forward anyone with any interest in the GAA would take today over that calamity.

orangeman

Colm Cooper or Dermot Connolly for MOM ?

Gooch gave a display that will live long in the memory. Connolly didn't but still gets MOM.

The winner takes it all clearly.

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on September 01, 2013, 10:23:21 PM
Colm Cooper or Dermot Connolly for MOM ?

Gooch gave a display that will live long in the memory. Connolly didn't but still gets MOM.

The winner takes it all clearly.

I don't like Connelly but I thought he was very important for Dublin today.
MWWSI 2017