Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

macdanger2

From rte.ie, Dublin team shows one change - Andrews for Cullen

Dublin: S Cluxton, K O'Brien, R O'Carroll, J Cooper, J McCarthy, G Brennan, J McCaffrey, M D MacAuley, C O'Sullivan, P Flynn, C Kilkenny, D Connolly, P Mannion, P Andrews, B Brogan

orangeman

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 30, 2013, 11:22:50 PM

Dublin: S Cluxton, K O'Brien, R O'Carroll, J Cooper, J McCarthy, G Brennan, J McCaffrey, M D MacAuley, C O'Sullivan, P Flynn, C Kilkenny, D Connolly, P Mannion, P Andrews, B Brogan

Very, very strong team. Kerry will need all to go their way to beat that outfit.

Syferus

Did Dean from the Block murder Jim's cat or something?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: orangeman on August 31, 2013, 12:53:46 AM

Very, very strong team. Kerry will need all to go their way to beat that outfit.

Is is not the same very,very strong team that was forced to dig out a win against Meath? Dublin will need to call upon McManamon,Bastick,Rock to win this game.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 31, 2013, 01:17:40 AM

Is is not the same very,very strong team that was forced to dig out a win against Meath? Dublin will need to call upon McManamon,Bastick,Rock to win this game.

It'll probably be in the bag before Rock gets his usual 6-10 minutes.

Dublin just need to let the Kerry bluster fade and then ease past them.

orangeman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 31, 2013, 01:17:40 AM

Meath do strange things to Dublin. That was a one off.

Redhand Santa

It's a decent looking team but possibly a little over hyped. I think its far from unbeatable. Would not be surprised if Kerry are ahead at half time. They are still capable of playing some brilliant football as was shown in the munster final. The issue will be whether they can last the pace. They were unreal v Tyrone in the first half in the league but died in the second half. Something similar happened v Cork. If Kerry can produce a decent second half they could win this and I actually think they will.

Dublin aren't the strongest in midfield which can lead to pressure being put on the defence. It's full of good players but not necessarily the best defenders which will be tested tomorrow. I even feel the forward line may not be just as good as is being made out. Brogan has been off form all year. Andrews is still to produce it in a big game and Connolly can blow hot and cold. Mannion also is inexperienced at this level.

Zulu

Agree, this Dublin team are chock full of very fine footballers but I think a lot of them have yet to prove they're dependable championship footballers. All of the defenders have question marks over there defensive capabilities, the midfielders are great at many things but weak at winning primary possession and the forwards have 2 kids, 1 unproven player and 2 boys (Connolly and brogan) that could be brilliant or awful. Only Flynn is almost certain to deliver a performance.

Kerry have plenty of questions to answer too but more of their boys have answered them in the past. I think Dublin will win it but I find it hard to understand the confidence of many people in them, still plenty to prove yet IMO.

Sidney

From what I can see Kerry are the ones who have been talked up far more in the media this week while Dublin have been talked down quite a bit.

For me Kerry are the ones with serious doubts over them in terms of their lack of pace and poor form of players and I see Dublin dishing out a real trouncing to them.

bucko

2 weeks ago I was full certain that Dublin would win, as I was thinking that Dublins pace would win it out and with it that Kerry would not have the legs to deal with that pace for the full 70. But now I'm starting to think a little differently. Looking at the Kerry line up if it starts as named, I would say they are going to attack the Dublin full back line from the start, get the ball into them early and often and create one on one situations where the full back line have struggled with since the Meath game. Gavin doesn't seem to have addressed this, but that's not surprising as he pushes his half back line high up the field to sweep through the midfield area and win the breaks or receive passes from breaking ball and initiate attacks. Kerry will win enough ball on their own kick outs to go some way toward's this, how much they can win on the Dublin kick outs will be the deciding factor. If Kerry can negate Cluxton's short kick outs and force him to kick long they will have a very good chance as they can win more ball in the air in Dublin. Cluxton's quick kick outs are Dublins primary source of clean possession, when they go long McCauley and O'Sullivan more often than not break it and this is where Maher and Buckley could get an edge. However, Kerry having the ability to sustain the work rate to constantly mark up and give Cluxton no easy targets is the big question. I still say Dublin to win, but will be made to work harder for it than people think.

Captain Obvious

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/kingdom-love-bursting-bubble-of-dublin-hype-29536062.html
This bit in bold sounds like nowadays.

KERRY 0-14 DUBLIN 1-6

ALL-IRELAND FINAL

The Background: Dublin were reigning All-Ireland champions, whereas Kerry had lost the 1982 final to Offaly and the 1983 Munster final to Cork. Dublin were well-fancied for the double but Kerry took motivation from an unusual source – the 'RTE Guide'.

Not noted for cutting analysis of GAA affairs, the 'Guide' broke free from its fluffy world of TV puff pieces to describe Kerry as "a cowardly blend of experienced players, has-beens and newcomers."

Tom Spillane was described as a "glaring weakness who could expect a severe roasting from Tommy Conroy", while Ger Lynch was classed as "a nice footballer but a poor marker". He was, apparently, set for a miserable day against Ciaran Duff. Mick O'Dwyer milked the motivation cow for all it was worth.

"Describing a Kerry team as cowardly was like telling a Rottweiler he was an ugly mutt. I told the players that's what everyone outside of Kerry thought of them. It wasn't, of course, but why spoil such a juicy line with the truth?
" he wrote.

The Game: Kerry all the way. They led by 0-7 to 0-3 at half-time and by six points when Barney Rock scored Dublin's goal. Kerry responded by stretching on again. Dublin's return of 1-6 was their lowest against Kerry since 1955, when games were played over 60 minutes.

The Aftermath: Kerry went on to complete another three-in-a-row in 1986.

Wildweasel74

Expecting a good game of football out of you lads, after the crappy quarters and a poor enough semi last week, i am fully expecting a helter skelter game tomorrow, not too fussy who wins as long as its quality.

ross matt

On current form Dublin should win this match. They play an attractive blend of high intensity attacking football. They've a seriously talented forward line & a very resourceful bench. Their manager is ambitious and positive in his approach.

Kerry are Kerry and as the throw in time looms we're all naturally wary of writing them off. In Gooch, both the Sullivans and Galvin they have quality forwards. The O'Se brothers are legends in their own lifetimes with Tomas possibly one of the most consistently high achieving footballer of all time.

But the kingdom stars have miles on the clock and age in their legs. Most of them have a collection of AI medals in their bellies. Dublin have hunger in theirs. Plus youth in their legs and freshness on the clock.

With 15 minutes to go I think the above contrasting comparison will be a decisive factor re the final result. The Dubs by 5pt.

Wildweasel74