Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BartSimpson

Jesus me nervs.

Cant wait for this. Hearing the injured lads are all ok to start, but dat theres some minor changes.

Kerry are like a woonded animal. sick wih worry.

If i was Kerry manager, id target our corner backs.
guwan the parish

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 28, 2013, 08:40:15 PM
While Kerry obviously have the better historical record, this "in 130 years of championship football" stuff is a bit of a laugh.  They've only played 26 times in championship football.   Kerry have 17 wins, Dublin 7.

Not too many of the current team will feel that monkey on their back though, given their recent strong record against Kerry in championship and league.

RTÉ would have you believe they play as total rivals.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Frank Casey

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 28, 2013, 11:03:36 PM

Yerra, sure we don't mind them talking like that. If they want to bask in our reflected star light ;D ;D ;D

Yerra, yerra etc.
KERRY 3:7

eddie d

Hope it close but i can see Dublin winning by 4-5 points

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 28, 2013, 11:03:36 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 28, 2013, 08:40:15 PM
While Kerry obviously have the better historical record, this "in 130 years of championship football" stuff is a bit of a laugh.  They've only played 26 times in championship football.   Kerry have 17 wins, Dublin 7.

Not too many of the current team will feel that monkey on their back though, given their recent strong record against Kerry in championship and league.

RTE is based in Dublin, there are about 1 million Dubs, sure it gets tv viewers and newspaper customers to pretend that this is a special rivalry. Kerry folk unfortunately loving the extra media attention like to play along.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

BennyCake

I'm not sure Kerry are good enough. Dublin are no big shakes. Cork were brutal and could have put them away. I'm just hoping Kerry can produce a similar display like in 2009. Then, like last year, I can enjoy the AI final without the Dubs being in it. Same with the hurling final.

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyCake on August 28, 2013, 11:53:43 PM
I'm not sure Kerry are good enough. Dublin are no big shakes. Cork were brutal and could have put them away. I'm just hoping Kerry can produce a similar display like in 2009. Then, like last year, I can enjoy the AI final without the Dubs being in it. Same with the hurling final.

Cork never had any chance of winning that game. So let's stick to the facts rather then your misguided bullshit.

Can't see the 2009 quarter final being repeated for either side. I expect a tight game but hopefully a good game that we can edge by a couple of points.

I hope we get to the final just so that you'll have to stick this post up your jaxe.

heffo

Dublin are no big shakes.

Their form to date in 2013 certainly realises that claim alright.

Syferus

A classic case of mixing up reality with what you wish was reality, Benny.

emmetryan

Hi guys

Tactical preview of Dublin vs Kerry up here
http://action81.com/blog/?p=7598

Thanks
Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Declan

Good man Emmet- hope your good form continues :D

orangeman

Carney thinks Kerry.

By Martin Carney

The clash of the Aristocrats.

Kerry and Dublin renew their rivalry in the second All-Ireland football semi–final with the winner earning the right to meet Mayo in the decider on 22 September.

For many, this fixture chimes with memories of clashes between Heffo and Micko, Jacko and Mullins, Paidi and Keaveney and many more. It is a game between football's elite - city slicker versus country cousin.

Kerry with 36 titles and Dublin with 23 outstrip by a country mile their nearest challengers in the Sam-winning stakes. This fixture more than any helped glamorise the code, broadened its popular appeal and defined a rivalry that is still as keen and as anticipated as ever.

Most pundits will have us believe that the upcoming game is a clash between the grizzled warriors from the south-west and the young urban tyros. That Kerry are replete with veterans of long standing is true and on the evidence presented there are signs that Sunday could be the last hurrah for some.

Has there ever been a better wing-back than Tomás O'Sé or a forward with the capacity to excite as the mercurial Colm Cooper? Both are worthy of residence in the pantheon of all-time Kerry greats. Add to this list Galvin, Brosnan, the O'Sullivans, Donaghy, Sheehan and Maher and you get a sense of their experience and the enormity of the task facing the Dubs.

The names of Jack McCaffrey, Paul Mannion and Ciaran Kilkenny have been whispered with reverence this summer. The new guns. The latest and most dynamic version of the Blue machine. They have magnetised attention. Their exploits have been eye-catching but I feel their rapid ascent to this level has been smoothed by the familiar voice of Jim Gavin who managed them at U-21 level, and the wisdom imparted from the experienced core within the dressing room.

"The initiation process facing Fionn Fitzgerald and Mark Griffin will be an acid test of character. Nothing like being thrown in at the deep end!"

As members of the 2011 All-Ireland winning team, players like Bryan Cullen, Stephen Cluxton, Bernard Brogan and Paul Flynn - I am quite certain have mentored and steered the young men to the levels they are at today.

Both teams have followed identical paths on their journeys to the last four. Kerry waltzed past Tipp and Waterford in Munster, while Dublin encountered little resistance in their outings with Westmeath and Kildare.

A scintillating 50 minutes of football, culminating in a Marc O'Se point, gave Kerry a nine-point lead in the Munster final. Whether it was an aberration, born of complacency or a result of a Cork revival, led by Ciaran Sheehan, the facts are that Kerry were clinging to the lifebelts at the final whistle and were relieved with their two-point win.

Yet in that period of Kingdom dominance we witnessed a blistering demonstration of the fierce will and unremitting excellence that they are capable of.

Dublin's win over their old rivals Meath was not without its hiccups, as the pace of Wallace and the accuracy of Newman caused more problems than might have been anticipated.

Their quarter-final victory over Cork was noteworthy for Stephen Cluxton's six points. When did we ever see a goalkeeper as a team's joint top scorer in championship football? Never, I guess. Kerry's win over Cavan was predictable and uneventful.

Assuming that he remains loyal to his quarter final winning team, Jim Gavin will unleash a horde of hungry warriors capable on their day of overcoming the sternest challenge. The calibre of forward at his disposal is frightening and by now the harmony that was absent in the earlier rounds should be well established.

I felt that the understanding between Bernard Brogan, Paul Mannion and Ciarán Kilkenny was slow to develop, but against Cork evidence of improvement was obvious.

That he was substituted in each of his opening three fixtures hardly helped his confidence, but against Cork one sensed that Brogan's cuteness and awareness of others had returned even though his scoring return from play was void on that occasion.

The experienced trio of the outstanding Paul Flynn , the rejuvenated Peadar Andrews and Diarmuid Connolly add lustre to the forward division. The back-up cast of Rock, Cullen, O'Gara and McManamon is enviable to say the least. The unfortunate injury to Killian Young has resulted in a reshuffled Kerry defence.

The initiation process facing Fionn Fitzgerald and Mark Griffin will be an acid test of character. Nothing like being thrown in at the deep end! Tomás and Marc will offer reassurance in any event.

Midfield is the sector that has divided opinion in Dublin and is likely to remain unchanged. Jim Gavin has placed his trust in Michael Darragh MacAuley and Cian O'Sullivan believing that their athleticism and willingness to access all areas of Croke Park can compensate for any deficiencies that they might have in aerial combat.

"Thomas Jefferson once said that there is a natural aristocracy among men, the grounds of which are virtue and talents"

Cluxton's laser-like pings will find them but have they the scope to contest and deprive Kerry of possession from Kealy's restarts? It will be no surprise to yet see the combative Denis Bastic having a role to play at some stage of the game.

By recalling Anthony Maher to partner Johnny Buckley, Kerry have restored the pairing that for long spells looked outstanding against Cork, and the latter's long range place kicking has become a real bonus.

The roles and responsibilities entrusted to Paul Galvin and Donnacha Walsh will be as demanding as they are vital to the Kerry cause.

Tracking the runs of Jack McCaffrey and James McCarthy isn't for the faint-hearted or weak-of-lung, yet if Galvin and Walsh can diminish their influence and at the same time provide ammunition for the Kerry attack we would see the establishment of a winning platform. Walsh is a players' player; Galvin, when focused, is indispensible. Let's relish this battle.

Faithful to their philosophy and spirit of adventure Dublin play without a sweeper. Ger Brennan holds the middle with others allowed freedom to attack. Added to this will be his task of containing the influence of the 'Gooch' which if unchecked could seriously undermine the Dubs.

Cooper, the creator, has blossomed in his new role where his speed of thought and vision can prise open the securest defence. Along with the Sullivans and the exciting James O Donoghue this is a potent frontline capable of stretching a Dublin defence that I am yet to be convinced of.

Thomas Jefferson once said that there is a natural aristocracy among men, the grounds of which are virtue and talents. Whatever about virtue - I am sure it is there in abundance - there is no denying the talents of these rivals. We should witness on Sunday a classic, where I expect the Green and Gold to shade it... just.

squire_in_navy_slacks

::)

AMayoFan

Sunday is a mouth watering match up with both teams able to put up very high scores.  Definitely has the makings of the match of the year.  I'm really looking forward to a great game of football, with oceans of football skill, end to end action, & great atmosphere in Croker.
I know one shouldn't put too much weight into league form, but Dublin were mightily impressive throughout that campaign. However, I think there progress has plateau. I think teams have nullified Cluxton kickout, and they're shaky in the full back line.
On the other side, Kerry were really disappointing in the league, and only showed they're a first half team since.  Dublin pace and fitness will be a very big test for them.  I also hear that there is trouble in the Kerry camp, and I don't believe the opinions from Darragh O'Shea and Jack O'Connor, basically stating that don't take Kerry on past performances, that they will show something new and overturn this Dublin team.
I think Kerry will demonstrate how to beat Dublin but will ultimately run out of steam and Dublin to win.

Wildweasel74

Martin carney wrote that? G hes turning itoa R