Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Quote from: bluenosebandit on August 28, 2013, 10:53:42 AM
donaghy has been dropped as i suspect kerry will be more coservative and defensive than usual. I know people will say how many men they had behind the ball against cavan, but when you are not playing particularly well and are miles ahead, the natural inclination is to drop back and defend what you have.

Interesting personal battles, how do you think they will fair out:
O'Se v Brogan?
Cooper v Brennan
McCaffrey v Walsh
Maher v MD McAuley
Enright v Mannion

Think the winning of the game could be who comes out on top in terms of winning breaking ball and setting tempo of the game: key battle flynn v Thomas O'Se

Should be a cracker in terms of skill and passion, with tyrone having gone out sunday past, and looking at it purely as a neutral, fancy a draw, and the dubs to win it in a replay.

Could be the game of the championship this one. Have tipped Kerry from the start of the championship and still think they can win one more with this group of players. dont think Kerry will do a 'Tyrone' on Dublin but will shade it in a tence game

O'Se v Brogan? Brogan has been under performing. The last person he needs marshalling him is Marc O'Se
Cooper v Brennan Cooper by a country mile. Brennan is a weak link in the Dubs team and most likely to see red
McCaffrey v Walsh there is more chance of me marking McCaffrey than Walsh i reckon
Maher v MD McAuley Maher to edge this battle
Enright v Mannion Mannion until O'Se is switched to mark him

bluenosebandit

Quote from: J OGorman on August 28, 2013, 11:01:32 AM
donaghy has been dropped as i suspect kerry will be more coservative and defensive than usual. I know people will say how many men they had behind the ball against cavan, but when you are not playing particularly well and are miles ahead, the natural inclination is to drop back and defend what you have.

O'Se v Brogan?
Cooper v Brennan
McCaffrey v Walsh
Maher v MD McAuley
Enright v Mannion

Think the winning of the game could be who comes out on top in terms of winning breaking ball and setting tempo of the game: key battle flynn v Thomas O'Se

Should be a cracker in terms of skill and passion, with tyrone having gone out sunday past, and looking at it purely as a neutral, fancy a draw, and the dubs to win it in a replay.

Could be the game of the championship this one. Have tipped Kerry from the start of the championship and still think they can win one more with this group of players. dont think Kerry will do a 'Tyrone' on Dublin but will shade it in a tence game

O'Se v Brogan? Brogan has been under performing. The last person he needs marshalling him is Marc O'Se
Cooper v Brennan Cooper by a country mile. Brennan is a weak link in the Dubs team and most likely to see red
McCaffrey v Walsh there is more chance of me marking McCaffrey than Walsh i reckon

I agree that o'se would mark brogan out of it, but still feel he will be tasked with the job on the off chance that brogan will cut loose and perform on the big day.
Who the do you reckon will pick up mccaffrey? he will burn galvin all day long, unless darren o'sullivan drops out to pick him up. I think kerry have the same type of problem tyrone had last week, they need to keep the dublin half back line and midfielders honest, i.e, make them do their primary job of defending first. Mayo's half back line came forward in waves as tyrone played too deep, and the kerry half forward line have to impose themselves on the dublin half backs and force them to defend as much as possible.

Syferus

This is probably the game Brogan skins his marker. Certainly not confident in Marc O'Se containing him for 70 minutes if that is the match-up.

Hound

I think Kerry have picked the right team (in the forwards anyway). He's dead right to leave KD as a sub. Dublin give the opposition full forward line more room than anyone else does, so speedy skillful forwards will be best placed to take advantage. I see Dec and Gooch interchanging from time to time also.

Donaghy will be a very useful sub though, and that's a very strong bench Kerry have.

I wouldnt be surprised to see 5 goals in this game.

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on August 28, 2013, 12:52:04 PM
I think Kerry have picked the right team (in the forwards anyway). He's dead right to leave KD as a sub. Dublin give the opposition full forward line more room than anyone else does, so speedy skillful forwards will be best placed to take advantage. I see Dec and Gooch interchanging from time to time also.

Donaghy will be a very useful sub though, and that's a very strong bench Kerry have.

I wouldnt be surprised to see 5 goals in this game.

Ciaran Sheehan would like to disagree with you.

heffo

Quote from: bluenosebandit on August 28, 2013, 11:16:18 AM
Quote from: J OGorman on August 28, 2013, 11:01:32 AM

O'Se v Brogan?
Cooper v Brennan
McCaffrey v Walsh
Maher v MD McAuley
Enright v Mannion

I agree that o'se would mark brogan out of it, but still feel he will be tasked with the job on the off chance that brogan will cut loose and perform on the big day.
Who the do you reckon will pick up mccaffrey? he will burn galvin all day long, unless darren o'sullivan drops out to pick him up. I think kerry have the same type of problem tyrone had last week, they need to keep the dublin half back line and midfielders honest, i.e, make them do their primary job of defending first. Mayo's half back line came forward in waves as tyrone played too deep, and the kerry half forward line have to impose themselves on the dublin half backs and force them to defend as much as possible.

I'd be hopeful that unlike '09, we'll get our match ups right from the start and not stick to positions

squire_in_navy_slacks

Pin it to the fooking Door Jim Gavin .....................

Irish times DOSE

"Kerry fellas would always have this feeling that the Dubs would be half-mocking them and that any game against them would be a chance to put them in their place. Whether that's the case or not wouldn't really matter too much – it would be the mindset going in. You'd always believe you could beat Dublin."

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/maybe-i-m-letting-my-heart-rule-my-head-but-i-trust-these-kerry-players-to-beat-dublin-1.1507347?page=2

Seamus

After everything that is said of Kerry this year unlike Dublin there is no need for any slip of paper to be pinned to the dressing room door, wall or where ever. When it's time to leave the dressing room soon after 3PM on Sunday that door is in danger of being kicked off the hinges.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

Frank Casey

I think that the views of D O Se are right on the nail. The history between the teams should leave the Dubs worried not Kerry. Any Mourne man would like to remind the Kingdom of their record one to one in championship. The metropolitans would be wise to do the same.

In 130 odd years of championship football Dublin have only beaten Kerry on a handful of occasions.

Two of Dublin's wins came pre-1910, when both counties were represented by club sides, so effectively they have registered just five wins (1923-34-76-77 & 2011) over Kerry as full county teams.

And to bring a little culture to the debate...

Dúchas

You say tradition counts for naught when two teams take the field,
I fear you are mistaken, lad, but the years will make you yield,
And when your hair's as grey as mine, and time has made you old,
Then you'll invoke the truth I spoke of the Kingdom's green and gold.

You cannot box or bottle it, nor grasp it in your hand,
But pride of race and love of place inspire a love of land
Time honoured is our birthright, we'll never break the mould,
It's deep within the soul of us, who wear the green and gold.

Grey lakes and mountains soaring high, Mount Brandon's holy hill,
The little church at Gallerus, our language living still,
The Skellig Rock, stout football stock, they can't be bought or sold,
For our county's fame, we play the game in the Kingdom's green and gold.

And when the battle's fiercest and the fortunes ebb and flow,
We're still alive, we can survive, we never will let go,
For the spirit of our fathers and of stories yet untold,
Will lead us on to victory, in the Kingdom's green and gold.

We savour Kerry victories, we salute a gallant foe
And when we lose, there's no excuse, we pick up our bags and go,
So raise your glass each lad and lass to our warriors brave and bold,
Who again aspire to the Sam Maguire in the Kingdom's green and gold

KERRY 3:7

Jell 0 Biafra

While Kerry obviously have the better historical record, this "in 130 years of championship football" stuff is a bit of a laugh.  They've only played 26 times in championship football.  Kerry have 17 wins, Dublin 7.

Not too many of the current team will feel that monkey on their back though, given their recent strong record against Kerry in championship and league.

Frank Casey

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 28, 2013, 08:40:15 PM
While Kerry obviously have the better historical record, this "in 130 years of championship football" stuff is a bit of a laugh.  They've only played 26 times in championship football.  Kerry have 17 wins, Dublin 7.

Not too many of the current team will feel that monkey on their back though, given their recent strong record against Kerry in championship and league.

Fair point but, excluding any league meetings (or do you believe that they are any real representation of a team's championship credentials), in the meetings since say 2000 (I pick this as all panel members wil remember this period) Dublin have only one championship win.

Jell 0 Biafra

I'd generally agree that you can't read much from league form.  The only reason I referred to Dublin's recent good run against Kerry in the league is that while there might have been Dublin teams in the past who didn't really believe they could beat Kerry, I don't think this team will have that problem. 

Jell 0 Biafra

What is the Championship record since 2000 anyway?  3 wins for Kerry, 1 draw and 1 win for Dublin?  Uneven sure, but certainly not the stuff to have a team feel beaten before the throw in.

Frank Casey

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 28, 2013, 09:00:11 PM
What is the Championship record since 2000 anyway?  3 wins for Kerry, 1 draw and 1 win for Dublin?  Uneven sure, but certainly not the stuff to have a team feel beaten before the throw in.

Us muckers have to latch on to whatever we can ;)

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Frank Casey on August 28, 2013, 09:06:48 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 28, 2013, 09:00:11 PM

Us muckers have to latch on to whatever we can ;)

36 all-Irelands isn't bad latching on all the same.