Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2013, 06:37:39 PM
Quote from: joemamas on August 27, 2013, 06:24:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2013, 06:17:28 PM
Quote from: joemamas on August 27, 2013, 05:32:28 PM
Just watched Sunday game, Kevin Mcstay allueded to Anthony Maher not being fully fit. I know he missed Q/Final,
any Kerry folk know if he is okay. Potential game changer in my mind as I rate him to be best midfielder in Ireland.

How much drink did you need to take before that realisation hit you? ???
After reading your response, I was going to call you an a**hole, but then again that would be an insult to a**holes everywhere.

Your post smacks of the classic contrary streak in people, just because there are some widely agreed to best players in a certain position someone has to come out and plant a flag in different earth for little objective reasoning.

AOS is clearly the best pure midfielder in the country, Aidan Walsh is a better midfielder than Maher, Sean Cavanagh isn't a traditional midfielder but no one would pick Maher above him. Players like Neil Gallagher, Seamus O'Shea and Brendan Murphy are at least in the same bracket as Maher. It would be hard rate him as being much ahead of some of the up-and-coming midfielders like Givney and Heslin either.

I'm sorry if it annoys you but the point stands - Anthony Maher isn't the best midfielder in the country.
SOS was better than AOS on Sunday and apart from the Donegal quarter final he probably was in other games as well. Aidan Walsh is overrated midfielder and isn't better than Maher. Sean Cavanagh should be playing in the forward line and not midfield. Apart from Gallagher Maher is better than those in that bracket and will have to wait and see on up and coming midfielders.

Anthony Maher is highly rated and its a boost for Dublin if he doesn't play on Sunday.

Zulu

@kerryman_ie: Kerry team: Kealy M Ó Sé Griffin Enright T Ó Sé Crowley Fitzgerald Maher Buckley Galvin Cooper Walsh Dar O'Sull Dec O'Sull O'Donoghue #GAA

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 27, 2013, 07:16:30 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2013, 06:37:39 PM
Quote from: joemamas on August 27, 2013, 06:24:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2013, 06:17:28 PM
Quote from: joemamas on August 27, 2013, 05:32:28 PM
Just watched Sunday game, Kevin Mcstay allueded to Anthony Maher not being fully fit. I know he missed Q/Final,
any Kerry folk know if he is okay. Potential game changer in my mind as I rate him to be best midfielder in Ireland.

How much drink did you need to take before that realisation hit you? ???
After reading your response, I was going to call you an a**hole, but then again that would be an insult to a**holes everywhere.

Your post smacks of the classic contrary streak in people, just because there are some widely agreed to best players in a certain position someone has to come out and plant a flag in different earth for little objective reasoning.

AOS is clearly the best pure midfielder in the country, Aidan Walsh is a better midfielder than Maher, Sean Cavanagh isn't a traditional midfielder but no one would pick Maher above him. Players like Neil Gallagher, Seamus O'Shea and Brendan Murphy are at least in the same bracket as Maher. It would be hard rate him as being much ahead of some of the up-and-coming midfielders like Givney and Heslin either.

I'm sorry if it annoys you but the point stands - Anthony Maher isn't the best midfielder in the country.
SOS was better than AOS on Sunday and apart from the Donegal quarter final he probably was in other games as well. Aidan Walsh is overrated midfielder and isn't better than Maher. Sean Cavanagh should be playing in the forward line and not midfield. Apart from Gallagher Maher is better than those in that bracket and will have to wait and see on up and coming midfielders.

Anthony Maher is highly rated and its a boost for Dublin if he doesn't play on Sunday.

No one is saying Maher is a scrub, there simply isn't a case for him being the best in the country. I'd say for most coaches choosing between Bryan Sheehan and Maher would be a tough call, depending on how good their other free-takers are.

Aidan Walsh looked lost this year thanks to Con playing him as a half-forward for reasons that escape everyone in Ireland but there isn't a hope that if any manager was offered Maher or Walsh and they'd pick Maher. Walsh can do so much more than most midfielders, he's very much in the Sean Cavanagh mould of being not just a midfielder but a top attacking talent in his own right too.

emmetryan

Hi guys,

Video preview of the Dublin vs Kerry game now up with the Tactics Board

http://action81.com/blog/?p=7582

Thanks,
Emmet
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

squire_in_navy_slacks

Donaghy take a dump on Eamons desk again ??????????????

rodney trotter

Donaghy was poor in the Cavan game. Some speed in the Kerry FF line with O Donoghue back in the side.

Syferus

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 27, 2013, 09:18:33 PM
Donaghy take a dump on Eamons desk again ??????????????

Can barely remember the last time he played well. Without Donaghy the Kerry FF line is talented but unable to expose the Dublin FB line in the manner Sheehan did in the QF. I'd probably still risk Donaghy even though I don't rate him all that highly any more just because he may be able to do a job at 14.

Double-double-double down on Dublin now.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2013, 09:03:34 PM

Aidan Walsh looked lost this year thanks to Con playing him as a half-forward for reasons that escape everyone in Ireland but there isn't a hope that if any manager was offered Maher or Walsh and they'd pick Maher. Walsh can do so much more than most midfielders, he's very much in the Sean Cavanagh mould of being not just a midfielder but a top attacking talent in his own right too.

Aidan Walsh is living off that performance in 2010 AI final, can you remember him against us in 2010 quarter final & how he struggled against Mannion/Finneran? it wasn't until Nicholas Murphy replaced Walsh did Cork take over in midfield.

Yes Walsh can do more than most midfielders & it might explain why he was used in a more forward role this year but if i was to choose a top fielder for midfield it would be Maher over Walsh.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Frank Casey

Big call in defence with Griffin (indirectly) replacing Young. I hope the young man does well.

Changes in MF and up front no major surprises.

KERRY 3:7

Mike Sheehy

f**k me, that Jack McCaffrey is fast ! Is he fit to play ? possibly the best player in Ireland right now.

I hope the lads are tuned in for this. Could be a long day if they are as off the pace as is generally thought.

Canalman

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 28, 2013, 08:18:28 AM
f**k me, that Jack McCaffrey is fast ! Is he fit to play ? possibly the best player in Ireland right now.

I hope the lads are tuned in for this. Could be a long day if they are as off the pace as is generally thought.

Will yez ever stop the yerraing. Nobody is buying it anymore.

Kerry lads here in the job are all adamant Kerry will win. Declan O'Sullivan, Darren O'Sullivan, Cooper, Donaghy (he will be starting by the way)  and Galvin in the forward line alone.
Imo 4 contenders as best players ever on the team......... 2 Ó Sés, Cooper and Declan O'Sullivan and yet Kerry think they can pull a rope a dope.

Every Dublin fan I meet is dreading this one even though I dreaded the Cork game more.

Tipped Kerry to win AI earlier this year and stil think they will win it.

Town will be full of Kerry people on Sunday night sadly as they will win.

heffo

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 28, 2013, 08:18:28 AM

Yawn

Jinxy

If O'Donoghue is fit he is a huge addition.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Declan

QuoteKerry lads here in the job are all adamant Kerry will win.

Yep all the Kerry people I've been talking to are very confident. Couldn't get motivated for the Cavan game but can't wait for this one. They think our backs are ready to be trimmed and reckon they'll win with a few to spare.

Think they are wrong myself

bluenosebandit

donaghy has been dropped as i suspect kerry will be more coservative and defensive than usual. I know people will say how many men they had behind the ball against cavan, but when you are not playing particularly well and are miles ahead, the natural inclination is to drop back and defend what you have.

Interesting personal battles, how do you think they will fair out:
O'Se v Brogan?
Cooper v Brennan
McCaffrey v Walsh
Maher v MD McAuley
Enright v Mannion

Think the winning of the game could be who comes out on top in terms of winning breaking ball and setting tempo of the game: key battle flynn v Thomas O'Se

Should be a cracker in terms of skill and passion, with tyrone having gone out sunday past, and looking at it purely as a neutral, fancy a draw, and the dubs to win it in a replay.