Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Might have been CIT , think they are still involved in the Cork Club champ..

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 26, 2013, 08:54:58 PM

Never got how Cork colleges play in the county championship. It creates so many anomalies. For one can cork natives play for their own clubs and the colleges in the same competition? Don't the colleges have to assemble for training outside of the school year, meaning plenty of players have to travel back to college in the summer to train?

ross4life

Quote from: Declan on August 26, 2013, 03:33:57 PM
Officially sold out according to HQ - Now i'm struggling to remember the last time the Kingdom were involved in a sold out semi-final. So are they either (a) acknowledging that this is their last opportunity to see some of their warriors as those young fast city slickers are going to retire them or (b) travelling to see their boys reasserting their traditional dominance over dem durty dubs.

Can't make up my mind which it is ;)

Was the Dublin v Kerry 2009 quarter final not a sell out? outside of the AI finals its one game that can fill Croker. As for the game on Sunday i expect a good close battle the Dubs only beat Cork by 5 & Kerry are better side than Cork. Dublin by 1-3 pts looks the most likely outcome.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on August 26, 2013, 08:59:06 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 26, 2013, 08:54:58 PM

Never got how Cork colleges play in the county championship. It creates so many anomalies. For one can cork natives play for their own clubs and the colleges in the same competition? Don't the colleges have to assemble for training outside of the school year, meaning plenty of players have to travel back to college in the summer to train?

You can't play for your club as well if they are senior so on occasion players have transferred to their University team for the year. Some years the colleges train a fair bit as a group but often they do very little training until they make the latter stages of the championship.

Declan

A nod to history, but Jim Gavin refuses to get sentimental about Dublin-Kerry rivalry
Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final is confirmed as a sell-out

The last thing Jim Gavin is going to do is get all nostalgic about playing Kerry in the football championship. The Dublin manager doesn't do sentimentality, which is a good thing, because Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final has enough going for it in the here and now.
That's not saying Gavin doesn't appreciate what Dublin and Kerry still represents – and why Sunday's game is now a confirmed 82,300-sell-out. Gavin never played against Kerry in the championship, missing their 2001 showdown in Thurles with injury, but he's of the age to realise it's impossible to ignore the history between the teams.
"Sure I was born in the 1970s," says Gavin. "My dad would have brought us boys [to] a lot of those games. There is a great tradition that goes back even before the 1970s.
"But the one common thing I suppose is that Kerry have had the upper hand in most of those games.
"They've certainly controlled the power base and that has reflected itself in recent years as well, through the 2000s.
"I didn't play them, as through my era they were regrouping.
"Now, what we say to our players when they're playing for the county is that it's a privilege. It's a privilege when they get a club jersey to represent their parish or community and it's a privilege for them to wear the county jersey. So it starts at home first of all and it starts with respect. And certainly they have a lot of respect for Kerry."
Gavin does afford the previous generation a nod, not just of approval but of inspiration.
"I'd say a lot of my coaching philosophy comes from those teams of the 1970s. When I was playing under Dr Pat O'Neill, he would have espoused the same thing. Fran Ryder, Jim Brogan and Bobby Doyle – they would have promoted that type of game as well. Even Mickey Whelan in 1996 – it was a privilege to play under him as well. It's just what I was brought up on.
"I would have brought that philosophy to the under-21 sides as well . . . We believe that's the way the game should be played. I genuinely believe we have one of the best field sports in the world and we play within the rules. Whether that gets us success is another thing. But we hold true to those values."
Gavin has never seen any value in dwelling on the past, which is why there has been no mention of more recent meetings between the teams – either the 2011 All-Ireland final, which Dublin won (1-12 to 1-11), or the 2009 quarter-final, which Kerry won (1-24 to 1-7).
"No, we haven't referenced them at all," says Gavin. "I've used this phrase before: it's in the rear view mirror, it's history. We don't use previous games as motivation.
"What we do is focus on our football team, what we do and how we approach the game. Naturally enough we look at the opposition, but most of our focus through the National League and championship has been on how we play our football and how we can put our footprint on the game."
He adds: "We're under no illusions that what Kerry were doing was just getting over the games, and having won so much, they will know when to peak in the season.
"For them it isn't about the National League or peaking for Munster finals. It's about peaking now."
For both Dublin and Kerry, that is.

blanketattack

Can we take it for granted that the match will start at 3:45 instead of 3:30 with so many Dubs arriving late due to the Liverpool-Man Utd game on beforehand?

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: blanketattack on August 27, 2013, 10:52:18 AM
Can we take it for granted that the match will start at 3:45 instead of 3:30 with so many Dubs arriving late due to the Liverpool-Man Utd game on beforehand?

I wouldn't imagine so............................whos the the hairy kerry player who spent his whole evening yesterday tweeting about Utd players what they wear etc etc

This Years Model

Is this game sold out? No tickets on gaa.ie.
Thanks.

blanketattack

Quote from: This Years Model on August 27, 2013, 11:47:58 AM
Is this game sold out? No tickets on gaa.ie.
Thanks.

Some tickets available in Kerry. None online or in SuperValu.

joemamas

Just watched Sunday game, Kevin Mcstay allueded to Anthony Maher not being fully fit. I know he missed Q/Final,
any Kerry folk know if he is okay. Potential game changer in my mind as I rate him to be best midfielder in Ireland.

Syferus

Quote from: joemamas on August 27, 2013, 05:32:28 PM
Just watched Sunday game, Kevin Mcstay allueded to Anthony Maher not being fully fit. I know he missed Q/Final,
any Kerry folk know if he is okay. Potential game changer in my mind as I rate him to be best midfielder in Ireland.

How much drink did you need to take before that realisation hit you? ???

joemamas

Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2013, 06:17:28 PM

After reading your response, I was going to call you an a**hole, but then again that would be an insult to a**holes everywhere.

rodney trotter

According to the Indo Maher is back to full fitness.

Syferus

Quote from: joemamas on August 27, 2013, 06:24:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 27, 2013, 06:17:28 PM

After reading your response, I was going to call you an a**hole, but then again that would be an insult to a**holes everywhere.

Your post smacks of the classic contrary streak in people, just because there are some widely agreed to best players in a certain position someone has to come out and plant a flag in different earth for little objective reasoning.

AOS is clearly the best pure midfielder in the country, Aidan Walsh is a better midfielder than Maher, Sean Cavanagh isn't a traditional midfielder but no one would pick Maher above him. Players like Neil Gallagher, Seamus O'Shea and Brendan Murphy are at least in the same bracket as Maher. It would be hard rate him as being much ahead of some of the up-and-coming midfielders like Givney and Heslin either.

I'm sorry if it annoys you but the point stands - Anthony Maher isn't the best midfielder in the country.