Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: Syferus on August 24, 2013, 12:11:13 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 24, 2013, 12:03:51 AM
Ridiculous the way people have been writing off Kerry all year. They still have the class regardless of age - and have David Moran back. A brilliant player who has been very unfortunate with Injuries for the last 2 years.

Do you think the likes of the O'Ses and O'Mahony are going to get leg transplants or something? Dublin have speed to burn and there isn't a hope in the world that Kerry could hang with that pace for 70 minutes. Is Paul Galvin able to mark Jack Mc or James McCarthy for even the majority of a game?

Dublin won't need to improve their support (a big weakness  that may come back to haunt them in the final) and I'd wager that they mightn't even need to put in a stellar performance to pull away from Kerry in the final 20 minutes. You need to drop ball into the square to expose the Dublin full-back line properly and Star hasn't shown anything in the last two years to suggest he's up to that job.

This is a bigger mis-match than Mayo-Tyrone and Kerry will likely play much like your own county do and blanket up and sit back and try to soak up as much pressure as possible and hope to expose Dublin on the break.

This is a Kerry team playing plan B from the start and that is never a good situation to be in. If the legs were still there Kerry would be playing a style of football that resembles the way Mayo are playing, not playing to a game-plan that they seem to have found in Mickey Harte's dust bin. They are cutting their cloth to fit their capabilities but the fact remains their capabilities are too limited to make beating Dublin or winning an AI a realistic goal.

Expectations (both on the panel and in the county) have set the bar far too high for Kerry to succeed against the standards they've set themselves. It's the price you pay for being a great team in the past, I guess. This is a rebuilding year, not an AI-chasing one.

You are sounding like Roy Curtis

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 24, 2013, 10:00:16 AM
Ridiculous the way people have been writing off Kerry all year. They still have the class regardless of age - and have David Moran back. A brilliant player who has been very unfortunate with Injuries for the last 2 years.

Do you think the likes of the O'Ses and O'Mahony are going to get leg transplants or something? Dublin have speed to burn and there isn't a hope in the world that Kerry could hang with that pace for 70 minutes. Is Paul Galvin able to mark Jack Mc or James McCarthy for even the majority of a game?

Dublin won't need to improve their support (a big weakness  that may come back to haunt them in the final) and I'd wager that they mightn't even need to put in a stellar performance to pull away from Kerry in the final 20 minutes. You need to drop ball into the square to expose the Dublin full-back line properly and Star hasn't shown anything in the last two years to suggest he's up to that job.

This is a bigger mis-match than Mayo-Tyrone and Kerry will likely play much like your own county do and blanket up and sit back and try to soak up as much pressure as possible and hope to expose Dublin on the break.

This is a Kerry team playing plan B from the start and that is never a good situation to be in. If the legs were still there Kerry would be playing a style of football that resembles the way Mayo are playing, not playing to a game-plan that they seem to have found in Mickey Harte's dust bin. They are cutting their cloth to fit their capabilities but the fact remains their capabilities are too limited to make beating Dublin or winning an AI a realistic goal.

Expectations (both on the panel and in the county) have set the bar far too high for Kerry to succeed against the standards they've set themselves. It's the price you pay for being a great team in the past, I guess. This is a rebuilding year, not an AI-chasing one.

You are sounding like Roy Curtis

If Roy Curtis was right, sure. I think it's hard to disaagree with anything I said and your response is telling.

People need to realise the emperor has been running around in the nip for the last two years and not be engaging in foolish servitude to the past. This isn't Kerry's time for many reasons.

rodney trotter

No Syferus, Kerry are in an All Ireland Semi Final, They aren't going to lie down. The games against Cork and Cavan were over at half time - both teams made good fight backs alright. And Cork could possibly have won - But they are not going to let Dublin run away with it.. Last chance for O Se and maybe Galvin to win Sam, they aren't going to go to go down without a fight..
Should have won the All Ireland in 2011, so a little revenge there as well. A flukey Donegal goal from a side line ball was the difference in the Quarter final last year. They also lost Declan O Sullivan and Cooper in the second half through injury.

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on August 24, 2013, 11:13:48 AM
No Syferus, Kerry are in an All Ireland Semi Final, They aren't going to lie down. The games against Cork and Cavan were over at half time - both teams made good fight backs alright. And Cork could possibly have won - But they are not going to let Dublin run away with it.. Last chance for O Se and maybe Galvin to win Sam, they aren't going to go to go down without a fight..
Should have won the All Ireland in 2011, so a little revenge there as well. A flukey Donegal goal from a side line ball was the difference in the Quarter final last year. They also lost Declan O Sullivan and Cooper in the second half through injury.

Should have, but didn't. It's the two years of consistent form that's below that level that tells me we don't have to worry too much about Kerry beating Dublin. It's not 2009 either where a still relatively prime Kerry team were just stuck in a season-long funk. This time the Kerry team is certifiably old and significantly slower than what they will be facing on Sunday week. Dublin have a large margin of error whereas Kerry would need a dream sequence of events to win.

2011 was this team's last chance. The reason they're in the last four is partly because they're still a top 5-7 team and because they had the soft landing that is a Munster championship draw with Cork on the opposite side, until Tipp emerge that is a cast-iron guarantee of last 12 football at the very worst.

They'll play to their heritage and play with that same customary pride (few teams that reach AISFs lie down anyways) and probably hit the ground running but it'll still be very likely to be entirely fruitless after 70 minutes.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Syferus on August 24, 2013, 12:33:53 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on August 24, 2013, 11:13:48 AM

Should have, but didn't. It's the two years of consistent form that's below level that tells me we don't have to worry too much about Kerry beating Dublin. It's not 2009 either where a still relatively prime Kerry team were just stuck in a season-long funk. This time the Kerry team is certifiably old and significantly slower than what they will be facing on Sunday week. Dublin have a large margin of error whereas Kerry would need a dream sequence of events to win.

2011 was this team's last chance. The reason they're in the last four is partly because they're still a top 5-7 team and because they had the soft landing that is a Munster championship draw with Cork on the opposite side, until Tipp emerge that is a cast-iron guarantee of last 12 football at the very worst.

They'll play to their heritage and play with that same customary pride (few teams that reach AISFs lie down anyways) and probably hit the ground running but it'll still be very likely to be entirely fruitless after 70 minutes.

Great that you have that opinion but I wouldn't agree. I also think Dublin are over hyped . Meath with a little more conviction should have had put Dublin away - Dublin got a late burst that killed the game. While Dublin had plenty of goal chances against Cork - they also gifted plenty of goal chances to Cork - which Cork didn't capitalise on. Kerry would put away those chances. If Kerry can stay with Dublin - which I think they will despite the old legs. Then I think they will win.

You have to remember Kerry have pacey players too, like Darren O Sullivan who Dublin always struggle to contain & James O Donoghue missed the Cavan game, another speed merchant.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Aidan is out for this game at least. His elbow wound from the op he had got infected. Thought you'd have your finger on the pulse of your 2nd favourite county Syf?!

Have to say Rodney Trotter, like many, seems to be totally overestimating Moran...he is a sub midfielder/forward who has played 1 game against weak opposition since returning from a 2 year lay off..if we're relying on him, we're in trouble.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 24, 2013, 01:24:55 PM

Aidan is out for this game at least. His elbow wound from the op he had got infected. Thought you'd have your finger on the pulse of your 2nd favourite county Syf?!

Have to say Rodney Trotter, like many, seems to be totally overestimating Moran...he is a sub midfielder/forward who has played 1 game against weak opposition since returning from a 2 year lay off..if we're relying on him, we're in trouble.

Jesus, that's tough luck on O'Mahony. I assume Brosnan still isn't going to make the team even though he's the captain? While we're on Dr. Crokes, what happened to Brian Looney? He was in stellar form this year yet didn't break into a pretty open Kerry team this year.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on August 24, 2013, 01:32:01 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 24, 2013, 01:24:55 PM

Jesus, that's tough luck on O'Mahony. I assume Brosnan still isn't going to make the team even though he's the captain? While we're on Dr. Crokes, what happened to Brian Looney? He was in stellar form this year yet didn't break into a pretty open Kerry team this year.

Yeah, could be the end for Aidan sadly. Owes us nothing..great career for a guy that didn't make the Kerry minor team. 4 Celtic crosses, 2 Allstars, MOM in AI Final.

Looney is a lovely kicker, but doesn't have the pace or physique for inter-county level. He struggles to put on bulk apparently. Unfortunate as he is brilliant at club level. I don't know what you mean by "open" Kerry forward line...Gooch, Galvin, Darran, Declan, O'Donoghue are all guaranteed starters in any kind of form..then you have Donaghy, Walsh, Curtin, Moran, Sheehan, O'Leary behind them.

As for the team composition..well ye'll have to wait for what emerges from behind the gates of the stadium in Killarney.  ;)

Syferus

Darren has been in-and-out of the starting line-up for years now, though I think he's extremely unlucky to be in that position. Only Gooch and O'Donoghue in the forward lines have marked themselves out as sure-fire starters this year. If Looney had been excelling (which I have to assume be wasn't in Fitz's eyes at least) then I don't think Fitzmaurice would have had much option but to start him, he'd certainly at least be in the group of spot-starters.

Pace would probably be the reason, like you said. You have to place an even larger premium on pace when you have a mainly veteran team.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on August 24, 2013, 02:19:09 PM
Darren has been in-and-out of the starting line-up for years now, though I think he's extremely unlucky to be in that position. Only Gooch and O'Donoghue in the forward lines have marked themselves out as sure-fire starters this year. If Looney had been excelling (which I have to assume be wasn't in Fitz's eye le at least) then I don't think Fitzmaurice would have had much option but to start him, he'd certainly at least be in the group of spot-starters.

The only serious game so far was the Munster final..Galvin, Darran and Declan were fairly outstanding in that game..but your mind tends to drift a bit when it comes to discussing Kerry, so its no surprise!

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 24, 2013, 02:31:17 PM
Darren has been in-and-out of the starting line-up for years now, though I think he's extremely unlucky to be in that position. Only Gooch and O'Donoghue in the forward lines have marked themselves out as sure-fire starters this year. If Looney had been excelling (which I have to assume be wasn't in Fitz's eye le at least) then I don't think Fitzmaurice would have had much option but to start him, he'd certainly at least be in the group of spot-starters.

The only serious game so far was the Munster final..Galvin, Darran and Declan were fairly outstanding in that game..but your mind tends to drift a bit when it comes to discussing Kerry, so its no surprise!

The Cavan game looked pretty serious when Kerry started falling apart in the second half!

Seamus

Fitzmaurice allays Kingdom injury fears as Ó Sé 'fine'
Saturday, August 24, 2013

By John Fogarty
GAA Correspondent
Tomás Ó Sé has been declared fit by Eamonn Fitzmaurice ahead of Kerry's in-house training game today.
Fitzmaurice confirmed a clean bill of health for the behind-closed-doors game with five-time All-Ireland winner Ó Sé recovered from his recent back problems.

Bryan Sheehan (Achilles), Anthony Maher (back), Aidan O'Mahony (elbow), Jonathan Lyne (ankle) and James O'Donoghue (hamstring) are also good to go for the All-Ireland semi-final with Dublin on Sunday week.

"We have no injury concerns for the first time this year. We have an internal match tomorrow and it's the first time since I took over that I have a full squad available and that includes Tomás Ó Sé, who had a problem with his back, but he is fine.

"We trained on Wednesday night and he came through it. I have no concerns about at all and in fact the time off might have done him no harm because he has hardly missed a training session.

"James O'Donoghue is fine and even Jonathan Lyne is back training. It was his first bit of football in two months I would say.

"Aidan O'Mahony is fine and so is Bryan Sheehan. We will see after the [today's] game whether Jonathan Lyne will be able to play any part or not, because he has very little football played. He has made great progress and his fitness is grand."

The referee for tomorrow week's game has yet to be named with there being some trepidation in Kerry that 2011 All-Ireland referee Joe McQuillan may be appointed to the game.

Fitzmaurice insisted he wouldn't be worried were the Cavan official chosen to take charge. "You can look at that a couple of ways: the same as a player and a manager can have a bad day out. You know it yourself afterwards, you don't need anyone to tell you and the next day you go out you try and do the best again. I don't think that will be a factor one way or the other."

Although, he admitted he is surprised the referee hasn't yet been picked. "I suppose it will depend on the result of the other semi-final, whether it is a Connacht or Ulster team in the final might dictate who will get the final.

"Traditionally, the semi-final referees don't referee the final so I presume it is something to do with that.

"It is slightly unusual but it is not a big deal. All of the referees that will be in it are top refs so I wouldn't worry."

Meanwhile, Fitzmaurice said he doesn't pay much attention to Joe Brolly's punditry. The Derry native recently claimed the Finuge man was attempting to get Kerry playing like Donegal and criticised Colm Cooper's positioning "The thing about Joe is he calls it 'funditry', he's having a bit of craic. Maybe he does think we're playing like Donegal but I don't know what games he was at.

"Joe, he's a highly intelligent man. He picks at the high profile teams, at the high profile players. He gets a reaction, we're talking about him here, it's a bit of craic for him. I wouldn't take much notice of what he's saying, to be honest. Sometimes, when he actually focuses on the analysing of the game he can be quite sharp but a lot of the time he's trying to annoy someone or he's trying to get Pat Spillane going beside him or something."
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on August 24, 2013, 02:33:39 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 24, 2013, 02:31:17 PM

The Cavan game looked pretty serious when Kerry started falling apart in the second half!

Falling apart? As my Tyrone friends would say..Catch yourself on..9 up at half time..won by 6. Non-event really. It was worrying how stuck to the ground some players were, but Kerry quarter finals are usually (with the odd exception) rancid affairs anyway, so it wasn't a huge surprise.

yellowcard

Quote from: Seamus on August 24, 2013, 02:55:47 PM
Fitzmaurice allays Kingdom injury fears as Ó Sé 'fine'
Saturday, August 24, 2013

By John Fogarty
GAA Correspondent
Tomás Ó Sé has been declared fit by Eamonn Fitzmaurice ahead of Kerry's in-house training game today.
Fitzmaurice confirmed a clean bill of health for the behind-closed-doors game with five-time All-Ireland winner Ó Sé recovered from his recent back problems.

Bryan Sheehan (Achilles), Anthony Maher (back), Aidan O'Mahony (elbow), Jonathan Lyne (ankle) and James O'Donoghue (hamstring) are also good to go for the All-Ireland semi-final with Dublin on Sunday week.

"We have no injury concerns for the first time this year. We have an internal match tomorrow and it's the first time since I took over that I have a full squad available and that includes Tomás Ó Sé, who had a problem with his back, but he is fine.

"We trained on Wednesday night and he came through it. I have no concerns about at all and in fact the time off might have done him no harm because he has hardly missed a training session.

"James O'Donoghue is fine and even Jonathan Lyne is back training. It was his first bit of football in two months I would say.

"Aidan O'Mahony is fine and so is Bryan Sheehan. We will see after the [today's] game whether Jonathan Lyne will be able to play any part or not, because he has very little football played. He has made great progress and his fitness is grand."

The referee for tomorrow week's game has yet to be named with there being some trepidation in Kerry that 2011 All-Ireland referee Joe McQuillan may be appointed to the game.

Fitzmaurice insisted he wouldn't be worried were the Cavan official chosen to take charge. "You can look at that a couple of ways: the same as a player and a manager can have a bad day out. You know it yourself afterwards, you don't need anyone to tell you and the next day you go out you try and do the best again. I don't think that will be a factor one way or the other."

Although, he admitted he is surprised the referee hasn't yet been picked. "I suppose it will depend on the result of the other semi-final, whether it is a Connacht or Ulster team in the final might dictate who will get the final.

"Traditionally, the semi-final referees don't referee the final so I presume it is something to do with that.

"It is slightly unusual but it is not a big deal. All of the referees that will be in it are top refs so I wouldn't worry."

Meanwhile, Fitzmaurice said he doesn't pay much attention to Joe Brolly's punditry. The Derry native recently claimed the Finuge man was attempting to get Kerry playing like Donegal and criticised Colm Cooper's positioning "The thing about Joe is he calls it 'funditry', he's having a bit of craic. Maybe he does think we're playing like Donegal but I don't know what games he was at.

"Joe, he's a highly intelligent man. He picks at the high profile teams, at the high profile players. He gets a reaction, we're talking about him here, it's a bit of craic for him. I wouldn't take much notice of what he's saying, to be honest. Sometimes, when he actually focuses on the analysing of the game he can be quite sharp but a lot of the time he's trying to annoy someone or he's trying to get Pat Spillane going beside him or something."
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

Fitzmaurice strikes me as an astute manager, diplomatically putting pressure on the referee before the game if McQuillan does get the match. His comments on Brolly are also interesting, a sort of a put down to Brooly by more or less saying 'his opinion is irrelevant'. Unfortunately for Fitzmaurice I think he has taken on the Kerry job at a bad time and I can't see them troubling Dublin.

Seamus

Syferus, Darren O'Sullivan outside of a stellar year in 2011 when he was a shoe in for Player of the Year if Kerry had won the All Ireland, in my opinion is far more effective off the bench. If Paul Geaney, a very dangerous corner forward, had not been injured for the last six months Darren may not have being starting. Don't be surprised If Paul Geaney starts against the Dubs with Darren introduced for the last twenty minutes.

"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".