Dublin vs Kerry - Sunday September 1st

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

It's nicely set up for Dublin.
The forward unit was poor the last day and I'd say Galvin will give them a collective kick up the hole.
They're playing at about 80% capacity atm.
This could be Mayo vs Donegal all over again.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2013, 09:33:18 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 05, 2013, 10:46:06 PM
Normally I would say that Kerry were a big danger going into a big game like this whilst waiting in the long grass to produce a big performance and bring the Dubs down to size. However I honestly don't think it's in this Kerry team anymore. Their build up play is too slow and laboured and lacks any great pace or incisiveness. Players such as Tomas OSe and Galvin don't have the engines they once had. How in Gods name will Galvin keep up with McCaffrey. Kerry may still retain a lot of good footballers but to paraphrase Martin Carney, I think the music died for a lot of those fellows a year or two ago. Imo this will be the more one sided of the 2 semi finals.

Tomas O Se more then still has the engine. Having a fine season. That's lazy analysis based on a birth-cert.

On form all things point to a Dublin win. But form goes out of the window when we play Kerry.

When you're an older team you target certain matches. Cavan wasn't one of them. Tipperary wasn't one of them.

Cork was and they ripped them to shreds in the first half. Kerry's aim all season has been with the minimum of fuss to make the semis and they've done it.

When you've got the all-ireland medals in the arse pocket like these guys have the performance is always in there.

Its analysis based on the Kerry matches I have watched in the last year or two not on a birth cert. Its no slight on O'Se who has been the best wing back of his generation and is still a good player but imo he has dipped below the levels of 4/5 years ago. Galvin even though he is younger is even more noticeably so, he looks far too stiff and bulky and lacks the same ability to get around the pitch. They still have the football in their feet but I just feel that if Dublin play at the level of pace and intensity that they have done all season (which they will) then Kerry won't be able to match it.

yellowcard

Quote from: heffo on August 06, 2013, 09:39:46 AM
Normally I would say that Kerry were a big danger going into a big game like this whilst waiting in the long grass to produce a big performance and bring the Dubs down to size. However I honestly don't think it's in this Kerry team anymore. Their build up play is too slow and laboured and lacks any great pace or incisiveness. Players such as Tomas OSe and Galvin don't have the engines they once had. How in Gods name will Galvin keep up with McCaffrey. Kerry may still retain a lot of good footballers but to paraphrase Martin Carney, I think the music died for a lot of those fellows a year or two ago. Imo this will be the more one sided of the 2 semi finals.

Tomas O Se more then still has the engine. Having a fine season. That's lazy analysis based on a birth-cert.

On form all things point to a Dublin win. But form goes out of the window when we play Kerry.

When you're an older team you target certain matches. Cavan wasn't one of them. Tipperary wasn't one of them.

Cork was and they ripped them to shreds in the first half. Kerry's aim all season has been with the minimum of fuss to make the semis and they've done it.

When you've got the all-ireland medals in the arse pocket like these guys have the performance is always in there.

Agree 100% with that - I'd say Galvin would love to hear how a youngfella who has acheived nothing (albeit one with a bright future ahead of him) is going to destroy one of the best players of the modern era

Kerry have a last kick in them and no better opponent than ourselves to bring it out.

To be honest if Fitzmaurice has any tac tical nous at all, and I don't think he is stupid, he will not give us the chance to find out. Can't see him putting Galvin on McCaffrey unless he wants to soften him up early on.

Hound

If the Dubs go man-for-man at the back like they've done most of the time, I think Gooch will revert to the full forward line and Kerry will try to have 3 on 3 contests, or even 2 on 2.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Darran O'Sullivan on McCaffrey. In an effort to make McCaffrey chase back more than forward.

I think the Dubs will edge it, but not before we get a big scare. Kerry to lead at half-time, but Dublin to win.

Canalman

3/4 weeks of serious "yerraism" ahead of us.

Don' t be fooled for a minute, Kerry fully expect to win this game. A team with O'Sullivan x2, Ó Sé x 2, Donaghy, Galvin, Cooper, O'Mahony etc  should win imo. 3/4 of them would imvho be in the shake up of being in the "team of the millenium". ( the 2 Ó Sés, Cooper and Declan O'Sullivan).

Tipped them at the start of the year to win the whole thing out.

Syferus

Tomas O'Se has looked gassed in the only two championship games Kerry have played that had even an inkling of bite.

He's struggling to adapt his game to a mid-30's body. You can't charge up the field and back again as much as he's attempting to and survive even 50 minutes. It was interesting to see him trotting up the field with the ball early in the first half of the Cavan game, clearly he knows he needs to pace himself better.

AZOffaly

I certainly think Kerry will struggle to match Dublin's conditioning and pace if the tempo is kept up for 70 minutes, however Kerry still have fine footballers and I would not be surprised to see the likes of Dec O'Sullivan, Gooch and even Donaghy having big games against Dublin.

Kerry will try to get a lead on Dublin early, to introduce the odd doubts and to make Dublin chase the game. Then they will try to clamp it down, with a fair few 'tactical' fouls I'd imagine. Whether this works or not will depend on how Dublin react. If they keep calm, and keep playing their game, they will win.

People have been saying that Dublin are regressing slightly as they go through the year and the opponents get better, but they still beat Cork by 5 points. If they work on decision making and capitalising on one on one goal chances instead of being greedy, they'll put up a big score. If they had taken half their goal chances against Cork they'd have won by 14 or 15 points and we'd be talking about an absolute demolition job.

Declan

This is really a false war. A bit like 2 bridesmaids fighting over being chief to the bride as Mayo are shoo-ins for Sam anyway. In that event I think we should beat them and usher a few great players into retirement ;)

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 06, 2013, 01:04:56 PM
People have been saying that Dublin are regressing slightly as they go through the year and the opponents get better, but they still beat Cork by 5 points. If they work on decision making and capitalising on one on one goal chances instead of being greedy, they'll put up a big score. If they had taken half their goal chances against Cork they'd have won by 14 or 15 points and we'd be talking about an absolute demolition job.
Their greediness has been highlighted on a number of occasions this summer and the messages obviously aren't getting through. I'm sure they have talked about it in training and match preparations.
Benard Brogan is in a confidence vacuum and Gavin is in a difficult position. Leave him on because he has the ability to spark back to form or bench him (for Dean Rock), which would obviously damage his confidence even further.
I'd bench him personally.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Declan on August 06, 2013, 01:31:04 PM
This is really a false war. A bit like 2 bridesmaids fighting over being chief to the bride as Mayo are shoo-ins for Sam anyway. In that event I think we should beat them and usher a few great players into retirement ;)
sickening, sickening arrogance

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Captain Obvious

Cork v Dublin wasn't one sided and Kerry are better side than Cork. Mayo v Tyrone is more likely to be one sided than this game and Kerry of the underdogs are most likely to cause a upset.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: muppet on August 06, 2013, 01:57:22 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 06, 2013, 01:35:22 PM

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Ah, I see you pulled your head out of Seafoid's arse long enough to post that comment.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 06, 2013, 02:55:57 PM

Ah, I see you pulled your head out of Seafoid's arse long enough to post that comment.

;D
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 06, 2013, 02:55:57 PM

You should probably find somewhere else to post your fantasies.
MWWSI 2017